IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$940(!!!!) for port-installed XM??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 04:03 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer (Ray Catena Lexus of NJ) quoted me 495 for the XM install.. Seems like the average cost.

I personally want to try to install it myself, but ive never done a DIY before on any car for anything (save change a headlight bulb). Does it come with explicit instructions with the kit?
Old 05-05-06, 06:48 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

I ended up putting a hold deposit on the car at the 2nd dealer...the odds of finding an available 350 in silver *and* sport package is pretty low, and since they agreed to do the XM for "free" I grabbed the chance. The car came in at 10am this morning and I just happened to call them at 12:30 to ask about what they'd charge for XM. I went in to drive it and had to wait a bit because they hadn't even PDI'd it yet. (Sport >>>> lux, hands down) Hope to sign all the papers in a week or two.
Old 05-05-06, 08:12 PM
vasco
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikewpu04
My dealer (Ray Catena Lexus of NJ) quoted me 495 for the XM install.. Seems like the average cost.

I personally want to try to install it myself, but ive never done a DIY before on any car for anything (save change a headlight bulb). Does it come with explicit instructions with the kit?
When you go the Sewell Lexus website, and pick XM radio from their parts/accessories page, there is a pdf file with the installation instructions. You don't have to order the kit to see/download the file. I reviewed the installation, then went back and ordered the kit. The instructions are explicit.
Old 05-05-06, 08:25 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does(Is) Lexus have(going to have) a XM contract for the port installed XM or will they offer it for Sirius too.
Old 05-05-06, 09:31 PM
lesman01
Driver School Candidate

I installed XM myself and it's not hard at all. Evrything you need to access is in the truck. Hardest part was taking the trunk apart. I really could have used one of the pin puller tools they mention in the instructions.

Also, instructions say to mount the antenna on the trunk. I mounted mine on the rear deck just in front of the brake light. Just pull the deck brake light straight towards you from inside and it comes right out.and there's straight access to the trunk from there. REception is perfect, even with tinted windows and sitting directly under the radio antenna. it took me about 3 hours because I was SUPER careful. I could do it agin in about 30 minutes.
Old 05-06-06, 12:20 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(Sport >>>> lux, hands down) Hope to sign all the papers in a week or two.[/QUOTE]

uh, wrong. the sport package ride is harsh. aside from that its the same car. even autoweek which seems to review only sport pkgs on cars says its harsh ride in the IS lowers the rating of the car from great to good. I am so glad I test drove both setups. the IS sport pkg is better riding than the stock TL but its crap compared to the lux ride.
Old 05-06-06, 04:45 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by digital_b

uh, wrong. the sport package ride is harsh. aside from that its the same car. even autoweek which seems to review only sport pkgs on cars says its harsh ride in the IS lowers the rating of the car from great to good. I am so glad I test drove both setups. the IS sport pkg is better riding than the stock TL but its crap compared to the lux ride.
That is what we call a SUBJECTIVE statement. If you're partial to floaty rides with more body roll then lux is your ticket. I've been driving a track-prepped A4 with staggered-rate springs and Neuspeed Bilsteins for six years now...I can assure you if you think the Lexus sport suspension is harsh, you don't know what harsh is.

I drove the lux package before I drove the sport...the sport has much better damping and rebound characteristics on long sweepers that keep the suspension loaded for longer than a 1-second bump in the road.

Autoweek talks in the language of everyday drivers and tells them what the majority of people will expect when they slip into the driver seat...that doesn't mean it covers everyone. Do you take Autoweek at their word and think "OK, they didn't like it therefore I don't need to drive it myself to see if they're wrong"? I hope you don't take everything printed in the NYT as gospel, either.

Opinions are just that...opinions...and what's right for customer A doesn't make it right for customer B.

Last edited by conekiller; 05-06-06 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-06-06, 11:19 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

go to autoweek.com and read the review. you will see that the writer said there are people on staff who disagreed. but of course he qualified that statement. not everyone wants to be a boy racer.
Old 05-06-06, 05:20 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lenscap
What's ridiculous is that Lexus has yet to offer XM from the factory. Even higher-end Honda Civics and Accords have XM standard and they are far less expensive. Further, if you get XM as a factory option on GM cars the price is $325, although I thought I heard that was dropping to $199.

Until XM becomes a Lexus factory option, which I am hoping will be in 2007, it will simply be overpriced.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. It's one of my main complaints about my car. That and the lack of a remote start. It's pathetic that Lexus is behind Pontiac and Chevy in this regard.
Old 05-07-06, 08:49 AM
tl.nguyen
Pole Position

Buy the unit and come to Florida and I'll install it for you for $100 . I can also get you a discount on the unit here.