IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

MTEC vs. XenonDepot

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 10:03 AM
kramo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry MTEC vs. XenonDepot

I'm looking to get a 6000K HID conversion kit for my non HID IS. Did a search and couldn't find a difinitive answer on this...

MTEC is a little cheaper in price, but XenonDepot uses Phillips ballasts and bulbs...then again they're also on back order...

Guess it boils down to which is better -- MTEC or XenonDepot and why? I know this is probably a subjective question, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion.

Also, it looks as though the MTEC version might be bluer than the its XenonDepot counterpart, can anyone confirm this? I'm looking for something with a white light but still has a little of the "bimmer" affect --don't want to be hastled by the cops for being too blue

No idea why the angry smiley appeared next to the title...
Old 05-17-06, 10:11 AM
SuperiorSC
Lexus Test Driver

just sent a pm.
Old 05-17-06, 11:21 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I would like to know this too. I know MTECH's are made in Japan. Dont know about the xenondepot ones.

I want to get some too but i'm looking for the best quality HID's.

So which one is better? Over here xenondepot seems to be more popular.
Old 05-17-06, 11:31 AM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

MTEC HID kit's are rebased phillps ballasts...at least thats what I heard. Well I had the kit for 7 months now and im pretty satisfied.

Heres my MTEC's:

Old 05-17-06, 12:55 PM
kramo
Rookie

IS350S :

The MTEC look really nice!

Two questions:

In the pictures you lights look very white, but I have heard that they are in reality very blue. Which is it?

Secondly, your DRL seem to match the HIDs perfectly -- which bulbs did you use?

One last question : what exactly does "re-based ballasts" mean?
Old 05-17-06, 01:06 PM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kramo
IS350S :

Two questions:

In the pictures you lights look very white, but I have heard that they are in reality very blue. Which is it?

Here's my setup

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214439
Old 05-17-06, 01:17 PM
kramo
Rookie

The pictures in that thread look like the lights are really blue ... yet in the pictures above they look white with a slight hint of blue.

Maybe I need to get a lower colour temp... anybody know the official MTEC website address?
Old 05-17-06, 03:42 PM
gettingais
Rookie

I got the Xtec kit from understeer.com's group buy for about 256 including shipping. I am getting it installed right now and will post pics tonight.
Old 05-17-06, 04:42 PM
shox
Pole Position

I've had MTEC HIDs, MTEC bulbs, anything from MTEC I've had for my previous car and this one.

Just for the record, this has been my experience with MTEC, and just though I'd share just so people know. When I had MTEC bulbs back when I had my previous car (03 Celica GT) they were good. Just bulbs, so the light output wasn't great, which was what I expected, no big deal. I also installed MTEC fog bulbs, the super yellows, worked good. After about a month or so, one of my MTEC bulbs in my headlight burnt out, wierd. I've installed bulbs before, never had a problem. Then about a week or so after one of the headlights went out, one of my fog lights went out. Well that's just wierd, I didn't understand, and I've found out from other owner's of MTEC have had the same problem. Some, not all, maybe 20% of all the people I've talked to or chatted with. So, I suspected just a bad batch, whatever, got new HIDs for the Celica and they worked good. (not MTEC HIDs).

Now on this car, I heard about MTEC HIDs and saw pictures of 2IS owners installing them, no problem at all. Well, I go and install mine, this was back in February or January. Worked awesome, until problem arised 3 weeks ago. One of my MTEC ballasts is making wierd clicking noises and won't light up one of my HIDs. Well, to me, that's just not right.

I know people out there will say, I installed it wrong, I touched the bulb by accident, blah blah blah. Sorry to say, but I wear gloves when I install bulbs and make sure I never touch it. Also, how come my HIDs on my Celica never had a problem? Or any other cars that I've installed bulbs or HIDs in that weren't MTEC had no problem. Well, to me, MTEC isn't worth it. But again, just my experiences with MTEC, just thought I'd share.
Old 05-17-06, 07:58 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kramo
IS350S :

Two questions:

The output is like a whitish blue output. I used the 5 LED 194 from ebay to match the HIDs. I dont know but I think MTEC slaps their sticker over the Phillips ballast and resell them. BTW the MTEC kits comes with a serial number and a 2 yr warranty.
Old 05-17-06, 10:22 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the 4300k kit from xenon depot and it comes out pure white and is really bright. had it for a little over 2 years now and still working good.
Old 05-17-06, 11:13 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

go with xeondeopt dude, way better IMHO
Old 05-17-06, 11:36 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Xenon Depot. We are very selective about choosing vendors. Good reputation and good quality at good prices
Old 05-18-06, 02:36 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350S
MTEC HID kit's are rebased phillps ballasts...at least thats what I heard. Well I had the kit for 7 months now and im pretty satisfied.
Rebased ballasts?
Old 05-18-06, 05:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
i have the 4300k kit from xenon depot and it comes out pure white and is really bright. had it for a little over 2 years now and still working good.
I agree with the 4300K....more light is a good thing.

Quick Reply: MTEC vs. XenonDepot