IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Jeremy Clarkson about IS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 01:14 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are killing me.... and you obviously have no idea who Clarkson is.

He makes a living writing about cars, and oh, there's that little show he has that attracts a few million viewers from all across Europe:

http://bbc.co.uk/topgear

Clarkson = God.

Ok, so maybe not quite, but getting your panties in a wad over his reviews is missing the point. He's a great writer, and makes a living with colorful reviews. It's a damn site better than reading the usual drivel that auto journos spit out on a regular basis.

Last edited by monkeyfarm; 05-02-06 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-02-06, 01:23 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's quite a complimentary article from Clarkson - usually he is much harsher than that. He writes these articles for the Sunday Times and most of each one has little to do with the car he is reviewing - it's just his style - love him or loathe him. Lexus has been in the UK for 15 years now and they still have an image problem with little brand recognition and what marketing they do features golf far too much! They still have a long way to go to be seen as on a par with BMW, Mercedes or even Audi.
Old 05-02-06, 03:14 AM
sbasinger
Rookie

At least it wasnt as bad as the review he gave of the new BMW 3 series. He claims, "the 3series is so devoid of character and soul that it may as well be a block of cheese, mild cheddar."
Old 05-02-06, 06:44 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

He's on to something with the golf buggy reference. The only thing I like about golf is driving the "buggy" around. Maybe that's why I got the Lexus. It reminded me of driving a golf cart...hmmmm
Old 05-02-06, 07:49 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

quite ironic since the topgear.com website has an article about the 250 and they absolutely loved it FOR WHAT IT WAS. the spotted on the 350 its hp and how its probably a whole other beast and reviewed the 250 for what it was
Old 05-02-06, 07:55 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well..i'm a girl and i love my 250awd actually..i see about 1 is250 awd per day and its usually women driving it
Old 05-02-06, 08:31 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

clarkson needs to drive a 350, too bad they arent available in euro, suckers
Old 05-02-06, 08:45 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
That's quite a complimentary article from Clarkson - usually he is much harsher than that. He writes these articles for the Sunday Times and most of each one has little to do with the car he is reviewing - it's just his style - love him or loathe him. Lexus has been in the UK for 15 years now and they still have an image problem with little brand recognition and what marketing they do features golf far too much! They still have a long way to go to be seen as on a par with BMW, Mercedes or even Audi.
I'd have to agree. Aside from the obvious bias for British vehicles, I enjoy his style. After bearing witness to a host of his other reviews, I'm pretty satisfied with this one.
Old 05-02-06, 10:59 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I'd have to agree. Aside from the obvious bias for British vehicles, I enjoy his style. After bearing witness to a host of his other reviews, I'm pretty satisfied with this one.
Big Andy and Shinobi-X basically hit it right on the nail. I follow Top Gear and Fifth Gear religiously and enjoy both gangs. Lexus has always had an image problem in Europe just like Honda does with the much younger crowd (although the new Civic might change that). For us U.S. members, remember where Clarkson is coming from and the differences between markets around the world.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-02-06, 11:34 AM
akhbhaat
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
clarkson needs to drive a 350, too bad they arent available in euro, suckers
You only need to read his review of the GS430 to see what he would say about the IS350. Which is right here: http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...600870,00.html
Old 05-02-06, 11:38 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's quite a complimentary article from Clarkson - usually he is much harsher than that.
I agree, I was expecting much worse from Mr. Clarkson.
Old 05-02-06, 11:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

his M5 article is funny, most of the time hes ranting about the navigation
Old 05-02-06, 11:45 AM
FrankyJ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sorry but this guys full of ****... the same day i got my car i got over 10 compliments from female coworkers, they all love it, they all wanted to sit in it, get driven in it, and hey i even offered them half the car, the back seat
Old 05-02-06, 11:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankyJ
im sorry but this guys full of ****... the same day i got my car i got over 10 compliments from female coworkers, they all love it, they all wanted to sit in it, get driven in it, and hey i even offered them half the car, the back seat
if you read his article any car he drives he rags on it about something, equal opportunity ragger
Old 05-02-06, 11:54 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
his M5 article is funny, most of the time hes ranting about the navigation
The Top Gear episode where he reviewed the M5 is just as funny. The NAV lady kept interrupting him as he was explaining things and he nailed how ugly the rear of the M5 is.

Originally Posted by FrankyJ
Like I said above, you really can't compare the Lexus brand between the U.S. and the rest of the world, especially UK/EU. And if you think Clarkson's article was harsh, you really don't know Clarkson well enough.

Cheers,
Kermee

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson about IS