IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

35% Tint Photos?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 09:31 AM
IXLRS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you can see, on a cloudy day a 35% tint (32% in my case) does darken up. Mine is Madico Onyx mettallic tint so has a slightly different look than ceramic or carbon tint.

After I got my tint done I drove home and took a few pictures looking out of the side window on a sunny day, just to see the contrast between the tinted vs non-tinted window (I know, I should seek help

Looking out of the side window on a sunny day.

More sun

Last edited by IXLRS; 05-02-06 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-02-06, 11:05 AM
kenne74
Rookie

I don't mind dark tint i just don't feel like being harrassed by the cops. I've only had one run in with the law and it was a city cop and he was upset because he couldn't see my temp plate thru the tinted window. Lucky for me i was out of state. I'll probably stick with 35% and i think i should be fine, i'll just wait until i have my plates before i tint the car.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 05-02-06, 12:23 PM
DaSweetgrl
Rookie

IXLRS: That really gives me a good idea of what to expect. 35. What is the Maddico Onyx tint?

Lorna
Old 05-02-06, 12:42 PM
Jkeys
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up my new IS last night and I am taking it in for the tint next week. The saleswoman convinced me to go with 50% because it was darker than the 35% and that it would look better. She said you could barely tell if a window was even tinted at 35%. I have Black on Black and after seeing these pictures I think that the 35% would be plenty of tint (and legal). Does anyone have 50% and for those with 35% do you wish you had 50%?
Old 05-02-06, 12:51 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jkeys
I just picked up my new IS last night and I am taking it in for the tint next week. The saleswoman convinced me to go with 50% because it was darker than the 35% and that it would look better. She said you could barely tell if a window was even tinted at 35%. I have Black on Black and after seeing these pictures I think that the 35% would be plenty of tint (and legal). Does anyone have 50% and for those with 35% do you wish you had 50%?
35% is darker than 50%..the number percentage is how much light the tint lets through..so if you get 50 its going to be pretty light
Old 05-02-06, 01:01 PM
Jkeys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
35% is darker than 50%..the number percentage is how much light the tint lets through..so if you get 50 its going to be pretty light
That is what I thought. She was all backwards. Also, I just looked at that website with the legal limit and it is 50% here in Ohio on the front. Anyone have a problem with 35% in OH? Would it look silly to have 50% in the front and 35% everywhere else?
Old 05-02-06, 01:29 PM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jkeys
That is what I thought. She was all backwards. Also, I just looked at that website with the legal limit and it is 50% here in Ohio on the front. Anyone have a problem with 35% in OH? Would it look silly to have 50% in the front and 35% everywhere else?
i think 35% is basically accepted nationwide, I WOULD THINK, casue supposedly in NY its 70%, with 70% i might as well put saram wrap on my windows
Old 05-02-06, 01:46 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
not here in NY..if you get a ticket you only have to take the tint off if u dont wanna pay the ticket..otherwise u just pay it and then leave your tint alone

does anybody know if it is that way in ohio?
Old 05-02-06, 01:56 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
Is it as hard to see out as it is to see in? Never been in a car with tint. Basically, does the driver have difficulty seeing with tinted windows?

Lorna
You can think of it like a nice pair of sunglasses. When you have them on, well they block out the sun considerably but when people look in they cant see your eyes. Yes it is easier to see out of tint due to higher levels of light than it is to see in. Thus, if your sunroof is open it is easier to see in than if it were to be closed. Tint wont become a hazard to your driving just as sunglasses arent until night time comes or if it is extreme. Yes 5% is extreme. At night you cannot see your side mirrors without rolling the windows down.
Old 05-02-06, 07:54 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dajwilson
Wow! You must live in a model city; if your cops don't have enough real crime so they have to stake out tint shops. I'd love to live there.
lol... "model city"... thats' a good one

No, it's illegal to tint your front windows at all which is total horse**** imo. We DO get 100°+ summers here with 90%+ humidity, in addition to the -10° snowy winters. It's kinda like robbing a bank... you WILL get busted for it.
Old 05-02-06, 09:01 PM
acsan
Driver

Originally Posted by stangd1909
For people that are intrested these are all the tint laws by state.

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/
cool link...very informative!

thanks!
Old 05-02-06, 10:00 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really don't think that link posted is accurate... I'm finding way too many inconsistancies with other pages. Google "Window Tint Laws" and see what I mean.
Old 05-02-06, 10:33 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DaSweetgrl
IXLRS: That really gives me a good idea of what to expect. 35. What is the Maddico Onyx tint?

Lorna
madico onyx isn't really recommended for cars with NAV... as it disrupts the signal... especiallly if you get it really dark..

ixlrs doens't seem to have a problem with it though! looking good.
Old 05-02-06, 10:39 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Where is the antenna for the NAV? rear windshield?
Old 05-02-06, 11:43 PM
IXLRS
Rookie

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Where is the antenna for the NAV? rear windshield?

Good question, I was wondering that myself. I think it's in the front windsheild. I've had no issues with my NAVi & Madico Onyx, maybe it's brand specific. I use my NAVI just about every day. Works even better than my 04 TL did.

Last edited by IXLRS; 05-03-06 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: 35% Tint Photos?