IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Auto-folding mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06 | 06:38 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Default Auto-folding mirrors?

The lexus website says that the mirrors auto-fold. And its standard...

I didnt know this, and dont think they auto-fold. is this true?

"

Mirrors

Power-adjustable, auto-folding outside mirrors with puddle lamps

Electrochromic auto-dimming outside mirrors with auto tilt-down in reverse

Optional"
Old 05-07-06 | 06:48 PM
gettingais
Rookie

I've been trying to figure out what this means too.
Old 05-07-06 | 07:03 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

I knew the mirrors had the auto tilt-down option but i didnt know that they have auto-folding???

Someone confirm this?
Old 05-07-06 | 07:34 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Most cars in Japan, have power folding mirrors. Because the space in Japan is so tight, they incorperate this feature.

It's a "JDM" Thing.
Old 05-07-06 | 07:49 PM
lexus27
Pit Crew

could have been a nice added feature for our car since our side view mirrors are so big. i've seen these auto folding mirrors in japan a long time ago and it looks so cool when they fold after you turn off your engine.
Old 05-07-06 | 07:53 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexus27
could have been a nice added feature for our car since our side view mirrors are so big. i've seen these auto folding mirrors in japan a long time ago and it looks so cool when they fold after you turn off your engine.
Somewhat off topic, but a lot of people say the mirrors are big, but I continue to think they look completely appropriate and proportional. I guess I've started to see other mirrors as dangerously small.
Old 05-07-06 | 08:19 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

i'd love to get my hands on some power-folding mirrors.
Old 05-07-06 | 09:33 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

Originally Posted by DanIS350
Somewhat off topic, but a lot of people say the mirrors are big, but I continue to think they look completely appropriate and proportional. I guess I've started to see other mirrors as dangerously small.
These mirrors are much bigger then most cars...which I love. I can see more with the side mirrors in my 2IS then any other car Ive owned (not truck).

Power folding mirrors are def cool... but, I like how the mirrors actually are able to bend the OTHER way in case they do get clocked by an oncoming car. I doubt power folding mirrors would allow much room for error and be ruined easily.
Old 05-07-06 | 09:34 PM
gettingais
Rookie

Are they auto-folding as in when you park they should fold in? My mirrors don't do that...Is there a setting I have to change? I looked through the manual and only found information on folding them manually (boring!)
Old 05-07-06 | 09:37 PM
evotolexus
Driver

Originally Posted by gettingais
Are they auto-folding as in when you park they should fold in? My mirrors don't do that...Is there a setting I have to change? I looked through the manual and only found information on folding them manually (boring!)
No, it's not a feature on the US models. It's standard in Japan. Having a car with foldling mirrors in Japan is standard like A/C or a stereo.
Old 05-07-06 | 10:01 PM
pocky
mooncake master

You know, I read your post way too fast.

I now realize you meant on the U.S. Lexus website, and that is states that our U.S. cars have auto folding.

Well, it obviously doesn't. But, kinda interesting. Maybe they were going to include it in U.S cars?
Old 05-07-06 | 11:09 PM
DanIS350
Rookie

Well, I guess we found out what the three buttons are for on the lefthand side of the dash:

Rear Shade, Headlamp Wash, and Mirror Folding
Old 05-07-06 | 11:27 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dominant1
what it means is that the mirrors themselves fold space and time when adjusted. Be careful its a powerfull feature. When activated a brilliant light suddenly illuminates the cockpit, then you are whisked off to the lexus zone. Where you are met by 5 virgin nymphs who suddenly want you because you drive an Is 350. If you refuse them you are suddenly whisked back, and the car your driving is a ford pinto..........lol gentlemen, just thought I'd have alittle fun with this post..
What if you drive an IS250?

So in Japan, do these mirrors fold automatically when you turn off the car or do you push another button? I can't imagine the puddle lamps being very helpful with the mirrors folded up... (of course, we all know they're too slow to be useful anyway)
Old 05-07-06 | 11:32 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Depends. Most cars in Japan, you have to push a button to fold it in.

Some cars however, fold automatically (ala Lexus LS), when you turn off the car, or lock it.
Old 05-08-06 | 10:54 AM
dong888
Pole Position

yup, auto-folding mirror is like a standard feature in most of the Asia countries, not just Japan. If you do not use mirror folding option, most likely you will find yourself with a damage mirror one day. Everytime I go to Taiwan, I had trouble finding parking space in Taipei (even in the no parking red zone). There are just way too many cars in a small place. I definitly DO NOT wish US to be the same way, thus no need for the auto-folding feature.

Quick Reply: Auto-folding mirrors?