IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

iPod causing noise in 'AUX' radio position

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-06, 04:27 PM
bberisford
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod causing noise in 'AUX' radio position

I hear a high pitched whine coming from the radio speakers whenver I have my iPod hooked up and the radio in the 'AUX' position. Whine is subtle but persistent. Pitch of the whine varies with engine RPM and is present even if iPod is turned off.

Following dealer recommendations, I've purchased (at my expense - Lexus will not pay) a 'Ground Loop Isolator' from Radio Shack. The device installs between the iPod outlet and the AUX in-port in the console. Whine problem solved. BUT -- what a cludge in the console. The isolator filter is about the size of a D cell battery. With the wires and two-to one adapters, the whole thing takes half the console volume. It looks awful.

I think I'll take it to the dealer to complain this is not a Lexus Quality fix, and ask to surface my dissatisfaction up the Lexus food chain. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-06, 04:35 PM
jinetix
Pole Position

The whine should only exist when you have the iPod hooked up to another adapter such as the Belkin auto kit. It shouldn't have a whine if the auxiliary cable is directly connected to the iPod. I also have the ground loop isolator and think it clutters the center compartment.

The problem is not exclusive to Lexus. I had a Pioneer head unit with an auxiliary input in my previous car and it had the same issue.
Old 05-01-06, 04:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bberisford
I hear a high pitched whine coming from the radio speakers whenver I have my iPod hooked up and the radio in the 'AUX' position. Whine is subtle but persistent. Pitch of the whine varies with engine RPM and is present even if iPod is turned off.

Following dealer recommendations, I've purchased (at my expense - Lexus will not pay) a 'Ground Loop Isolator' from Radio Shack. The device installs between the iPod outlet and the AUX in-port in the console. Whine problem solved. BUT -- what a cludge in the console. The isolator filter is about the size of a D cell battery. With the wires and two-to one adapters, the whole thing takes half the console volume. It looks awful.

I think I'll take it to the dealer to complain this is not a Lexus Quality fix, and ask to surface my dissatisfaction up the Lexus food chain. Thoughts?
We all have this problem and most of us with mp3 players or ipods have the Ground Loop Isolator from the rat shack. No one not even me can see mine when it is installed so it doesn't look bad. If you search some of the posts here, you can find entire threads discussing the problem plus details on a potential fix offered by the dealer. Might help you work them to get this resolved, where in MO are you?

BTW, I don't get this whining noise unless my ipod is connected to power, no?
Old 05-01-06, 06:05 PM
bberisford
Driver School Candidate

Default iPod noise in AUX

Yes, the problem is only present when the iPod is connected to power. Seems like a reasonable thing to do. Too bad Lexus didn't engineer the AUX connection to included a ground loop isolator in anticipatation of this mode of use. Not very effective systems engineering.

Anybody try to run it up the Lexus food chain?

Tx,
Old 05-01-06, 06:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bberisford
Yes, the problem is only present when the iPod is connected to power. Seems like a reasonable thing to do. Too bad Lexus didn't engineer the AUX connection to included a ground loop isolator in anticipatation of this mode of use. Not very effective systems engineering.

Anybody try to run it up the Lexus food chain?

Tx,
They are already aware. I'm positive.