IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Problem with Sun Roof... Totally not expected for a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 12:25 PM
VanIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Problem with Sun Roof... Totally not expected for a Lexus

This sun roof problem from my IS350 just came up recently, around a month ago. It started out as a rattle so I went to one of the Lexus dealer to fix it. When that was fixed, another problem was introduced; there was no more rattle but whenever I slide open the sun roof it makes a loud noice as if the rear part of the sun roof is hitting something, it's fine when it's tilted open. It's annoying because everytime when I try to enjoy the sun with a open sun roof, I always have to go through that loud hitting noice ... So I brought it back to the same dealer for a few times, but problem was not fixed.... The service co-ordinator there told me that they don't know to fix it, all they can do is report this to Lexus and wait for a reply. All they could do is lubricate it , but that doesn't help at all.

So I went to another Lexus dealer. This dealer told me that they'll try to replace the rubble sealing for me to see if that would help... but it's about 3 weeks now and the part still hasn't arrived.... .

Just wanna share that with you guys and see if anyone has the same problem as I do. It's just really disappointing to have this happen to such a nice car, especially when it's only a few months old. My family and I have always been Toyota/Lexus fans ever since, and one of the most important thing we like about it is their quality. We had many cars which were equiped with sun roof before, but none of that has anywhere similar problem.

Last edited by VanIS350; 05-04-06 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 07:42 PM
skorpio
Driver

To tell you the truth Im amazed that for so much electronics as we get in this car we arent really epiriencing many big problems. For my IS 350 I have no issiues at all, maybe Im lucky but I bought an 06 cobalt and what a piece of crap that was! It was also a brand new car and even tho the engine was made since 02 (I believe) it still had valve knock since brand new and was leaking trans fluid at 12k miles so i just got rid of it and got an IS, I drove cobalt for 7 months and lost 33% of my money so again, for this car to be so technologically advanced and being a first year model, Im really happy that all we have wrong with it is just rattles because we have a brand new direct injectionengine and brand new 6 spd trans... so its not looking that bad at least in my opinion but than again, I have no problems with mine at all

just my .02

regards, Bart.
Old 05-05-06, 08:00 PM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

You shouldn't open the sunroof all the way when you're driving. You'll notice on the sunroof control **** that there is a little icon past the last indicator. Turn it to the second to last position to avoid the loud noise your talking about. It can also sound like a helicopter noise at times.
Old 05-05-06, 10:15 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

Crack the windows and you'll cut down on the "helicopter" noise. I think it's from the air sucking in and out of the same hole. I have a jerk friend that rolls up and down the passenger window every couple of minutes and it just pulls on my eardrums like they're popping. I crack my window, problem solved.
Old 05-11-06, 08:54 AM
VanIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RCPiercy
Crack the windows and you'll cut down on the "helicopter" noise. I think it's from the air sucking in and out of the same hole. I have a jerk friend that rolls up and down the passenger window every couple of minutes and it just pulls on my eardrums like they're popping. I crack my window, problem solved.
No, I am not talking about the "helicopter" noice. The noice I am talking about occurs when I slide open the sun roof. You know how the rear end of the sun roof has to come down before it slide back to open?? The noice is made by the rear end of the sun roof coming down and hitting something, and it's a loud "clunk" noice everytime I open it

I know IS350 is a first year production car, but that should only affect new technology ie, the new 6sp trans and direct fuel injection system, however the components for sun roof is nothing. I don't think the IS can be compared to a cobalt on a price and quality scale, but I guess I am just so used to the good quality and reliability from Lexus/Toyota and not expecting this problem still being around after going to the dealer 4-5 times regarding the same issue.