IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just got pulled over for speeding then...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 05:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Payam
Cops suck!! Sorry about your tickets.
yea cops suck for doing their job, putting up with unbeliveable amounts of crap, for 45k a year. He broke the law, faced the consequences, at least he didnt whine about it
Old 05-16-06, 06:24 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea cops suck for doing their job, putting up with unbeliveable amounts of crap, for 45k a year. He broke the law, faced the consequences, at least he didnt whine about it
Yeah my sister is now a cop for the OKC police, so I'll never say cops suck, but the laws sure do!!!
Old 05-16-06, 07:43 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

He broke the law, faced the consequences, at least he didnt whine about it
Let's not get carried away here. Cops have a remarkable amount of lattitude in dealing with minor traffic and motor vehicle offenses. When was the last time you heard of a cop giving another cop a ticket? It just doesn't happen. Driving 57 MPH in a 55 MPH is technically illegal, but only a real jerk will ticket someone for it. Over the course of my driving career, most of the times I've been pulled over I've gotten nothing but a warning, and the handful of times when I didn't the officer was nice enough to write a reduced ticket, e.g., clocked at 72 in a 55 (4 point ticket) but written for 64 in a 55 (2 point ticket). (one exception -see below)

The bottom line is that if the original poster was polite and respectful when pulled over, there was no reason for the cop to add insult to injury piling on extra tickets. The speeding ticket and a warning to fix the tint should have sufficed for that particular stop.

P.S.
Okay there was one time I didn't get a reduced ticket: I was pulled over on a local road that was apparently under the jurisdiction of the military - what a VERY wierd stop. The military cop asked for license and registration, and when I was handing him the documents he refused to talk to me. As he took my paperwork back to his car, I opened the door to make one last attempt - he ordered me back in my car - and then called for backup!! Needless to say, I got the ticket, although they never reported the infraction to the state DMV nor to my insurance - so no points or premium increase.
Old 05-16-06, 09:10 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
You say that now, but see how you feel about them when someone's trying to "jack" you.
I'm armed....

I know cops have to do their job but they don't have to take it that far as to tell you to roll up your window and keep adding on more tickets. Realisticly, it shouldn't matter how dark your window tint on your car is, it's your car.
On a side note, they should change the driver's license laws as well. You should be able to take advanced tests when you are geting your license. Meaning, you prove to the DMV that you are capable of driving 100+mph or whatever and that will allow you to do that on the street as well, as long as your car is safe at that speed and you know what you are doing. This way, people who don't know how to drive can follow the 65mph speed limit and people who are aren't morons can do 20mph over on an open highway. That would be nice.
Old 05-16-06, 09:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the tint law isnt just some law to squeeze money out of you. One reason is the officers safety. If I was a cop and I pulled over a limo tinted car, who knows what the driver is doing inside, reaching for a gun/knife ready to shoot/stab me right when I get next to the window. Its there for a reason. From a crime standpoint limo tint would be a huge advantage for criminals, you wont be able to see me dealing drugs inside, get my physical profile after doing a driveby, list goes on
Old 05-16-06, 09:19 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

the tint law isnt just some law to squeeze money out of you. One reason is the officers safety. If I was a cop and I pulled over a limo tinted car, who knows what the driver is doing inside, reaching for a gun/knife ready to shoot/stab me right when I get next to the window. Its there for a reason
So the cop can get on his loud speaker and tell the driver of the car to lower all of his windows...
Old 05-16-06, 09:24 AM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
You say that now, but see how you feel about them when someone's trying to "jack" you.
Let me tell you a little story about that. A few years ago, someone broke into our car, stole my wife's purse and used her credit cards. We were able to call within an hour of the burglary to cancel the cards. We got video from the stores and gas stations, got face shots and license plate numbers for the town police and county sheriff (they did absolutely nothing but take incident reports mind you) and I'll let you guess what became of it - absolutely NOTHING. Tickets are easy money with little effort which is where they will spend more of their time than actually trying to catch criminals.

Also, in addition to caymandive's comment, 20mph over limit in all zones except for 15 mph over in a 35 is an automatic reckless driving which is why it is a misdemeanor with possible jail time, license loss etc.
Old 05-16-06, 09:30 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default The best thing to do...

If pulled over is to have that drivers window down, and both of your hands visible on the steering wheel, so that the policeman or woman is put more at ease as to your intentions. That will gain you a measure of respect, along with politeness and the ability to readily produce DL/Reg & POI.

In KS, anything under 10 mph over the limit is not a moving violation unless you're in a construction or school zone. Also, many KS counties let you plea down one speeding ticket/year to a non moving violation if you accept a doubling of the normal fine.
Old 05-16-06, 10:49 AM
rys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
When was the last time you heard of a cop giving another cop a ticket? It just doesn't happen.
Actually, here in California the CHP will ticket local law enforcement officers. - They simply don't care, and there is very little flexibility given to fellow officers when it comes to the CHP.

