IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What feature do people *most* wow over?
Ventilated/heated seats
14.84%
Paddle shifters
6.25%
Navigation
13.28%
Mark Levinson
9.38%
Back up camera
43.75%
Other (specify)
12.50%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

What feature do people most wow over..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 05:03 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

None really... everything has been seen on other cars already. so nothing new new.
Old 05-11-06, 06:36 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by digital_b
wow people must be driving some bad cars or they are just scrubs to be saying wow about that or navigation.
Not at all. Most of the people oohing and ahhing over the technology in the car drive expensive German sedans like the Mercedes and BMW. Use the Nav and radio in an 'i-drive' equipped Bimmer for a few days and you'll be oohing and ahhing over the Lexus nav too.
Old 05-11-06, 06:39 AM
tdog09
Driver

this is true. coming from an LS and with the wife having an RX I just dont see any wow factor with the gadgets. back-up camera. wow people must be driving some bad cars or they are just scrubs to be saying wow about that or navigation. what I hear about ALL the time to the point that people I dont know compliment me about it is the looks. was at costco the other day and one of the carriage jockeys just couldnt stop talking about how 'hot' the car looked. but he is right. my car does look hot. thats about the only wow factor on this car. its not a bad thing to say that either. however my main enjoyment comes from driving it. man thats great.

I think the wow factor of the gadgets comes from the fact that ALOT of people dont have such things, not that they've never seen it before. It hits people more when they're actually in a friend or family's car that has such features (it hits closer to home).

So for someone to say "wow", they dont have to be driving a "bad" car...I've driven a 95 maxima since I recieved my liscense (7 yrs), it has none of these features, and is not a bad car at all. My mom has a 2004+ Navigator, and all its features wow'd the heck outa me, even though I've seen them all before.
Old 05-11-06, 06:45 AM
marmont
Driver School Candidate

uhh

push engine start?
Old 05-11-06, 06:53 AM
marmont
Driver School Candidate

oh and i forgot, i like how the car lights up (mirror lights)

really cool at night. I didnt get any package besides sport so nothing much impressive, just the interior looks really nice, and how the instrument panel lights up when the car starts. Little subtle features like that are WoWing
Old 05-11-06, 06:55 AM
marmont
Driver School Candidate

this is true. coming from an LS and with the wife having an RX I just dont see any wow factor with the gadgets. back-up camera. wow people must be driving some bad cars or they are just scrubs to be saying wow about that or navigation. what I hear about ALL the time to the point that people I dont know compliment me about it is the looks. was at costco the other day and one of the carriage jockeys just couldnt stop talking about how 'hot' the car looked. but he is right. my car does look hot. thats about the only wow factor on this car. its not a bad thing to say that either. however my main enjoyment comes from driving it. man thats great.
scrubs? Some people cant afford the luxury of having a car with all the extra stuff, or a car for that matter.

You should atleast give consideration to others that are less fourtnate than us.
Old 05-11-06, 08:50 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Definitely the backup camera for me. I don't think it's the best feature (I'd give it up before the keyless start) but whenever I have people in my car, it never fails to impress. Unless they have an Infiniti, and then they say, "Hey how come it doesn't draw lines showing your path?" Oh well, maybe in the 6th gen nav...
Old 05-11-06, 08:53 AM
mikewpu04
Driver

In my case, many people I know are young and can not afford a Lexus or don't know anyone that has cars like this. Most cars that my friends own are civics, accords, malibus, grand ams etc.... and although the newest ones of some of these cars DO have navigation... unless ur friends drive BMW, MB, Lexus, or Infiniti, who the heck has seen a smart key or back up camera? Not many I know. Before my car, I never once sat in a car with on board navigation or wireless keys.

And people don't drive "bad" cars. I drove my Pontiac Grand AM for 4 years and it was outstanding to me. It was what I could afford. It had standard features, but was a cool looking, dependable car. These Lexus cars are premium cars, and many people can not afford a 40K car. I'm fortunate, but please dont call ppl scrubs who wow over these features. I sure did when I test drove the car!
Old 05-11-06, 09:35 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
Use the Nav and radio in an 'i-drive' equipped Bimmer for a few days and you'll be oohing and ahhing over the Lexus nav too.
I disagree. I have both. and they both have their pros and both have their cons. Heres two I can think of off the top of my head right away.

The layout and organization on set up on the IS is rather funky. Its not as "straight forward" as one says it is. The phone book set up and organization is more confusing to get to. All the nags on the IS not allowing you to change song folders and enter in a phone number while the car is in motion is ridiculous!

Changing radio source on the iDrive is more troublesome but chaning presets within FM or AM or CD is better with the scroll wheel.
Old 05-11-06, 04:40 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Tough one... there are a few, in no particular order

Push button ignition Took a client of mine out to lunch once (really cute too) and her reaction was shut up! you did NOT just start your car by pressing that button?!"

Smartkey system I've had several people say something to the effect of You left your door unlocked?

Backup camera for obvious reasons

As far as BMW vs Lexus... I guess if you're use to the chaos of how BMW's nav works, the simplicity and intuitive feel of the Lexus may seem funky
Old 05-11-06, 04:45 PM
chubbymike
Driver

I love a lot of the features in my car (ML, Nav, perf. seats) But what really wowed me is the trunk space!! Really. When I first saw the IS, I was really disappointed at how tiny the trunk space is. I used to own a 95 M3 and i thought even that trunk was bigger than that! but I got the car anyways.... My fiancee is a cellist and one of the issues b/w us when I was looking to buy the IS was the trunk space. She wanted something that will fit her cello..like an ES or Camry or RX. but I told her that we'll just put the cello in teh back seat.
Long story short... one day I was taking her to napa for her job and also a short weekend getaway, as I was loading the car, I thought I'd try and see if the cello will fit through the center passthrough. But guess what, the cello with it's hard case can fit in sideways on its back! I stood there and was shocked!! no way, this can't be happening. but it fit and still has extra spaces for our carryon luggage.
and yesterday, took my mom to the airport, fit both large suitcases in the trunk and 4 people in the car!
this trunk space just never ceases to amaze me...
Old 05-11-06, 04:59 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

After taking a lot for people out to lunch, the rear view camera gets the most wows....

I'll say.. but.. but what about the 13 speakers... or the navigation... or the DVD player... naw... they love that camera...

The camra is extremely useful to a guy like me with a 3 and 5 year old.... not so much to look out for them but to look out for all of the crap that they leave behind the car (like their bikes).
Old 05-11-06, 06:13 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
As far as BMW vs Lexus... I guess if you're use to the chaos of how BMW's nav works, the simplicity and intuitive feel of the Lexus may seem funky
Hahah I wonder that myself.
Old 05-11-06, 06:27 PM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i have never owned a car with a NAV before and everytime i get into that car i go WOW THERES A LCD SCREEN THE CAR. technology is amazing
Old 05-11-06, 07:15 PM
phish2112
Driver

nobody likes my car, they all hate me with jealousy. So no huge '"wows" for me.

I get many 'yeah thats very nice', when it's obvious that in they're heads they're really saying
"THAT LUCKY F***ING JERK I HATE HIM!!!"

Quick Reply: What feature do people most wow over..?