IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Battery Draining Issues & Fail Safe

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 11:57 PM
inecstaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Draining Issues & Fail Safe

So I know I've read posts previously about people leaving their lights on in the IS*50 and then returning to their car to find that its been drained of the battery. I think it my be a production issue. I was really lucky the other day too....

So one night I was trying to get something from my car. I unlocked the car, the dome lights glowed. I opened the door, the dome lights turned on fully. When I closed the door, I'm pretty sure they stayed on full bright. But when I was looking in the arm rest compartment, it seemed like there wasnt enough light. So I pushed the "Door/On" button for the dome lights, only to notice that they didnt get any brighter.

So after I had finished looking around my car, I left my car, pushed the lock button on the door and thought that the lights staying on was kind of weird. So I unlocked and relocked and noticed again that the dome lights stayed on. I figured they would eventually fade out, so I just walked away. (I had completely forgotten that I had pushed the "ON" button)

To my amazement.... the next day I went to my car, and found that it started up fine and everything. When I drove off I had noticed that the dome lights stayed on and realized I didnt turn them off the night before.

So that led me to believe my original assumption that the IS has a fail safe power feature. (which my mom's Acura has) If the lights/or anything powered is on for a specific period of time, while the car is locked, the car will turn them off in order to save the life of the battery. I'm glad my car did it.... otherwise it would have sucked waiting for Lexus to send someone to jump start my 1 month old car!!!!

So all those whose battery died on them, should call Lexus and ask them about this. I'm glad they managed to fix that feature in my production vehicle.