IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Powerpoint/Lighter question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 02:53 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerpoint/Lighter question

In our IS, my wife would like to charge her cell phone using the cigarette lighter instead of the power point in the center console. It turns out that the charger cord is a bit large and you cannot close the lid to the center console when it is plugged in.

I've consulted the owner's manual about this and the only thing it says is that you are not supposed to put anything besides a cigarette lighter in the cigarette lighter socket. OK, but I assume that message is for dummies who will try to plug in pens, fingers, screwdrivers, etc., but not an actual powered device.

Any advice on this? Can I use the cigarette lighter to charge the phone?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-06, 02:57 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

My friend went for a ride in my car the other day while I was charging my phone in the armrest charger he wanted to charge his phone too. So he plugged his charger into the cig lighter and it worked fine.
Old 05-14-06, 03:01 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Payam
My friend went for a ride in my car the other day while I was charging my phone in the armrest charger he wanted to charge his phone too. So he plugged his charger into the cig lighter and it worked fine.
Thanks. Yes, I know it works. I'm more concerned about long term damage if it is done on a regular basis. Any thoughts on that?
Old 05-14-06, 03:16 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tgara
Thanks. Yes, I know it works. I'm more concerned about long term damage if it is done on a regular basis. Any thoughts on that?
I can't see how that can cause any type of long term damage. I'd say your in the clear.
Old 05-14-06, 03:23 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i use my cigarette lighter for my phone charger...but ive experienced a problem with my car lighter now...yes i am a smoker and i do use it but it no longer stays depressed without me holding it down or doing some crazy swiveling of the lighter to lock it down...but my phone still charges =P
Old 05-14-06, 03:58 PM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by tgara
In our IS, my wife would like to charge her cell phone using the cigarette lighter instead of the power point in the center console. It turns out that the charger cord is a bit large and you cannot close the lid to the center console when it is plugged in.

I've consulted the owner's manual about this and the only thing it says is that you are not supposed to put anything besides a cigarette lighter in the cigarette lighter socket. OK, but I assume that message is for dummies who will try to plug in pens, fingers, screwdrivers, etc., but not an actual powered device.

Any advice on this? Can I use the cigarette lighter to charge the phone?

Thanks!
A 12V power receptacle is a 12V power receptacle. In other words, they're all the same... so if it works in one, it'll work in the other.
Old 05-14-06, 07:02 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for your input.

We'll use the cigarette lighter recepticle. I'll report back if there are any mishaps.
Old 05-14-06, 08:51 PM
IS350_PHIL
Pole Position

Should not be a problem. I have had my radar detector plugged in there for the last month...