IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

how to lock the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 06:17 AM
Dr C
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to lock the trunk?

I have read the manual several times, thank you.

I want to be able to leave the trunk LOCKED all of the time so that it can NOT be opened with the small button under the trunk lid. In order to do this, I have to leave the button in the glove box in the OUT or LOCKED position. But, then I cannot open the trunk with my remote or with the button under the driver's side of the dash.

If I leave the button in the glove box in the IN or UNLOCKED position, then, even with the car locked and the security system armed, the trunk can be opened with the small button under the trunk lid.

Am I missing something? Someone please explain. And, if I missed this in the owner's manual, please give me a page number as I have not been able to find it on my own.
Old 05-16-06, 06:20 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dr C
If I leave the button in the glove box in the IN or UNLOCKED position, then, even with the car locked and the security system armed, the trunk can be opened with the small button under the trunk lid.

Are you saying that the trunk can be open with the small botton under the trunk lid EVEN if the key is not in the area. You might opening the trunk with the key in your pocket hence allowing the trunk to be open.
Old 05-16-06, 06:21 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by Dr C
I have read the manual several times, thank you.

I want to be able to leave the trunk LOCKED all of the time so that it can NOT be opened with the small button under the trunk lid. In order to do this, I have to leave the button in the glove box in the OUT or LOCKED position. But, then I cannot open the trunk with my remote or with the button under the driver's side of the dash.

Am I missing something? Someone please explain. And, if I missed this in the owner's manual, please give me a page number as I have not been able to find it on my own.
The trunk can only be opened with the button when the car detects your keyfob, same as with the doors. Go put your key somewhere else, and you'll see that the trunk is ALWAYS basically locked.
Old 05-16-06, 06:21 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

It can only be opened with the button if your FOB is in the area of the trunk. If your FOB is not by the trunk it cannot be opened.
Old 05-16-06, 06:53 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Smart access features are there for convenience..

so you don't have to take your key fob out everytime you want to open the trunk. If the key fob is detected then the rubber switch will be active. On the other side of the chrome sash you will find the hidden key slot for the metal backup key in case there was a battery problem you can manually open the trunk. In your Lexus personalized settings you can vary the amount of time or number of times you could push the trunk release button on the fob. Choices are no delay, .8 seconds delay (standard), press two times to release the trunk, and the last choice you can make is to make the fob button unable to release the trunk but it's not popular...

Rock
Old 05-16-06, 10:26 AM
Dr C
Driver

Duh! That was one possiblity that I did not think about. And, I did not see mention of it in the Owner's Manual.

Now, I'll go back to leaving my briefcase in my trunk, at times, where it is out of sight.