IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Room

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 10:10 AM
celica2nv
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS Room

How much room is in the rear....I have a celica and im looking to get a 4 door. tired of a two door sports car. I love my celica and want to stay with toyota if possible...so the new IS was at the top of my list....however a buddy of mine just went and test drove it along with the 07 Es and he bought the ES cause he said there is no room in the IS. Im 6 1 200lbs....is it going to be a tight squeeze upr front and no room in the back for passengers? I know i know...go test drive it....but i hate doing that cause im too nice and easily suckered...i cant buy it until the end of the summer and i dont want to get suckered into buyin it now. Just looking for some opinions cause i really dont want to go with the new charger! i hate american cars!
Old 05-14-06, 11:39 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

I'm 6'2", their is literally 6 inches behind my seat and 5 year old can barely fit. My wife is 5'7" and their is about 10 inches behond her seat. Back seat space is next to nothing unless you are very short or like to rest your chin on the wheel like a lot of women do.
Old 05-14-06, 12:06 PM
celica2nv
Rookie

that is insane...what is the purpose for making it a 4 door then?
Old 05-14-06, 12:37 PM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by celica2nv
that is insane...what is the purpose for making it a 4 door then?
Because some people want the body lines of a coupe with the convenience of being able to carry people (including kids) in the back when they have to.

I hardly ever have passengers, so rear seat room isn't a priority for me. But I love the lines of the car with 4 doors, and there's that once a month occurence when I do need to carry some people, and it works just fine in those instances (provided my passengers aren't 6'2" 330lbs... but I don't really know anyone that size who's going to be in the car anytime soon).
Old 05-14-06, 12:52 PM
celica2nv
Rookie

i know they like the lines....thats why i like the car.....so u do put people in ur back seat and they are alright in there? That's all im asking...i go out with the guys on the weekends and we take turns driving ...just making sure i can fit two guys back there.....im just worried with me being a pretty big guy that there will be no leg room left behind my seat.
Old 05-14-06, 01:02 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Function...

I guess the function of the IS is to transport one or two people very quickly, with the availability to carry another two to three people in the back with greater assessability than a coupe (especially with child seats) occassionally. I've had family members sit in the back and although it is cramped, it is comfortable. The front passengers do need to compromise some of their comfort/room for the rear passengers.

The IS is not meant to transport four or five people everyday. It is meant to blast one or two people from 0 to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds.

If you need the extra room to transport four to five people everyday, and you want the power to go along with it, that's what the GS is for. Otherwise, we single people or couples with no kids have no reason to ask for more room than an IS. If it was a coupe, I would have jumped on that much sooner.
Old 05-14-06, 01:20 PM
mort
Lead Lap

My 6 year old son can get in and out easily and I am able to toss stuff in the back without having to bend the front seats forward and lean in and out. Also, I have no problem with smaller adults fitting in the back with my front passenger moving their seat forward a bit. For for me, very convenient...but have moved from an Infinti FX to the IS. I think a 4-door sports sedan is perfect.
Also, my son likes to sit in the back seat to watch DVDs on the ML and I love it that they can pull off a sedan with coupe lines.
Old 05-14-06, 01:23 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I would also suggest a Acura TSX... Its a 4 door with IMO more room than the IS.. My GF and I just drove in my step moms TSX today and man what a nice car.. Very roomy and sporty.. For a 28k car the TSX would be my chioce.. i'm 6 foot also and 215lbs and i fit fine up front with plenty of leg room.. and my father sat in the back and had plenty of room.. Just a thought... but don't scratch it off your list until you drive it..
Old 05-14-06, 08:28 PM
celica2nv
Rookie

that was on my list....right after the IS followed by the charger. thanks for the info guys!
Old 05-14-06, 08:58 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My g/f has a TSX. We swapped cars this weekend and she said that if she wasn't leasing the TSX, she'd get the IS in a heartbeat.

The TSX is actually a great car. It does everything well and has very good back seat room, which the IS lacks. This isn't/wasn't an issue with me because I never have people in the back seat.
Old 05-14-06, 09:41 PM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

I went from a celica to the IS and I haven't looked back since.
Old 05-14-06, 09:56 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Back seats are where I put the Charmin TP and Bounty paper towels when I come back from Costco.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-14-06, 09:58 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My main gripe about the back seat of IS is not the legroom but the room for the feet.

When the front seats are in the lowest position (regardless of how far the front seats are pushed backward), there is a unreasonably amount of room under the front seats for the feet. If you put the standard US-spec all weather rubber mats, the room for the feet of the back seat customers is even worse because of the deep grroves on the mat.

I checked the GS and it has the same problem. It's mainly due to extra stuff for the front ventilated seats. However, the problem is not very evident in the 2007 ES. Maybe Lexus is aware of the limitation and put the improvements in the recently lauched ES.

Other than this, I am happy with the car.