IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

SAT Radio Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 06:54 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAT Radio Display

For those with the ML audio system and Nav screen and have had the installation of the Lexus XM or Sirius receiver/antenna kit at the dealer, do you find the display of information to be complete?

I think there are three SAT categories of six presets for each one, totaling a potential of 18 presets. Does the display show the current song and artist information for each of the presets so you can see on one screen all six of the SAT category chosen, just like the AM and FM stations? If not, what does the display show? Does the artist and song information show up too when a channel is selected? I am considering get this installed so wondered how satisfied you are with the display of information on the new screen. Thanks
Old 05-12-06, 07:04 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning to install my XM in my car this weekend so I'll let you know.
Old 05-13-06, 08:50 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Will be interested to see if the touch screen is operational to operate the SAT channel selections, if there is a menu screen of channels to select. I have a temporary XM Myfi radio plugged in through external wiring and the sound quality is fine but would prefer a fully integrated solution such as should be the case with a Lexus satellite radio install kit that should integrate with the screen. Just want to make sure that is really the case before making the purchase.

ecr527, did you get your xm tuner/receiver through a dealership or via an aftermarket source? If aftermarket, wondering if it really will be integrated into the nav screen. I was told my a local car audio store that their xm receiver's would not integrate and suggested I buy directly from the dealer to get a Lexus integrated solution.
Old 05-13-06, 09:02 AM
Duke02
Driver

Originally Posted by hendjaz
For those with the ML audio system and Nav screen and have had the installation of the Lexus XM or Sirius receiver/antenna kit at the dealer, do you find the display of information to be complete?

I think there are three SAT categories of six presets for each one, totaling a potential of 18 presets. Does the display show the current song and artist information for each of the presets so you can see on one screen all six of the SAT category chosen, just like the AM and FM stations? If not, what does the display show? Does the artist and song information show up too when a channel is selected? I am considering get this installed so wondered how satisfied you are with the display of information on the new screen. Thanks

Unfortunately, the screen does not display the artist and track information for each channel, or at least I can't figure out how to make it. It displays the channel ID for each station on the virtual button. Annoyingly, you can't tell the track info even when you're tuned to the station unless you press the text button, and then you love the virtual buttons for the presets. So, you wind up having the choice of being able to select your presets or seeing the track info.

Needless to say, I've been less than impressed by this implemenation. While it's nice to have the integration in the head unit, it's a pretty pathetic feature set when you factor in how much more the unit costs than small handheld units

While I love my car, this is one of a few things where I think Lexus completely missed the mark.
Old 05-14-06, 11:22 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ecr527
I'm planning to install my XM in my car this weekend so I'll let you know.

So how did the install go and were you able to check out the display information? Satisfied with the display information and reception too? Did you locate the antenna inside (rear deck) or outside on the lip of the trunk per the install directions? Hope it went well.
Old 05-15-06, 04:30 AM
jinetix
Pole Position

I had an ES330 loaner with XM radio install. Basically you get the Arist and Track title when you have the Text mode on. If you have that mode on, you don't get the 6 virtual preset buttons on the screen. So you can either have the title/track info, or the 6 preset buttons.. not both.
Old 05-15-06, 04:43 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Old 05-15-06, 09:25 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke02
While I love my car, this is one of a few things where I think Lexus completely missed the mark.
Agreed. If I were designing the unit, I'd put the artist/title available on a transparent overlay, so you could choose to have it visible even when displaying the map.
Old 05-15-06, 09:29 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
Agreed. If I were designing the unit, I'd put the artist/title available on a transparent overlay, so you could choose to have it visible even when displaying the map.
I would think this could be accomplished with a software update loaded via the nav dvd.
Maybe in the near future
Old 05-16-06, 06:24 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Thanks for all the very helpful responses which explain very well how the SAT display works and what it shows.

I noticed that in the FM mode that you can press "message" to get the detail text from an RDS transmitting station which shows the artist/song information in a bit more detail. However it only works when the car is stopped with the foot brake on. When moving you instead get a message that says something like for safety there is no message provided when moving. This must be a joke because this message includes more words than the RDS information and draws they eye away to the screen longer than if you just checked to see the name of the song.

Does this craziness apply to the SAT display as well so if you are not already in the text display instead in the six station display and are moving in the car, it will not display that information when you press the "text" button? Please, please tell me that's not the case.
Old 05-16-06, 06:28 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hendjaz
Thanks for all the very helpful responses which explain very well how the SAT display works and what it shows.

