IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I will probably purchase a 07.....something.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 02:11 PM
heasyrider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I will probably purchase a 07.....something.

Hello, I have posted a couple of times, and I really like the 2IS. Every time I see one on the road, I think it will be my choice, then, I see a new Acura TL and think, wait a minute... I really like it! Then, later, I see the IS again and know I will have a tough decision to make. Of course, I have not test driven them yet, which is not helping. There will be an updated TL for 07 too, which I will need to evaluate. I know I am mostly going by looks, but, I have already begun to think about all the other factors.

Any of you that have not bought yet have this kind of reaction to a TL on a day to day basis, or any other car for that matter?
Old 05-03-06, 02:24 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heasyrider
Hello, I have posted a couple of times, and I really like the 2IS. Every time I see one on the road, I think it will be my choice, then, I see a new Acura TL and think, wait a minute... I really like it! Then, later, I see the IS again and know I will have a tough decision to make. Of course, I have not test driven them yet, which is not helping. There will be an updated TL for 07 too, which I will need to evaluate. I know I am mostly going by looks, but, I have already begun to think about all the other factors.

Any of you that have not bought yet have this kind of reaction to a TL on a day to day basis, or any other car for that matter?
The TL was my first choice before I heard about the 2IS, but the whole fact that it's front wheel drive and it's a Honda is what kept me from buying it. Once the 2IS came out, I knew I had to have it.
Old 05-03-06, 02:32 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea before the IS came out i wanted the TL when I graduated college, then I went to the Taste of Lexus driving event and drove the IS, the rest was history, im waiting for the 07. 07 TL is suppose to be its mid life refresh, rumor of a TL-S is coming out for 07 also 290 hp
Old 05-03-06, 03:03 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Payam
The TL was my first choice before I heard about the 2IS, but the whole fact that it's front wheel drive and it's a Honda is what kept me from buying it. Once the 2IS came out, I knew I had to have it.
Here we go again.

Well you bought a Lexus and its a Toyota.
Old 05-03-06, 04:20 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, isn't the TL literally a Honda in other markets? :P
Old 05-03-06, 04:22 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by knihc2008
Nope. I dont think it is.

Think its only told in North America.

The Acura TSX is a Euro Accord.
Old 05-03-06, 04:48 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Here we go again.

And Infiniti is a Nissan. Do I get a cookie?
I was just stating that I don't like Honda, not that it's a bad car, afterall, I almost bought one. I don't know what it is, I just have never liked the brand Honda in anything, I guess all the ricers around here just put a bad taste in my mouth for the brand.
Old 05-03-06, 04:52 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on which year. If you are talking about the new TL, then it is only sold in North America.

The OLD 2nd Gen TL however, was sold as the Honda Inspire & Honda Saber in Japan. The new replacement Honda Inspire is actually our US market Honda Accord.
Old 05-03-06, 05:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Here we go again.

Nope. Giant difference in philosophy.
The TL since 1999 has been designed in California and made in Ohio for the AMerican market. The 3rd gen TL is a USDM car only. Clearly its a good car, but it is based off the Accord, as the ES is based off the Camry.

The IS is based off the GS, both now Lexus only models. And IMO, you just can't compare a car based on a MORE EXPENSIVE car to a car based on a LESS EXPENSIVE one.

The build quality difference will be quite apparent.

Lexus more than the other 2 brands has done an exceptional job seperating itself from parent company, and CLEARLY the market has responsded, as Lexus is a Tier 1 luxury brand.

Also while Acura is USDM only, Lexus has been worldwide since 1989.
Old 05-03-06, 05:32 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in a similar position myself, and I briefly looked at the TL, too.

While it's a cool-looking car, it's been around long enough that it's kinda starting to look a little tiny bit grey around the temples, if you know what I mean. Also, it's FWD - if that bothers you any - and it's only a 3.2 liter engine.

But what really bothered me was when I hung around the TL forums for awhile, and heard all the complaints about the rattles and squeaks and the bad transmissions and the other issues. Even the guys who say they love their TL's admit they rattle like crazy. And I can't tolerate a rattly car.

Now, I know you hear from the "squeaky wheels" on car forums, but you can draw some conclusions from the sheer number of complaints of a given kind, and I didn't like what I heard

IMO, the TL and the IS have a similar styling theme - low nose, short rear deck, snarky look. The IS's styling is just newer and fresher, and IMO classier. And I'll bet the engineering and construction are a huge cut above the TL's, too.
Old 05-03-06, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I'm in a similar position myself, and I briefly looked at the TL, too.

While it's a cool-looking car, it's been around long enough that it's kinda starting to look a little tiny bit grey around the temples, if you know what I mean. Also, it's FWD - if that bothers you any - and it's only a 3.2 liter engine.

But what really bothered me was when I hung around the TL forums for awhile, and heard all the complaints about the rattles and squeaks and the bad transmissions and the other issues. Even the guys who say they love their TL's admit they rattle like crazy. And I can't tolerate a rattly car.

Now, I know you hear from the "squeaky wheels" on car forums, but you can draw some conclusions from the sheer number of complaints of a given kind, and I didn't like what I heard

IMO, the TL and the IS have a similar styling theme - low nose, short rear deck, snarky look. The IS's styling is just newer and fresher, and IMO classier. And I'll bet the engineering and construction are a huge cut above the TL's, too.
IMO the TL is a good looking car, and somehow, Honda hid its FWD layout wiith the styling. It almost looks RWD. I am not a big fan of huge front overhangs though. I love the IS squat lines and short overhangs.

Both good looking cars.
Old 05-03-06, 05:46 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
this gen TL doesnt exist outside the US, its assembled in the US, even japan doesnt have it
Old 05-03-06, 07:06 PM
Style2k6
Pole Position

1sicklex 20,000 post NOW THAT is impressive!

Sorry to jump off the subject.
Old 05-03-06, 08:23 PM
krookid
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
this gen TL doesnt exist outside the US, its assembled in the US, even japan doesnt have it
Canada has it.
Old 05-03-06, 09:20 PM
Irishfan
Driver

At the limit, TL has gobs of torque steer. If you don't like to understeer/wheel hop, I'd go IS purely on the merit of RWD. Both cars are winners in my book.

Quick Reply: I will probably purchase a 07.....something.