IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

$940(!!!!) for port-installed XM??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 09:17 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $940(!!!!) for port-installed XM??

I went back to the dealer today to drive the 350 again and ask about getting XM pre-installed; they told me it's a port-installed option for $940 bucks! I'm curious to know what others have paid or what their dealers claim to charge, because I think this might be an example of dealership gouging on the price instead of Lexus. If I find out it's the dealer, I'm finding another one.
Old 05-05-06, 09:29 AM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by conekiller
I went back to the dealer today to drive the 350 again and ask about getting XM pre-installed; they told me it's a port-installed option for $940 bucks! I'm curious to know what others have paid or what their dealers claim to charge, because I think this might be an example of dealership gouging on the price instead of Lexus. If I find out it's the dealer, I'm finding another one.
<rant>You know, I love this car, but I am really getting tired of these horror stories about dealers trying to gouge people. I know we bought what most consider a luxury/expensive brand, but, come on, $900+ for XM, $700+ for install on the spoiler, $70+ oil changes? That is crazy! Just because we have the means to purchase a luxury/expensive car does not automatically mean that we should pay these outrageous prices for everything. I know the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and with these prices I would expect a "happy ending" with my oil change</rant>

To clarify, I am not tired of the people telling these tales, but I am tired of the dealers creating the situations in the tales.
Old 05-05-06, 09:37 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Especially considering what sat receivers actually cost...which is next to nothing. I paid $130 for my Pioneer sat receiver that I installed in my A4 three years ago, and many aftermarket receivers go for under $75 now. The "factory" built-in units car manufacturers are using now are largely plug & play devices and you can bet your a$$ they're paying even less for them than consumers are in the aftermarket. Paying for the priviledge of having an integrated unit sure as hell isn't worth $900, or even $200. It's not any type of special technology that commands a high price...the sat receiver is about as basic as it gets when it comes to vehicle electronics.
Old 05-05-06, 10:30 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
[B] $70+ oil changes? That is crazy!

Wow is it really $70 for an oil change? Tell me that this is not True.
Does dealer charge this much?
Old 05-05-06, 10:35 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

W000000T....found another dealer that has the exact car I'm looking for already on the lot that some customer ordered and then backed out of. He said a port install of XM would be $400 and the dealer charge is normally $658, but they'd waive the whole fee if I want the car.
Old 05-05-06, 10:42 AM
danis
Rookie

Default Xm

You are getting dealer gouged . Picked up my IS on 4/4. Sticker for port installed XM was $486.

Last edited by danis; 05-05-06 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-05-06, 10:46 AM
manpahceht
Driver School Candidate

70 bucks!!! that is insane....you could do it yourself for like 20
better be 24 karat gold oil filter
Old 05-05-06, 11:01 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

$940 is rediculous. Especially if it's port-installed. It's up to you to confront them about it or just go to another dealer. $400 for it is not bad at all if the other dealership gave you that price.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-05-06, 11:09 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350_PHIL
<rant>You know, I love this car, but I am really getting tired of these horror stories about dealers trying to gouge people. I know we bought what most consider a luxury/expensive brand, but, come on, $900+ for XM, $700+ for install on the spoiler, $70+ oil changes? That is crazy! Just because we have the means to purchase a luxury/expensive car does not automatically mean that we should pay these outrageous prices for everything. I know the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and with these prices I would expect a "happy ending" with my oil change</rant>

To clarify, I am not tired of the people telling these tales, but I am tired of the dealers creating the situations in the tales.
i'm starting to think that these dealers feel they just have us by the *****. they know somewhere along the lines someone has money to buy the car, they know we want the car and will wait however long regardless, and once you get the car they forget who you are. its a crapshute. the odds for repeat business is WAY too high in the lexus category (how many garages have you seen with 2,3,4 lexus's? it happens!) to be ****ing over customers left and right becuase 'you can'.
Old 05-05-06, 11:11 AM
Lenscap
Driver

What's ridiculous is that Lexus has yet to offer XM from the factory. Even higher-end Honda Civics and Accords have XM standard and they are far less expensive. Further, if you get XM as a factory option on GM cars the price is $325, although I thought I heard that was dropping to $199.

Until XM becomes a Lexus factory option, which I am hoping will be in 2007, it will simply be overpriced.
Old 05-05-06, 11:22 AM
jjsmith
Driver School Candidate

About $900 is what my dealer quoted me. It wasn't that important that I get it installed but I intended to have the dealer do it if the cost were reasonable. Which, of course, it wasn't. That price kind of honked me off, but I was otherwise ok with the dealer.

My solution was to buy the kit from Sewell Lexus and install it myself. I'm glad I did because I now have the same kit used by the dealer, it took about 2 hours to install, and the cost was about $250.

As for the dealer, I'm just going to make a concerted effort to go in for my "free" car wash as frequently as possible and eat a lot of snacks while I wait. My little (only??) way of stickin' it to the man.
Old 05-05-06, 11:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you drive a Lexus, what's another $1000!??!?!
Old 05-05-06, 11:55 AM
vasco
Rookie

I agree with jjsmith.

I ordered the tuner and install kit from Sewell Lexus, using the Club Lexus 10% discount. It arrived in about 4 days. It took about 2 hours to install that bad-boy. I'm up and running.

Save some cash........install it yourself. It is not difficult.
Old 05-05-06, 01:30 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vasco
I agree with jjsmith.

I ordered the tuner and install kit from Sewell Lexus, using the Club Lexus 10% discount. It arrived in about 4 days. It took about 2 hours to install that bad-boy. I'm up and running.

Save some cash........install it yourself. It is not difficult.
Exactly. I installed my rear spoiler myself. In my case the dealer wanted like $700 installed (even my salesman called thats "crazy money"). I ordered an OEM painted spoiler for $180 shipped and installed it myself. Took about 2 hours (I was super careful) and it looks great (if I do say so myself). The problem is that little book that mechanics go to to see the time it will take to do a specific task - spoiler install 4 hours, oil change .5 hour, etc (I just made up those times..) Even if it only takes 1 hour they still charge for 4. Wish I could do that!
Old 05-05-06, 01:43 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I was quoted (and agreed) to have it installed for $500 (parts and labor total) when my car comes in. Not sure if its dealer or port install.

Quick Reply: $940(!!!!) for port-installed XM??