I noticed that in the FM mode that you can press "message" to get the detail text from an RDS transmitting station which shows the artist/song information in a bit more detail. However it only works when the car is stopped with the foot brake on. When moving you instead get a message that says something like for safety there is no message provided when moving. This must be a joke because this message includes more words than the RDS information and draws they eye away to the screen longer than if you just checked to see the name of the song.

Does this craziness apply to the SAT display as well so if you are not already in the text display instead in the six station display and are moving in the car, it will not display that information when you press the "text" button? Please, please tell me that's not the case.

You can press TEXT from the SAT presets screen and show the artist/song info. I leave it on the TEXT screen most of the time and the data changes when a new song starts.
Old 05-16-06, 07:40 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Well the install of the XM equipment went fairly smoothly. For anyone else out there planning to add XM (or Sirius for that matter), I would highly recommend doing the installation your self. This install requires ZERO electronics know how, as it truly is a plug and play set up. The entire installation took about 1 hour. What took the longest was taking off all of the trunk panels. You pretty much have to take off all of the panels inside the trunk. Once the installation is complete, the only thing you will see is the wire running from the antenna (which I mounted in the center of the trunk lid) which ends up going under the lining of the trunk lid. So in a nutshell, you only see about 1 inch or so of wire. Thankfully, the antenna that came with the kit is about as small (if not smaller) than the XM micro antenna that's available commercially. And unlike the write up in the installation instructions, the antenna is magnetic. They do recommend that you stick it down to the trunk lid using the double sided tape provided. I decided not to do this so it can be moved if need be. (during waxing, etc) The magnet is strong enough to hold the antenna in place, and will not move unless someone physically moves it. I guess you could probably get better reception if you mounted the antenna on the side of the trunk as per the instructions. But it looks retarded there, so in the center it went.

I just physically activated the radio about 10 minutes ago and I am very impressed with the sound quality of it with the ML audio system. I was really worried when purchasing this due to the fact that I have XM in my Acura (I'm using a Skyfi II) with an Alpine HU and amp and Infinity Kappa speakers all around and it sounds muffled. Like the others are saying here, one thing I wish it would do is show the text as you change channels, but all it shows is the channel number and name. Overall, I am happy with this mod/upgrade. Having owned my car for 4 months, it's good to have my XM back!!
Old 05-16-06, 07:49 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Well the install of the XM equipment went fairly smoothly. For anyone else out there planning to add XM (or Sirius for that matter), I would highly recommend doing the installation your self. This install requires ZERO electronics know how, as it truly is a plug and play set up. The entire installation took about 1 hour. What took the longest was taking off all of the trunk panels. You pretty much have to take off all of the panels inside the trunk. Once the installation is complete, the only thing you will see is the wire running from the antenna (which I mounted in the center of the trunk lid) which ends up going under the lining of the trunk lid. So in a nutshell, you only see about 1 inch or so of wire. Thankfully, the antenna that came with the kit is about as small (if not smaller) than the XM micro antenna that's available commercially. And unlike the write up in the installation instructions, the antenna is magnetic. They do recommend that you stick it down to the trunk lid using the double sided tape provided. I decided not to do this so it can be moved if need be. (during waxing, etc) The magnet is strong enough to hold the antenna in place, and will not move unless someone physically moves it. I guess you could probably get better reception if you mounted the antenna on the side of the trunk as per the instructions. But it looks retarded there, so in the center it went.

I just physically activated the radio about 10 minutes ago and I am very impressed with the sound quality of it with the ML audio system. I was really worried when purchasing this due to the fact that I have XM in my Acura (I'm using a Skyfi II) with an Alpine HU and amp and Infinity Kappa speakers all around and it sounds muffled. Like the others are saying here, one thing I wish it would do is show the text as you change channels, but all it shows is the channel number and name. Overall, I am happy with this mod/upgrade. Having owned my car for 4 months, it's good to have my XM back!!
I had my dealer place the antenna in the back window. I've been an XM customer for almost four years now so it was a must-have for me. I had my account transferred to the new car before I pulled out of the dealer parking lot. ADDICT. Channel 84 owns me.
Old 12-27-06, 05:51 PM
yov6cam
Driver

wwait, so you don't have to take out the nav screen unit?
Old 12-27-06, 10:04 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by conekiller
That is so cool! Are you locked out from viewing titles when moving? How much is the subscription?

Quick Reply: SAT Radio Display