IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HID burnt out, need HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 04:28 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID burnt out, need HELP!!

Okie so I was changing some mtecs 4750 cosmo blue for my fog lights today. I started on the driver side first and tested it. Worked out fine, I then proceeded to my passenger side and got it in. It worked perfectly, but my passenger HID doesnt work anymore. I checked the fuse and its not broken. I am out of ideas. Anyone know what could be the problem?
Old 05-15-06, 05:19 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

could just be a fluke that you installing your fogs at the time the HID burned out. are the HID's OEM? if they are take it in...it's not an uncommon thing to have some HID's die
Old 05-15-06, 06:09 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by foofighter
could just be a fluke that you installing your fogs at the time the HID burned out. are the HID's OEM? if they are take it in...it's not an uncommon thing to have some HID's die
Yes the HIDs are OEM. I didn't touch any part of the HID headlight. I just took the foglight out and replaced it. I don't know what could have gone wrong. The fuse should have blown but none of them are broken. I'm definitely taking them in tomorrow.
Old 05-15-06, 07:03 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

I just found out that my passenger headlight has condensation in it. I went to the drive thru car wash yesterday and water probably went into the engine bay somehow. Will Lexus cover this under warranty? Because I had my dust covers off. Somehow it just happen to be the day I decided to install my foglight. Today was the first time I turned on my headlights after the car wash. Damn what a PITA.
Old 05-15-06, 07:05 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if i was you i would change everything back to stock and say that you didnt mess with the casing cause the reason you have condesation is bad seal when u replaced em...idk but i think lexus will not cover it if you tell them you changed it. =P
Old 05-15-06, 07:20 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

The foglights has nothing to do with the HID headlight. That is the part t I don't get. The foglights work fine though and I didn't touch any part of the HIDs. It's just I had those dust covers off. I went through the wheel well today for the foglights.
Old 05-15-06, 07:28 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

ok im not saying that the fogs affected your hids what im trying to say is they will try to link it to that and therefore saying no we will not cover that =P
Old 05-15-06, 07:55 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

why did u have the dust covers off in the first place?
Old 05-15-06, 08:16 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

some of the best and most expensive headlight assemblies end up w/ condensation in them. And yes that could attribute to the HID's having a short life.

As what the other person said. Put your stock bulbs back in and take it back to the dealer. you're right there's no relationship between you changing the fog and the HID's burning out. But they would try to point to you tinkering around w/ the fogs.

I bet you'll get a new headlight assembly and new bulbs.
Old 05-15-06, 08:19 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

why would he have to put the stock fogs back in? the fogs and headlights are totally seperate.
Old 05-15-06, 08:24 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe it's because i came from the Audi dealer network where you hear horror stories of what they try to blame that you did so that they dont have to cover it under warranty.

you're right, the fogs and headlight have nothing to do w/ each other directly but if a dealer didnt want to cover it they COULD use it to hassle you.
Old 05-15-06, 09:47 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by foofighter
Maybe it's because i came from the Audi dealer network where you hear horror stories of what they try to blame that you did so that they dont have to cover it under warranty.

you're right, the fogs and headlight have nothing to do w/ each other directly but if a dealer didnt want to cover it they COULD use it to hassle you.
I had a friend with an A4 that had a lot of problems. When he took his car in for service, the service dept kept telling him it's not their fault and tried to get out of covering a lot of things. With that being said, I would have to agree with you that the thread owner should replace the oem fog bulbs and take the car in. You never know what the dealer will try to get out of covering. Better to be safe than sorry.

Side note sab504, have you checked the ballast to see if it's that? Try switching the ballasts from the side that works to the side that doesn't work and see if the HIDs are still out...
Old 05-15-06, 09:51 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
I had a friend with an A4 that had a lot of problems. When he took his car in for service, the service dept kept telling him it's not their fault and tried to get out of covering a lot of things. With that being said, I would have to agree with you that the thread owner should replace the oem fog bulbs and take the car in. You never know what the dealer will try to get out of covering. Better to be safe than sorry.

Side note sab504, have you checked the ballast to see if it's that? Try switching the ballasts from the side that works to the side that doesn't work and see if the HIDs are still out...
It's a factory HID, are the ballast's accessible?
Old 05-15-06, 09:52 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

you know at this point dont touch the assembly at all...dont disturb the paint marks they put on the bolt heads. Just replace the fogs and take it in for warranty.

Save yourself the headache and take her in
Old 05-15-06, 09:57 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Hmm, so the fuse is okay and the light doesn't turn on at all? I don't see how water could have gotten inside headlight and damage the ballast. If anything is damaged its the ballast so if the dealer doesn't cover the damage let me know I can get you a d4s oem ballast cheap. Check the plug that connects the power line to the ballast, maybe theres water in there. I'm not sure how the new plug is designed but some plugs actually allow water to creat a connection between the + and the - or any ground source and thus putting the ballast into protection mode. Although I find it hard to believe a brand new ballast failed so quickly.

Quick Reply: HID burnt out, need HELP!!