IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aerotect Redout and Blue Fog films installed! (Pics Warning)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 12:03 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerotect Redout and Blue Fog films installed! (Pics Warning)

Hey guys, yesterday I did my 2nd biggest mod on my IS (first being nav hack). I purchased Aerotect's redout film and blue fog light films. The total price was $33.90 + $2.80 tax + free CL shipping ($24.95 fog lights, $8.95 redout taillights).

Pics are at the bottom if you want to skip to them.

First I did the redouts. The redout film is pretty thin, reminds me of real camera film (before digital cameras). I should've taken a picture of the film before install, but I forgot. Installation said use baby shampoo + water to moisten the back before applying. I found it a bit tricky, as the red outs seem to be slightly larger than the amber part. I tried to line it up with the trunk line and have any excess roll off the far side of the amber. This sorta resulted in very thin line that didn't adhere to the car due to a slight endention at that part. Make sure you measure exactly where you want it before and it will take some handling to get it right down where you want it. And you can't remove it without really loosing some of it's stickyness.

Then I did the fog light install. This film is much thicker, and actually seems pretty durable. Definitely will be able to take some hits from rocks. It's a bit smaller than the whole face of the light, so there will be some edges that isn't covered. I worked from the outer edge first, then worked inwards towards the middle of the bumper. You also may have to slightly center it vertically.
For this install, they had dry install and wet install instructions. Don't even attempt the dry install, wet is much better. The back of this film is very very sticky. Using the dry install will cause it to stick and you'll have to tug a bit on it to get it off. Doing the wet install, allows you to put the whole thing on and still be able to move it until the moisture is all gone. Be sure to spray the fog light and the back of the film with the shampoo+water mix.

More pics are in my gallery:
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...y.php?cat=3592

Redout Video (last sequence seems to be off, red looks amber, redout amber looks red red)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkKIaCWlzXg

Coming next weekend... LED DRLs + Phillips 6000k Kit from XenonDepot..

Ok, on to the pics!

Before Day

Before Night

After Day

After Night

Full Back

Last edited by AgBlue; 05-05-06 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 12:05 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Film

Film Thickness

Front Before

Front After

Angle Before

Angle After
Old 05-05-06, 12:07 PM
nixietink
Rookie

I'm doing these SAME two mods to my IS tonight!! Looks good!
Old 05-05-06, 12:12 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Left has the film, Right is Stock (pinkish hue seems to be from the garage paint)
(I covered my stock low beams to show only the fogs)

Left has film, Right is Stock (pinkish again)

Left bottom has film, The rest are stock (no HIDs in the low beams.. yet..)

Both fogs have film, notice the ground color (this pic is pretty accurate in color)

Another shot.. (this picture is pretty accurate in color)

Front car shot (again, pretty accurate.. notice the yellowness of the drl and stock low beams)
(Also the ground color is suppose to be black black as they just redid them)

Front angle shot
Old 05-05-06, 12:13 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Full shots of the car in Day

Last edited by AgBlue; 05-05-06 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-05-06, 12:43 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nixietink
I'm doing these SAME two mods to my IS tonight!! Looks good!
Yep, i'm happy with them. The fog lights came out very white after the mod. If that is what you are going for, you will be pleasently surprised by how well they work. During the day, they do kinda stand out a bit, and I think there are certain cars that look better with it than others, such as Crystal White. I feel they kinda stand out a bit on mine.

The redouts are a bit darker than the surrounding red in the day, just like some of the other pics have shown. You cannot see the seem from them until up close. Also, the red film can the creased.. so becaure when smoothing it out. I have a slight crinking on mine from that.

Something else that I thought of after installing them.. The water you use with the shampoo should probably be distilled water. I use straight tap, and didn't think about it, but we have hard water here. This might have left some slight hazyness in the fog lights, but the redouts were ok.
Old 05-05-06, 01:32 PM
Bengalfang
Driver

Very nice! If I ever get my IS I think I am going to do those MODs after seeing yours. It looks simple enough.

Think the blue fog lights will look ok with SGM?

Is it easy to undo either of the MODS in case I don't like it?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 05-05-06, 01:52 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn, the red out looks a lot better.

Do you guys think the red out is a bit too dark? or is it just me??
Old 05-05-06, 02:27 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel the same way :/ It's what's keeping me from putting down a measly 8 bucks for them.
Old 05-05-06, 02:52 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Yes, i think that the red outs do kinda stand out during the day. But at night is a whole different story. They look absolutely hot at night. The colors do match, when the light is on behind it, but it's kinda hard to tell because those amber lights are the turning lights, which means it brightens and dims as it flashes. That's why I took videos to show how they really look instead of just images at night.

As far as removing them, you just rip them off like a bandaid. The redouts are much easier to get off. I think the fog ones you may need to use some solvent to remove the stickyness cuz it holds on there pretty tight when its dry.

EDIT::

I forgot taht I don't have the videos up loaded just yet. Can anyone recommend a good site to upload to? I did google video, but it's taking them forever to verify it. Any other suggestions? Is YouTube faster?
Old 05-05-06, 03:04 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Yep, i'm happy with them. The fog lights came out very white after the mod. If that is what you are going for, you will be pleasently surprised by how well they work. During the day, they do kinda stand out a bit, and I think there are certain cars that look better with it than others, such as Crystal White. I feel they kinda stand out a bit on mine.

The redouts are a bit darker than the surrounding red in the day, just like some of the other pics have shown. You cannot see the seem from them until up close. Also, the red film can the creased.. so becaure when smoothing it out. I have a slight crinking on mine from that.

Something else that I thought of after installing them.. The water you use with the shampoo should probably be distilled water. I use straight tap, and didn't think about it, but we have hard water here. This might have left some slight hazyness in the fog lights, but the redouts were ok.
I don't think the red outs look too terribly noticeable in the day. Just looks like the surronding area for the blinker is dark red instead of orange. And as far as the blue overlays, my car is breakwater blue..so i'm hoping it will go well!

But I think it looks nice on your car..Thanks for the tips! I'll try distilled water and let you know how it is.
Old 05-05-06, 04:43 PM
Jay Slay
Driver

where can i buy those from?
Old 05-05-06, 04:49 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Maybe its my eyes... or in the last pic... the tails look brown??
Old 05-05-06, 05:28 PM
nixietink
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jay Slay
where can i buy those from?
You can buy them from Aero Tect
http://www.aerotect.net/
Old 05-05-06, 05:29 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSE25
Maybe its my eyes... or in the last pic... the tails look brown??
I think one has to be careful judging the tones of the colors very carefully in the pictures. Unless you all have color managed computers and monitors, none of us are seeing the pictures in the exact same tones. You have to think of it as an approximation: The blue is blue and the red is red. How dark, light, brownish etc. is all in your monitor and is probably not the same as what the poster sees on his car in person.

The mods look great. I personally wouldn't do the redout but I think I am sold on the blue, esp. since mine will be a BOP.

Quick Reply: Aerotect Redout and Blue Fog films installed! (Pics Warning)