IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

SR7 Radar/Laser System

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-06, 07:24 AM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SR7 Radar/Laser System

I've been thinking about purchasing a radar/laser system for my IS350. Has anyone purchased a Passport SR7 or similar type model and had it professionally installed? Where did you have it installed and do you have any recommendations or feedback?
Is it worth the extra cost to have it installed vs just purchasing a 8500 type basic model?
thanks
Old 05-06-06, 11:14 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honestly, if you're the occasional "lead-foot" person and don't plan to be holding over 100 MPH for long stretches of time, a Passport 8500 would be perfectly fine and give you plenty of warning in the same instances you would receive from a professionally installed permanent system.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-06-06, 11:33 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jjohur
Is it worth the extra cost to have it installed vs just purchasing a 8500 type basic model?
thanks

I heard that those are such a waste of money. i think V1 or 8500 will do just fine.
Old 05-06-06, 11:58 AM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

I guess you guys are probably correct. I just hate having this unit up on the dashboard and the cable dangling down to the power source. It looks horrific. I could probably hide the cable which would just leave me with the unit visible in the middle of the windshield. Still a very ugly proposition. Needless to say, I like a clean look ...

If there's not much more benefit in having the SR7 then I agree it's certainly not worth the extra cost.
Old 05-06-06, 01:05 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjohur
I guess you guys are probably correct. I just hate having this unit up on the dashboard and the cable dangling down to the power source. It looks horrific. I could probably hide the cable which would just leave me with the unit visible in the middle of the windshield. Still a very ugly proposition. Needless to say, I like a clean look ...

If there's not much more benefit in having the SR7 then I agree it's certainly not worth the extra cost.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188612
Old 05-06-06, 09:48 PM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

I read that a while back but that solution/hack looks so bad/ugly to me even though it might work great. I guess I'm looking for a better looking hack in that case.
Old 05-07-06, 12:57 AM
jcreech
Pole Position

do the diy valentine install
Old 05-07-06, 05:12 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

V1...end of discussion
Old 05-07-06, 09:47 AM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

I have the passport cordless s2. Runs on 2aa batteries. I love it and It has saved my *** more than once. HIGHLY RECOMENDED. and it costs less then the V1 and you don't have to do that stupid wiring crap. and you can just set it on your dash with the windshield mount and it wont slide all over the place and you don't have any cables. Check it out on ebay, you can get it for cheep.
Old 05-07-06, 10:28 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
I have the passport cordless s2. Runs on 2aa batteries. I love it and It has saved my *** more than once. HIGHLY RECOMENDED. and it costs less then the V1 and you don't have to do that stupid wiring crap. and you can just set it on your dash with the windshield mount and it wont slide all over the place and you don't have any cables. Check it out on ebay, you can get it for cheep.
When the cordless radar detector runs on batteries, it's effectiveness is dramatically decreased as opposed to when you use a 12v power source. In my limited experience with the cordless, this decrease in performance is unacceptable, so I returned it. The first time user wouldn't know this without comparing to something like a V1.
Old 05-07-06, 01:07 PM
vp911
Intermediate

I have the blinder for laser protection and a V1.
Old 05-07-06, 02:59 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
Wiring a V1 is a joke. I hardwired mine in under a half hour.

Spend some time with a V1 and you'll wonder how you ever lived without the directional arrows and signal counter. Radar & laser detection is worthless if you don't know which direction it's coming from. If V1s weren't worth the money, they wouldn't get nearly full retail USED on ebay. I wonder why Passports can be had "cheep"?
Old 05-09-06, 03:36 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

buy a V1...if I could have a quarter for every time it has saved me I would have about $11.50.
Old 05-09-06, 04:28 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcreech
buy a V1...if I could have a quarter for every time it has saved me I would have about $11.50.
You either don't speed or drive enough young grasshopper.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-09-06, 04:36 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

in some states they have a new ticket called intent to speed, im having a SR7 or a K40 calibre installed in about a week, along with blinders...between the two, which one would you guys recommend?

Quick Reply: SR7 Radar/Laser System