IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need Advice: Tire Pressure Sensor not compatible with Volks

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 03:40 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice: Tire Pressure Sensor not compatible with Volks

After speaking with Lexus Techs, the tire pressure sensors on the IS350 are not compatible with Volk SF-Winnings (not able to properly secure them). I'm assuming that they're not compatible with any Volk Wheels. Without the Tire Pressure Sensors, you will constantly have the "!" Warning Lights in 2 places.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I was advised not to use a Strapping method, where the sensors are strapped into the wheels instead of screwed to the wheels.

What should I do? Thx.

BTW... if I can't find a workable alternative, I'm gonna have to sell these wheels and tires (wife will NOT drive with the warning lights on). I'm in San Diego.

Volk SF-Winnings Gunmetal 19x8.5 F. (38 Offset) 19x9.5 R. (42 Offset)
Toyo T1-R tires 235 35 19, 275 30 19
BRAND NEW. You would pay what I paid, but not have the wait.

Please, Please, Please, Someone have the solution. Thanks.

Rick
Old 05-01-06, 03:44 PM
sbasinger
Rookie

I have Volk GT-7s and my sensors work just fine. Im not sure how they are mounted inside, but i think they may be strapped.
Old 05-01-06, 03:48 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mmm, I would like to know myself. I've been pondering how you get around the TPMS.

I'm getting Volks as well, I don't really want to put it all of it into the spare tire either.
Old 05-01-06, 03:49 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard that the Volk 2 piece wheels (forged rim and cast spokes) including the Winnings are not compatible with the TPM's. The Volk 1 piece forged rims don't have the ridge inside the wheels where the 2 pieces connect to get in the way so they are compatible with the TPM's.

You could always do the wheelbarrow wheel in the trunk idea.
Old 05-01-06, 04:14 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by al503
I've heard that the Volk 2 piece wheels (forged rim and cast spokes) including the Winnings are not compatible with the TPM's. The Volk 1 piece forged rims don't have the ridge inside the wheels where the 2 pieces connect to get in the way so they are compatible with the TPM's.

You could always do the wheelbarrow wheel in the trunk idea.
So basically, it will work with the one piece forged wheels like the TE37's and CE28's?

How does the TPMS mount? From reading this thread it seems like it is screwed onto the inside of the rim?
Old 05-01-06, 04:40 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

are SF challenges 2 piece or 1 piece, i dont see any rivets on them
Old 05-01-06, 04:44 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
are SF challenges 2 piece or 1 piece, i dont see any rivets on them
The SF Challenge is 2 piece forged.

Yes there are rivets on these wheels.
Old 05-01-06, 04:56 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pocky
So basically, it will work with the one piece forged wheels like the TE37's and CE28's?

How does the TPMS mount? From reading this thread it seems like it is screwed onto the inside of the rim?
That's what I was told when I ordered my Progressive Spokes a few days ago. The one piece rim doesn't have a little ridge inside the wheel that gets in the way of the TPM's.

It would have made the decision between the SF Challenge and the Progressive Spoke a lot harder for me if the TPS did fit in them. If the SF Challenge was as light as the Progressive Spoke, then I would have said 'wheel barrow wheel here I come.'
Old 05-01-06, 05:13 PM
pocky
mooncake master

So I guess I won't have any problems then. Good to know.
Old 05-01-06, 08:22 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

I shoulda done a search first. My bad. Thanks for all who contributed to this subject in the past. I think I'll do the "wheel barrel tire" fix.

Thx
Old 05-01-06, 08:26 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Don't know if you want to go this route or not, but someone mentioned strapping the TPM's to the center of the wheel. I beveive that is how some other manufacturers do it anyway...
Old 05-02-06, 08:57 AM
mr.BeboT
Driver

Default keeeeez...

I also have those rims (just waiting for the car!!). After about 2 weeks of research my rim guy said we would be able to secure it properly. Whether strapping is involved i'm not sure, but I've used the same tire/rim guy for all my family cars as well as friends (over 2 dozen) So I trust his judgement.
Old 05-02-06, 02:28 PM
vwong
Driver

Originally Posted by pocky
Are you asking about the TPMS for the stock IS wheels? From my research, most TPMS are part of the valve stem nowadays. So the TPMS is inserted through the valve stem hole on the rim. The problem with Volk 2-piece wheels (and some other brands' 2-piece or 3-piece wheels) is that the vale stem hole is on the rim behind the spokes. These wheels require a 90-degree angle valve stem. The valve stem on the TPMS is straight, so it's not ideal to have your valve stem pointing toward the hub behind the spokes.
Old 05-02-06, 02:37 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by vwong
Are you asking about the TPMS for the stock IS wheels? From my research, most TPMS are part of the valve stem nowadays. So the TPMS is inserted through the valve stem hole on the rim. The problem with Volk 2-piece wheels (and some other brands' 2-piece or 3-piece wheels) is that the vale stem hole is on the rim behind the spokes. These wheels require a 90-degree angle valve stem. The valve stem on the TPMS is straight, so it's not ideal to have your valve stem pointing toward the hub behind the spokes.
Ahhh, I see.

Thanks for the info V.
Old 05-02-06, 02:38 PM
varok
Driver

I have the exact same SF-Winning wheels and my tire shop was able to put the sensors back but I have my stems straight.

Quick Reply: Need Advice: Tire Pressure Sensor not compatible with Volks