IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dvd Video Converter For Non-ml Nav

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-06, 03:38 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dvd Video Converter For Non-ml Nav

I was looking to see if there was anything recent available for the 2nd gen IS and, according to Dominic of tvandnav2go their RGB converter will work. I'm somewhat skeptic though. So far this is the only vendor which promises it will work.
Attached Thumbnails Dvd Video Converter For Non-ml Nav-newrgb001.jpg  
Old 05-15-06, 01:42 AM
lexus27
Pit Crew

this looks like something you will connect an aftermarket DVD player to and it will connect (or splice) to the back-up camera feed to the LCD so that you can watch movies on the LCD display.

I have somethng similar to this in my GX470.

is that what you are referring to?
Old 05-15-06, 06:50 AM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Basically Yes

Yep, that's what I'm referring to. I'm looking to have video play capability on my Nav screen and, since I don't have the ML audio system that plays video DVDs, this is the next best thing. According to the company (tvandnav2go.com) my car's current rear view camera feature is not compromised If I were to install this. In any event, this unit has two video inputs for two different sources. I plan on hooking up the audio from the DVD player into the AUX-IN inside the car's center arm rest.
Old 05-15-06, 08:07 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, let us know if this works out. I could use something like this to hook up a computer and use the nav screen as a monitor.
Old 05-20-06, 02:14 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jmartinace
Yep, that's what I'm referring to. I'm looking to have video play capability on my Nav screen and, since I don't have the ML audio system that plays video DVDs, this is the next best thing. According to the company (tvandnav2go.com) my car's current rear view camera feature is not compromised If I were to install this. In any event, this unit has two video inputs for two different sources. I plan on hooking up the audio from the DVD player into the AUX-IN inside the car's center arm rest.
why wouldnt you just use the aux-in on the unit for the sound? it would be a lot less wireing and trouble? unless this doesnt have a sound converter..?
Old 05-27-06, 04:47 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Any updates on this? Anyone get a external DVD player hookd up to their NAV screen (non M-L) to watch DVDs yet?
Old 05-27-06, 06:44 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

^^^you have to buy the navandtv2go converter for $300+ to install an external dvd
Old 05-27-06, 07:32 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Ya I know. I dont mind the $300. But wondering if anyone has sucessfully done the install and how. I wouldnt know where to begin to hook up all the wires. I would like to be able to have a small external portable DVD player in the glove box and run a audio cable to the AUX-In when I need it.

That way if I'm on the road and passengers want to watch a movie they can pop in a DVD in the portable player inside the glove box and just plug in the AUX and watch.

From what it sounds like it'll be using the rear view camera cable? And will just override the NAV screen with the DVD Video. With that I'm hoping it wont affect the rear view camera functionality.
Old 05-27-06, 07:38 PM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

i already contacted the salesman from tvandnav2go he told me the following: theres 2 options the first you pay 250 and have to cut 4 wires for it to work. the 2nd is you pay 450 and its a converter. either way, it works the same, basically plugging the rcv into a converter into the nav. doesent affect any functionality at all. i guess go to their website and check it out

http://tvandnav2go.com/
Old 05-28-06, 01:23 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I checked their site and it doesnt have much info. For Lexus it shows the old 4th generation Nav.. not our 5th gen.

I would prefer to go the $450 route... but wondering if anyone has done it yet and know for sure that it works well with the 2IS and where to plug the converter into. Rear of the NAV probably huh? I'm not car mod savvy enough to be doing trial and error testing...

Also it says it has 2 video inputs one for vid and one for backup camera... but we already have a back up camrea will that interfer with the exisitng back up camera... or if we can use that input for somthing else or will it just go to waste then.

Last edited by EBMCS03; 05-28-06 at 01:33 AM.
Old 05-28-06, 10:01 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

the 2nd input probably would go to waste unless you wanted to add a playstation or something. but i already contacted the guy and i told him what car i had and what type of navigation, he told me they definetally make it.

either way, im not sure i want to be the 1st to do it, but wouldent mind being the 2nd
Old 05-28-06, 11:11 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nicelex13

either way, im not sure i want to be the 1st to do it, but wouldent mind being the 2nd

Haha I know... I want someone to do it and confirm that it works first and is 100% compatible...
Old 08-04-06, 02:26 AM
MNguyen281
Driver School Candidate

does anyone have any updates on this unit? i really want a carputer making use of the built in screen instead of having to install a second one.
Old 08-31-06, 01:22 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I asked:
I'm very interested in your RGB converter to watch dvd on nav
screen. I'm having LEXUS IS 250 NON ML, and I wonder if I take my 2nd
choice which is the RGB unit, does it work well and 100% compatible with
my car? Also it says it has 2 video inputs one for video and one for
backup camera, but I already have a back up camera, will that interfer
with the existing back up camera?
Answer from tvandnav2go
Hi
We currently don't have a solution for this car.
Thanks Dominic
Old 08-31-06, 05:03 PM
Airwolf
Driver School Candidate

So you would have to go into reverse to watch a DVD?

Quick Reply: Dvd Video Converter For Non-ml Nav