To respond to a few things, I know a few police officers and their hearing tends to get shot because of the use of the vehicle sirens.

Also, you lucked out because tint and speed are two of the cheaper tickets in California. Anything relating to running a red light (usually on a left turn), right turn on red (when posted), and illegal lane usage (passing out of the car pool lane for instance), can far exceed $300. Your speeding ticket is probably as you posted, ~$189 + ~$31.

If you got a "fix it" ticket for tint, you are also lucky. Your ticket will be the cost of removing the tint plus $12 for the inspection.

I live out here in Ventura County, California. The first time I received a tint ticket, they gave me a non-correctable ticket for a little over $100 (~$112, I think). For subsequent stops, they continued to give me non-correctable tickets, until the last time where they warned me that if I don't correct the tint, they will start issueing a different citation that basically makes the tint ticket into a moving violation.

After 3 tint tickets, I figured it's not worth it anymore for the hassle and cost of dealing with the local PD, so now all of my vehicles only have the rear of the vehicle tinted.

-Brian
Old 05-16-06, 11:51 AM
dong888
Pole Position

It seems like every time I got a speeding ticket, it will cost me over $300.00 for the whole thing. I do not know why other people got it so cheap for les than $200.00 - maybe the speed that I was going?

I normally do not do any tint on the cars for 2 reasons. 1. In Bay Area (NorCal), I can assure you that you WILL get pulled over for tint and get a fix-it ticket. It is not worth it considering that the tint job probably cost you $200 to $400. 2. Without the tint, it is easier for me to spot cops from behind. The headlight on the cop car is kind of unique.
Old 05-16-06, 12:11 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solomoan
If pulled over is to have that drivers window down, and both of your hands visible on the steering wheel, so that the policeman or woman is put more at ease as to your intentions. That will gain you a measure of respect, along with politeness and the ability to readily produce DL/Reg & POI.

In KS, anything under 10 mph over the limit is not a moving violation unless you're in a construction or school zone. Also, many KS counties let you plea down one speeding ticket/year to a non moving violation if you accept a doubling of the normal fine.
Which I have done about 3 times now. IOW, it's a racket, KS doesn't much care about speeding unless you get reckless with it. Like you said, no cops would pull you over for less than 10 and even if he did, it wouldn't count against you. I pass cops doing close to 10 over all the time but come to think of it, I have detected radar in the my area for several months now. Also from what I know in the past, most of the cities around here don't use rolling radar....cops need to be parked. I wonder if that's written in the law somewhere, but I know it doesn't apply to the State.
Old 05-16-06, 12:14 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh and as for tinting, unlike some other professions, the police aren't stupid. They know a car with illegally tinted windows when they see one. Winding down your windows is the oldest trick in the book, I tried that in 1988 in St Louis Park, MN (and didnt' get away with it) you know that ALL police have figured that out by now. doh
Old 05-16-06, 12:23 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

How about all those SUV's out there with dark tint straight from the dealerships! How can they get away with it? Kinda goes along with exhaust tickets. Harley Davidson sure makes some noisy bikes, but it's the Imports that get all the tickets. Something just doesn't seem right. Sorry just me ranting a bit.
Old 05-16-06, 12:31 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by casey225
Let me tell you a little story about that. A few years ago, someone broke into our car, stole my wife's purse and used her credit cards. We were able to call within an hour of the burglary to cancel the cards. We got video from the stores and gas stations, got face shots and license plate numbers for the town police and county sheriff (they did absolutely nothing but take incident reports mind you) and I'll let you guess what became of it - absolutely NOTHING. Tickets are easy money with little effort which is where they will spend more of their time than actually trying to catch criminals.

Also, in addition to caymandive's comment, 20mph over limit in all zones except for 15 mph over in a 35 is an automatic reckless driving which is why it is a misdemeanor with possible jail time, license loss etc.
I'm sorry that the police were not responsive to your incident. I'm not a police officer, but I know that they serve an important role and purpose in our society. It was the police who caught the snipers that were terrorizing people where I live a few years ago. It was the police in Ohio who responded to me (in Maryland) when I called them because I could not get in touch with my father - they went to his home to check and make sure that he was OK, and then telephoned me to say that he was. Yeah, I know that there are incompetent police officers, just like there are incompetent people in any other profession. But there are few professions where part of the job is placing yourself in harm's way to protect citizens. That's the point I was trying to make.
Old 05-16-06, 12:43 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Oh and as for tinting, unlike some other professions, the police aren't stupid. They know a car with illegally tinted windows when they see one. Winding down your windows is the oldest trick in the book, I tried that in 1988 in St Louis Park, MN (and didnt' get away with it) you know that ALL police have figured that out by now. doh
Actually, I've always had limo tint on all of my cars and the windshield's tinted. When I see the red and blue lights, down go the windows and I've yet to get a tint ticket.

Quick Reply: Just got pulled over for speeding then...