IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

what's the best way to launch this car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 10:11 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default what's the best way to launch this car?

Okay I know most people know that doing the pedal dance is probably the best thing to do but what about the times that you just don't have the opportunity? What's the best way to lauch the car? Turning on ECT Power mode and turning off the TRAC and break torque a little? I'm thinking this is probably the next best thing to do. I'm wondering if turning trac mode off will try to bog something down when it kicks back in at 30mph. Anyone have any experience with what's the best combo or method? Thanks!
Old 05-16-06, 04:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe some canadian guy that was busting out 104mph trap speeds in the low 13's was just using the car in pwr mode. Didn't disable anything and I believe he power braked a bit.
Old 05-16-06, 05:09 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I'm wondering if turning trac mode off will try to bog something down when it kicks back in at 30mph.
If I'm understanding you, when you take traction control off, it comes back on at 30mph?
Old 05-16-06, 06:21 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
If I'm understanding you, when you take traction control off, it comes back on at 30mph?
Yeah but that traction control button is useless. Even before 30mph the traction control kicks on even with the button pressed. If you want actual traction control removed you have to do the foot dance when you 1st start the car up.
Old 05-16-06, 07:04 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Yeah but that traction control button is useless. Even before 30mph the traction control kicks on even with the button pressed. If you want actual traction control removed you have to do the foot dance when you 1st start the car up.
Thats unfortunate, as I thought depressing the button would've permanently disengaged the TC. It would've made sense to make it a seperate assistance feature, unrelated to the stability control system, but oh well. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-16-06, 10:13 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Really?! Then what's the button used for? Or what does it do actually? I thought it allowed the tires to spin a bit before traction control kicks in later so I was thinking that this'll give a better launch?
Old 05-16-06, 10:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Really?! Then what's the button used for? Or what does it do actually? I thought it allowed the tires to spin a bit before traction control kicks in later so I was thinking that this'll give a better launch?
Yeah only "slighly" more. It's a complete waste of a button if you ask me. BMW has it right when it comes to ease of disabling the TC.
Old 05-16-06, 11:46 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

^ okay so it still does let the tires spin a little. I guess that's enough to break the traction a bit to get a better launch instead of bogging that is assuming it doesn't cut off some of the power, but I'm just wondering if by turning trac on if the computer does lower the power a bit because it was meant to get the car out of snow or a slippery surface right? Someone must have done a timed run already with and without trac on.
Old 05-16-06, 11:51 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ okay so it still does let the tires spin a little. I guess that's enough to break the traction a bit to get a better launch instead of bogging that is assuming it doesn't cut off some of the power, but I'm just wondering if by turning trac on if the computer does lower the power a bit because it was meant to get the car out of snow or a slippery surface right? Someone must have done a timed run already with and without trac on.
I've been meaning to, but haven't had a chance to go out to the track yet... Not sure if it will be anytime soon now thanks to my leg.
Old 05-16-06, 11:53 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe some canadian guy that was busting out 104mph trap speeds in the low 13's was just using the car in pwr mode. Didn't disable anything and I believe he power braked a bit.
I would be VERY surprised to see 104 traps and low 13s from a stock 350. It might be possible to do better than the manufacturer's 14.2 seconds, but 14.2 to low 13s is a LONG way off. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 05-16-06, 11:59 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by conekiller
I would be VERY surprised to see 104 traps and low 13s from a stock 350. It might be possible to do better than the manufacturer's 14.2 seconds, but 14.2 to low 13s is a LONG way off. I'll believe it when I see it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=210355
Old 05-16-06, 12:00 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by conekiller
Check out this thread. Every run was done in D with the power ECT button on. VDIM left alone. 13.348 @ 104.33 on stock 18's and mostly stock engine. If you search through his other posts you'll see that he has also slightly modified his power/weight ratio by changing the exhaust and getting rid of some weight.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...7&page=1&pp=15
Old 05-16-06, 12:20 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<<<Impressed.
Old 05-16-06, 04:50 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What works for me

* ECT in PWR mode
* Manual mode, select 1st gear then back up to second, before the launch
* No power braking, just floor it

Here's why I select 1st then 2nd gear before starting:

* selecting 1st puts the trans in 1st gear (logical...)
* then selecting second allows me to lift the foot a little IF wheelspin starts (usually above 4,000 rpms) and then the trans immediately switches to second gear. I then floor it for the rest of second all the way to redline. Then redline through all the gears after that.

Why no power braking: causes immediate wheelspin.

Is it the optimal way to launch: dunno. Does it work: I've sent 350Z drivers home crying for their mamas doing it this way!
Old 05-16-06, 05:12 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by cdeslandes
* ECT in PWR mode
* Manual mode, select 1st gear then back up to second, before the launch
* No power braking, just floor it

Here's why I select 1st then 2nd gear before starting:

* selecting 1st puts the trans in 1st gear (logical...)
* then selecting second allows me to lift the foot a little IF wheelspin starts (usually above 4,000 rpms) and then the trans immediately switches to second gear. I then floor it for the rest of second all the way to redline. Then redline through all the gears after that.

Why no power braking: causes immediate wheelspin.

Is it the optimal way to launch: dunno. Does it work: I've sent 350Z drivers home crying for their mamas doing it this way!
Thats an interesting technique.

Quick Reply: what's the best way to launch this car?