IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Ordering an IS 220d from Europe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 07:20 PM
loki5586
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering an IS 220d from Europe?

Hello everyone...new to the forum.

Like most manufacturers Lexus offers different models in different countries. Because Europe tends to be more conservative when it comes to fuel cost and efficiency, Lexus offers the IS350 "equal" in Europe, but it goes by the name IS22OD. The only difference is that it runs off a turbodiesel powerplant (hence the "D") rather than gasoline. When compared side by side for performance the IS350 and IS22OD are virtually identical. Same output, power, acceleration etc., the only difference is fuel efficiency. The average MPG of the 350 is ~25mpg while the 220D is 45mpg.

I guess my question is does anyone know if Lexus has a program like BMW or Mercedes...where you order your car directly from Europe with your specifications but street legal in the US? My folks ordered a Diesel BMW years and years ago like that. We actually made a vacation out of it. Flew over to Germany, got to drive the car around Europe for a week and then BMW made the arangements and had it shipped back to the US for us. Even including the temp Gemany plates and the shipping costs It was actually cheaper than buying the same gas model at the dealer down the street, if you can believe it.

I contacted Lexus and got some embarrasingly mindless drone that had no idea what I was asking and I haven't found anything online.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-06, 07:28 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

The IS350 (306hp) has about 100 more whp than the 220d(177bhp) and the 220d is almost 3sec slower 0-60. Not even close to identical.
Old 05-09-06, 07:51 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loki5586

Like most manufacturers Lexus offers different models in different countries. Because Europe tends to be more conservative when it comes to fuel cost and efficiency, Lexus offers the IS350 "equal" in Europe, but it goes by the name IS22OD. The only difference is that it runs off a turbodiesel powerplant (hence the "D") rather than gasoline. When compared side by side for performance the IS350 and IS22OD are virtually identical. Same output, power, acceleration etc., the only difference is fuel efficiency. The average MPG of the 350 is ~25mpg while the 220D is 45mpg.

I guess my question is does anyone know if Lexus has a program like BMW or Mercedes...where you order your car directly from Europe with your specifications but street legal in the US? My folks ordered a Diesel BMW years and years ago like that. We actually made a vacation out of it. Flew over to Germany, got to drive the car around Europe for a week and then BMW made the arangements and had it shipped back to the US for us. Even including the temp Gemany plates and the shipping costs It was actually cheaper than buying the same gas model at the dealer down the street, if you can believe it.

I contacted Lexus and got some embarrasingly mindless drone that had no idea what I was asking and I haven't found anything online.

So why would Lexus USA know anything about a 220d from Europe?

In your information below you compare the 220d to the 350 perhaps you mean to compare the 220d to the 250? If not, you shouldn't be calling anyone a "drone."
Old 05-09-06, 07:53 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The 220d would most certainly mot meet US emissions or possibly even safety (unless you want to buy one for the NHTSB to crash test). Even the warning symbols on the gauge cluster wouldn't be US spec. Nice try though.
Old 05-09-06, 08:07 PM
OneBadVic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by loki5586

Wish i could help you out here, but this is my first Lexus... Though always been a Ford guy. We did the European Delivery with my mother's E320 CDI, picked the car up at the factory, they got to drive it around and it was shipped back home to the states. I don't see Lexus offering anything remotely close to that.
Old 05-09-06, 08:21 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

We need to bring diesels here in the US. But I think its more of a political thing.

Here in the US we get huge SUV's and Pickups with 7.0 V8's and V10's in them that do <10mpg. But they wont let a CLEAN burning IS220D in here?? Obviously the IS diesel will produce waaay less emissions then a gas guzzling V10.

I dont know about some but something is wrong here. Government here is wack.
Old 05-09-06, 08:21 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

European Delievery from Lexus?? Its a Japanese company, and the car is made in Japan as well.

You could try importing an IS220d over here, but you will most definitely get the run around, and in the end, probably wont get the car stateside.

Like others have said, the IS220d is about as fast as the IS250. The 350 is a totally different beast.

In your case, I would get the 250 since it seems like you are concerned with fuel costs. Around 30MPG on the highway is pretty darn good to me.
Old 05-09-06, 08:29 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
We need to bring diesels here in the US. But I think its more of a political thing.

Here in the US we get huge SUV's and Pickups with 7.0 V8's and V10's in them that do <10mpg. But they wont let a CLEAN burning IS220D in here?? Obviously the IS diesel will produce waaay less emissions then a gas guzzling V10.

I dont know about some but something is wrong here. Government here is wack.
I beleive those big trucks with diesel engines have more leeway since I believe they are classified as commercial trucks(F350, HD Silverado etc). Its better to offer diesels in those trucks as gas powered equivalents would be even worse.

It also has to do with Lexus as well and if they think the US is ready for a diesel IS(not just the gov't or EPA). Will there be enough people to buy a diesel IS?? How about a diesel Corolla first before we even think about a Lexus model. With there focus on hybrids in the US, I dont see Diesels from Lexus coming anytime soon, though anything is possible with them, just like how they are suddenly adding E85 to the Toyota lineup next year.

We will see later this year and next year. Everyone keeps hyping up this low-sulfur diesel fuel, so we shall see if it delievers.
Old 05-10-06, 03:38 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The IS220D is not even close in performance terms to the IS350. It has a plenty of torque but a narrow powerband and would struggle to keep up with an IS250. Having said which, modern diesels with particulate filters are very low on emissions and CO2 and offer better real world economy than hybrids such as the Prius. The car of the future will probably be a hybrid of the latest bio-diesel technology and electric motors.
Old 05-10-06, 04:35 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

I'd love it if Lexus had made the 220d available here... I would have had to think long and hard on whether to go with it or my 350. But like others have said, performance wise, the 220d is even remotely close to the 350 in any regard.
Old 05-10-06, 04:46 PM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
The 220d would most certainly mot meet US emissions or possibly even safety (unless you want to buy one for the NHTSB to crash test). Even the warning symbols on the gauge cluster wouldn't be US spec. Nice try though.
In most states, diesel vehicles are not required to comply with smog emissions. I forget why this is, but this is how it is almost everywhere.

-Brian
Old 05-10-06, 04:59 PM
celm
Pole Position

The only way to get the car is over is that you have to disassemble it first, import it as a disassemble car and then reassemble it here. It’s the only way to get it past customs
Old 05-10-06, 05:19 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 269 Likes on 239 Posts

From what I've read, the diesel fuel in Europe has much less sulfer than the diesel that's available here. The IS220d might not even run properly on the fuel you can buy here.

The European delivery programs are for US spec cars. Federalizing a car for import into the US is probably a $100,000 proposition by the time you are done.
Old 05-10-06, 05:19 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by celm
The only way to get the car is over is that you have to disassemble it first, import it as a disassemble car and then reassemble it here. It’s the only way to get it past customs
...and even then it might not be possible. Certain parts are not parts but actually are "cars" since it has a VIN, right?
Old 05-10-06, 05:21 PM
celm
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
...and even then it might not be possible. Certain parts are not parts but actually are "cars" since it has a VIN, right?
haha,i see you never imported anything automotive related before

Quick Reply: Ordering an IS 220d from Europe?