IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How To Remove Front Dome Light Cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-06, 06:57 PM
akkord
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How To Remove Front Dome Light Cover

I know how to remove the rear dome light cover as there is a groove to put in a flat head screwdrive and pop out, but looking at the front there is no groove. It also looks like if I tried to put in a flathead screwdriver and pry, might damage the plastic. Do we have to take apart the whole housing to get to the front dome lights or carefully pry at different spots and if so, anyone do it to direct me to the right spots, I believe I see a couple of clips but want to double check here before I go prying.

Thanks in advance...
The following users liked this post:
chesterdog (05-17-20)
Old 05-13-06, 07:03 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump, I have the same question =D I was planning to change the dome light to super white, but don't see an opening for the front.

Another question, is the front & rear dome light part # 3022? I don't see it in the owner's manual.
Old 05-13-06, 09:40 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

I think I saw 2 screws above the sunglass holder , I just don't know if you have to unscrew them to remove the housing and then remove the bulbs.
Old 05-13-06, 09:50 PM
akkord
Driver

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
I think I saw 2 screws above the sunglass holder , I just don't know if you have to unscrew them to remove the housing and then remove the bulbs.
Saw that too, but haven't taken it apart yet b/c I thought someone here would have changed out the bulbs to something different already - LEDs or hyperwhites - and therefore would know exactly how to take them apart. Anyone?
Old 05-14-06, 02:18 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

i dont think there is much sense in changing this stock item because for one you get two pretty white leds for like reading...games etc without catching attention by cops. also the stock amber lights are mor than sufficient on lighting up the entire car...just my 2 cents before you go messing around with your lights.
Old 05-14-06, 02:39 PM
akkord
Driver

Originally Posted by lexy250
i dont think there is much sense in changing this stock item because for one you get two pretty white leds for like reading...games etc without catching attention by cops. also the stock amber lights are mor than sufficient on lighting up the entire car...just my 2 cents before you go messing around with your lights.
I just don't like the yellow'ish color of the lights...pretty bright if you ask me, but I believe he has a custom LED setup in there...GSOUP's car

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209740

I don't plan on using dome lights when driving, I doubt I'd even use the LED lights when driving, no point...so there's no way to catch a cops attention...
Old 05-14-06, 02:54 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

there are no screws that hold the lense in, just stick a sharpe knife in there and pop it out. Be sure not to scratch your plastic.
Old 05-14-06, 03:25 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

im not saying it wouldnt be nice but i personally wouldnt mess with it just to make the lights nice inside...no one really gets to see them cept for the owner =P
Old 05-14-06, 03:28 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

if you do what i did, let me warn you before you do it. I changed my dome lights to LED refactor bulbs. LED bulbs do not dim in and out like normal incandescent bulbs so it will look really crappy when the lights fade in and out.
Old 05-14-06, 03:29 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

you know what i take that back cause that would be pretty hypocritical of me...i wanted to change the door lights so yea burn me ! =P
Old 05-14-06, 07:30 PM
akkord
Driver

Originally Posted by mofogasm
if you do what i did, let me warn you before you do it. I changed my dome lights to LED refactor bulbs. LED bulbs do not dim in and out like normal incandescent bulbs so it will look really crappy when the lights fade in and out.
I'm thinking of getting some Polarg M4s and some Polarg M28s for the dome lights, I should be getting the Hyper White 5 LED wedge bulbs for my doors and I'm going to test a couple of them in the dome before I make my decision and see if I like them...I read somewhere that it did fade in and out in the dome lights with LEDs...maybe they are using a different type...I'll see if I can find the thread...
Old 05-14-06, 08:10 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

don't get me wrong, they do fade in and out but it's not smooth like an incandescent bulb, it kind of flickers on and off.
Old 05-18-06, 06:00 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

i found a fix to your problems.. check out these festoon dome bulbs.. the LAST one Xenon Super White Festoon Dome Light Bulbs is similiar to ours but give off a bright white light

i think ours is 31mm = 1-1/4" Long

http://autolumination.com/festoon.htm
Old 05-18-06, 07:04 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

i was wondering how to take off the dome lights to hardwire my V-1...
theres instructions posted by rys on pg 3 of this thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=v-1

I havent tried yet...but good luck...
post after you attempt to tell us how it was
Old 05-20-06, 03:13 AM
808is250
Driver School Candidate

you have to take off the two screws in the sunglass holder and pop off the oposite side off ( has two white clips) and drop down the whole thing. there are three 194's wedge bulbs (same ones that are in the parking front parking lamps)that twist off from the back. led's do flicker when dimming out. hope this helps ......

Quick Reply: How To Remove Front Dome Light Cover