IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Getting past the Legal Nav Screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 09:32 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Wow, how many of your other cars have VDIM?

NONE!!! That's the whole point. None of my previous cars had all of these ridiculous nannies, and I still survived! Amazing!!
Old 05-18-06, 09:33 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
it's not to protect the driver, it's to protect lexus.

No it doesn't. Do you really think that if Lexus was negligent in some way that hitting the "I Agree" button would shield them from liability? I don't think so. That button is meaningless in a court of law.
Old 05-18-06, 09:39 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
No it doesn't. Do you really think that if Lexus was negligent in some way that hitting the "I Agree" button would shield them from liability? I don't think so. That button is meaningless in a court of law.
it can be argued since you pressed it, you knew that lexus was at least warning you.
Old 05-18-06, 09:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not necessarily. The "I Agree" button is somewhat of a contract. You pushing it means that you are liable for your own actions when looking at the Nav screen, not Lexus. This button is quite useful in a litigious country like the U.S.
Old 05-18-06, 09:52 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Not necessarily. The "I Agree" button is somewhat of a contract. You pushing it means that you are liable for your own actions when looking at the Nav screen, not Lexus. This button is quite useful in a litigious country like the U.S.
OK, so we've all read the screen and we've all agreed to it hundreds of times. How many more times do we have to agree to the same nonsense?!?
Old 05-18-06, 09:58 AM
PinoyBruin
Driver

I AGREE with Payam. They should just make us sign some sort of contract just once, before handing the car over to us. The "I Agree" button has just become a daily repetitive annoyance. I still love my car though and that button is just a small price to pay everytime I start the engine.
Old 05-18-06, 10:02 AM
cleblanc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Payam
OK, so we've all read the screen and we've all agreed to it hundreds of times. How many more times do we have to agree to the same nonsense?!?
I also agree with Payam. This is an everyday annoyance that we should be able to turn off. How many times do you have to agree to this. I used to use a portable Garmin GPS unit and there was an option in the setup menu to bypass this kind of thing. Lexus should do the same. It should be one of the personal options.
Old 05-18-06, 10:07 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I didn't say it would shield them from liability or that it would win the court case for them or would make them not liable. It is an attempt to protect them and fulfill the need to say that I at least warned the customer and that I am sure that each and every driver acknowledged the warning because that is how we built the software. This may help minimize the damages, limit the liability, and will probably give them to opportunity to present the piece in case there is a major or even a minor issue.

so you said "that button is meaningless in a court of law." since this a topic about the legal nav screen, I am interested in your professional opinion how do you know this?
Old 05-18-06, 10:16 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cleblanc
I also agree with Payam. This is an everyday annoyance that we should be able to turn off. How many times do you have to agree to this. I used to use a portable Garmin GPS unit and there was an option in the setup menu to bypass this kind of thing. Lexus should do the same. It should be one of the personal options.

there is no way to be sure that the driver is the same person that signed this "contract." therefore it would be prudent that lexus made sure that each and every person who used the device would acknowledge it's proper use. i don't know any other [easy] way to do that, if you know of one let us know.

your garmin gps is not intended for the vehicle. it is not fixed in your vehicle, it did not come with the vehicle, and it doesn't power on when the car starts. YOU put that device in your car so naturally YOU are responsible for it and it's use, not Garmin. I'm sure somewhere Garmin warned you to use it properly but there is not need to warn you everything time you turn on the device because Garmin didn't put that unit into service as an integrated car navigator.

Any car manufacturer who doesn't include this warning is simply opening themselves to further issues later down the line. So you have to remember, each car company has a legal team. some legal teams are smarter than others. not all of them are the best. some might think the risks are minimal. If I were on the Lexus legal team, I would have it set up exactly the way it is right now.
Old 05-18-06, 10:36 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I'm not saying there isn't a good reason (legally) to have that on there for Lexus. But Lexus also didn't want us to be able to play DVD's and access a lot of other functions while driving the car either and we managed a way to get around that. All I'm saying is that I would love to know a way to get around the "I Agree" as well...
Old 05-18-06, 10:46 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

OK, I'm not saying there isn't a good reason (legally) to have that on there for Lexus. But Lexus also didn't want us to be able to play DVD's and access a lot of other functions while driving the car either and we managed a way to get around that. All I'm saying is that I would love to know a way to get around the "I Agree" as well...
good point . . .
Old 05-18-06, 11:03 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

if there is a way to hack it, i will hack mine too. but you can expect lexus to ship the car without the screen locked down.

btw, the dvd player has the same sort of ok button that has to be pressed. the movie will start and you have hear it but you have to press OK to clear the tip from the screen.
Old 05-18-06, 11:22 AM
casey225
Pole Position

I agree, same thing with my Sienna minivan. There was a company who made some kind of connector for the Toyota nav system harness under the driver's seat, that I saw on a Sienna forum awhile back. Never really followed up on it.
Old 05-18-06, 11:23 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
if there is a way to hack it, i will hack mine too. but you can expect lexus to ship the car without the screen locked down.

btw, the dvd player has the same sort of ok button that has to be pressed. the movie will start and you have hear it but you have to press OK to clear the tip from the screen.
But I'm sure no one here plays a DVD everytime they start their car. It's not so bad pressing "ok" while playing a DVD, it's kind of like your accessing a special feature of the car, so that's understandable, not just driving.
Old 06-01-06, 05:56 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Default Dealer told me...

That it can be turned off...but only for their purposes...Its kinda like turning off the DRLs...Its on their menu of things that can be set via Lexus Personal Settings...but not for the consumer.

He told me they can do it for when they are doing service/diagnostics..but won't do it for the consumer...thanks to the litigation that is part of our society.

Hopefully there is some other way of doing it...like turning off the seat belt buzzer that we can do on our own.

I personally find the thing annoying..especially when making short trips..running errands for example..lots of starting and stopping of the car..

Anyone find a solution yet???

Quick Reply: Getting past the Legal Nav Screen