IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

my fix to the holes left by the front plate bracket

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06 | 04:44 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Default my fix to the holes left by the front plate bracket

...wasn't sure how to title this one. lol.

Anyway, I know I wasn't the only one who was pissed that the dealer installed the front plate bracket. After delivery I immediatly removed it and sure enough had ugly, jagged, protruding holes in the bumper. There were also two minor dimples in the clear bra form the actual plate screws. (these I could not fix).

Well today I spent some time, dremeled the holes a bit (to clean the ragged edges and try to flush the protrusions). I went to the hardware store, found the plugs and covered them with dark charcoal metallic vinyl. I aldo had to clean up the jagged edges of the hand cut 3m clear bra circles around where the holes were. For this I lightly screwed in a bolt with a washer just abit bigger and cut a clean(er) circle.

I also put a rear plate frame on the car, covered the red letters with white reflective vinyl, and added the "Graphics", ...so everyone knows who I am.

Greg

Old 05-13-06 | 06:21 PM
KuyaPatz
Pit Crew

sweet good fix. i wish WA didnt require u to have the front liscense plate.
Old 05-13-06 | 06:27 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Nice. The license plate looks cool.
Old 05-13-06 | 06:30 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

that loks amazing dude, but i have two questions, when you cut the circular hole in the clear bra, did it scratch the paint at all? and what plugs exactly did you use?

Old 05-13-06 | 06:37 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by james6290
that loks amazing dude, but i have two questions, when you cut the circular hole in the clear bra, did it scratch the paint at all? and what plugs exactly did you use?

I used a very sharp X-acto blade, ...That clear bra material is pretty thick, it didn't feel like I cut through it. If it did, so be it. Whenever the time comes to remove the clear bra, comes the same time to re-paint and properly fill those nasty holes.

The plugs are found at your local hardware store and come in a variety of sizes adn in black or white (i covered them in vinyl)

Greg
Old 05-13-06 | 06:40 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by genearch
You could also order a set from: www.bumperplugs.com
$24.95 a pair!!

...Ha! I paid 20 cents each.
Old 05-13-06 | 06:42 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by glilly
I used a very sharp X-acto blade, ...That clear bra material is pretty thick, it didn't feel like I cut through it. If it did, so be it. Whenever the time comes to remove the clear bra, comes the same time to re-paint and properly fill those nasty holes.

The plugs are found at your local hardware store and come in a variety of sizes adn in black or white (i covered them in vinyl)

Greg
thanks for the info, but about the plugs, I wanted to know like what the plugs are used for, because, im gunna take a shot in the dark and say that a hardware store could have hundreds of types of plugs, thanks though, the car looks great. o, one more thing, you said you painted them the same color as the car, did you just go to the dealership and get touch-up paint?
Old 05-13-06 | 07:03 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by james6290
thanks for the info, but about the plugs, I wanted to know like what the plugs are used for, because, im gunna take a shot in the dark and say that a hardware store could have hundreds of types of plugs, thanks though, the car looks great. o, one more thing, you said you painted them the same color as the car, did you just go to the dealership and get touch-up paint?
the plugs look like similar to this:

again, I didn't use paint (although it would have matched better), but colored vinyl. (I own/run a vinyl graphics shop, ...hence the Underground Graphics)

(obviously I matched as close as I could to SMG, ...I found that "Avery Dk. Charcoal Metallic" was damn close)

sorry if I could't be of more help.

Greg

Last edited by glilly; 05-13-06 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-13-06 | 07:29 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KuyaPatz
sweet good fix. i wish WA didnt require u to have the front liscense plate.
Texas does too, ...I just hate to run'em. Although, I guess it depends on the vehicle as well. I wouldn't put a plate on a car like ours, or a sports car (Vette, Porsche, etc...) But on a truck, or something I wouldn't care so much.

Damn laws.