IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LMS vs. Fujita 5 Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 08:53 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Car break in or not, the car is now making more power than my baseline with the JOEZ intake pipe. Also if breakin was an issue then my LMS intake should have yielded better gains over my baseline as it was dyno'd a few thousand miles after my baseline. I'm very confident in the JOEZ pipe for many reasons and not too confident in anything that draws in warm engine bay air and uses an oil filter such as K&N, which has already been shown to have negative affects on the MAF sensor.
Since we don't have a baseline for the LMS, we'll never know. It could be sapping 5 bhp for a net nothing gain.
Old 05-18-06, 08:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Since we don't have a baseline for the LMS, we'll never know. It could be sapping 5 bhp for a net nothing gain.
there was a baseline on his LMS dyno
Old 05-18-06, 08:56 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the stock intake is more of a cold air intake than the LMS Fujita intakes are (taking engine bay air), which is what you want for the most gain.

JoeZ and a K&N drop in filter would be close to what a true cold air intake would be, without the hacking of metal like you have to do to install some CAIs
Blitz will be releasing a non oil type drop in filter in the near future. That's what I'm planning to get.
Old 05-18-06, 10:21 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
there was a baseline on his LMS dyno
Look at my LMS dyno graph. The blue is my best baseline and red is the best LMS run.
Old 05-18-06, 11:31 AM
casey225
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmirk
Engine Efficiency vs. Cost Efficiency..... The engineers greatest battle!
I know what you are saying, but would it have cost that much more to make a smooth pipe rather than a ribbed one? Joe Z's are just over 100 bucks, when you're talking $35-45Kish for the car, that's a drop in the bucket. Especially, if they can advertise the extra 5bhp to distance themselves or get closer to their competitors, as the case may be.
Old 05-18-06, 11:44 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds to my like the Joe Z is the way to go . . . proven.
Old 05-18-06, 11:50 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mwaull
Sounds to my like the Joe Z is the way to go . . . proven.
Sorry to go off topic, but MWAULL your Avatar is very amusing. Ok back on topic, yes the JOEZ seems to be the way to go. Even if a company comes out with a true CAI later on, I sure wouldn't want to cut into my car to make room for an intake pipe to sneak out of the engine bay.
Old 05-19-06, 10:58 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the dyno for the fujita intake. Someone earlier made the statement that it offers no gains. Is there any other actual dyno proof to justify this claim?
Old 05-19-06, 11:08 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

You have to take the manufacturer's dyno plots with a grain of salt. Not saying that Fujita's plot is embellished but it's hard to believe that a different intake tube will yield 20 bhp.

With that said, independent dyno's have more weight with me as long as the parts being compared to each other or stock are dyno'd on the same day and conditions. There are too many variables even with sae correction (temp, humidity, dyno operator, dyno condition, continuing break-in or break down of the engine as the case may be, and even the gas you get from different stations) otherwise.

Last edited by al503; 05-19-06 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 11:19 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by al503
You have to take the manufacturer's dyno plots with a grain of salt. Not saying that Fujita's plot is embellished but it's hard to believe that a different intake tube will yield 20 bhp.
Lol, I understand what you're saying, which is why I was careful on how I posed the question. I have some sources which say its a legit dyno, no different than most any other indepedent test. I'm just trying to see if there actually are other independent test out there which prove that the fujita intake produces no gains, as someone made claim to earlier.
Old 05-19-06, 12:23 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

So then my question t all of you, so I can better understand, I should or should not put my stock intake back on? I have a fujita, and I like the growl, but I don't want to be losing power, and I don't want to take my car just to get dyno'd. Please help
Old 05-19-06, 12:51 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
So then my question t all of you, so I can better understand, I should or should not put my stock intake back on? I have a fujita, and I like the growl, but I don't want to be losing power, and I don't want to take my car just to get dyno'd. Please help
I'm not a big fan of short ram intakes.
1. even with heat shields, they draw in hot air from the engine bay. Every 10-11 degree increase in temp works out to about 1 psi. This is why some will notice that their cars feel stronger in the winter. You get denser air at lower temps = more oxygen in the combustion chamber.
2. improper maintenance/oiling of the filter element can lead to problems with the MAF, which isn't cheap.
3. heat soak. With a metal pipe, you get a lot more heat soak v. a plastic/rubber one. It's not a big issue once you get started and get the outside air to cool the pipe down but if you're at a stoplight or staging area, it will take more than a few seconds for the pipe to cool back down and you know where all of that heat is going, right?

I think the best intake would utilize the stock air box or a slightly modified one with a plastic tube that is internally smooth for less turbulence.
Old 05-19-06, 02:42 PM
kramo
Rookie

Just wanted to restate my original question in this thread ....not that I mind the current discussion -- very good info.

Does anyne know what the flange (opening) diameter is for the filter on the LMS intake? I've already determined that the Fujita is a 3.5 inch (it flares out just before the filter) but is the LMS the same?

The reason that I'm asking is because I already have a K&N cone filter with a 3 inch opeing that I would like to use in place of the ones that come with the kits. I realize that the filters are pobably identical (quality wise), but somehow I just feel more comfortable / better knowing that is says K&N

Last edited by kramo; 05-19-06 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 02:48 PM
powders2k
Driver School Candidate

Honestly someone should take all the of the intakes out there....

And dyno them all that day..... There are too many variables to say which one is better....

I have the LMS intake and I love the noise in the high end.... Personally the car is way too quiet
and it actually makes the car seam fast.....Definitely not as fast as my viper though.....hehehe

I would love to dyno them all if someone wants to meet up with the other goods....

I am in the Tampa, FL area.....

Joe
Old 05-19-06, 03:08 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
I don't want to be losing power, and I don't want to take my car just to get dyno'd. Please help
The thing is, nobody will really know until a few more indepdent test are ran. For the time being, I still have little reason to doubt a modified stock air box, as I've seen it work with other cars. As al503 touched on before, radiant heat in the engine bay can heat up metal pipes pretty good without a proper heat shield, while shorter intakes often suck in air aft of the radiator. Hopefully someone else with the fujita intake can provide dyno results so we can compare any gains to the baseline runs of the respective test.

Quick Reply: LMS vs. Fujita 5 Intakes