IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LMS vs. Fujita 5 Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-06, 03:13 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Shinobi how fast is your RX-7? 1/4? 0-60?
Old 05-19-06, 04:37 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
hey Shinobi how fast is your RX-7? 1/4? 0-60?
On the stock turbos, the car is mid to high 11s, trapping about 117. Traction is an issue, but I do plan to keep the stock wheels (for weight savings). To spare the rear end, I rarely launch the car, plus I need to redo the suspension/diff. bushings.
Old 05-19-06, 09:09 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by powders2k
Honestly someone should take all the of the intakes out there....

Joe
Actually Dasgalloway from IS300.NET is going to dyno all three intakes sometime this coming week. He was bashing my dyno and with enough arguments back and forth he has decided to get one of each intakes and dyno them all on the same day. He seems to know exactly how it should be done for fair results with all sorts of measurements.
Old 05-20-06, 09:28 AM
powders2k
Driver School Candidate

Saves me the time and effort....

Also I think i have your original LMS intake......

Joe
Old 05-20-06, 09:34 AM
shox
Pole Position

Well there's really no need to buy all three to test, the Fujita and the LMS are idealy the same, aren't they?

Just wondering, with the LMS wouldn't it be even less restrictive than stock because it uses a cone filter and basically runs air through a straight pipe? Cause with stock, the air first goes through the pipe beneath the hood, travels to the bottom of filter box, then up through the filter to the top of the filter box, then through the pipe into the intake manifold. Doesn't that sound somewhat restrictive as well. I'm not saying it doesn't draw in colder air or anything, but sounds to me with the colder air advantage you'd get from a JOEZ, you still have the awkward air travel which could cause restriction, no?
Old 05-20-06, 09:52 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Actually Dasgalloway from IS300.NET is going to dyno all three intakes sometime this coming week. He was bashing my dyno and with enough arguments back and forth he has decided to get one of each intakes and dyno them all on the same day. He seems to know exactly how it should be done for fair results with all sorts of measurements.
This will be interesting . . .
Old 05-20-06, 12:48 PM
jjwalker
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SRI's are for looks and sound. You are not going to get any noticeable gains, but you will get heatsoak, plain and simple.

Our cars have a cold air duct why in hell would you want to replace that with an SRI?

I don't want to name any company names but lets just say I've dealt with them regarding SRI's and ended up getting a replacement Cold Air Intake. That made a difference in my RSX Type-S.
Old 05-24-06, 08:51 AM
kramo
Rookie

Any news yet on the dyno testing results?
Old 05-24-06, 09:51 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kramo
Any news yet on the dyno testing results?
yes... they are somewhere... search for em

conclusion: no gains, only loss
Old 08-14-06, 10:42 PM
TLP_IS350
Pole Position

alright theres been alot of mixed feelings on SRI's, but my current LMS intake is awesome. One reason is because i used my BRAIN and FABRICATED with my own two hands a HEAT SHIELD! you have to think, when you remove the stock intake system and install the LMS system you notice that the pipe turns and the filter faces towards ur front fender. Now this is the second part, since the factory engine cover will clear the intake perfectly there will be no heat soak from the top. The only heat soak will come from behind the filter and under the pipe leading to the filter. So what you really want to do is fabricate a heat shield that will block the heat from behind and under the filter. Wat i did with my heat shield was i bent part of it toward the radiator fan. So when that fan kicks on if there is any heat where the filter is it actually blows that heat up and out of the filter area. And also at highway speeds if it kicks on it actually acts like a fan blowing extra air in. There's also been concerns about the oiling in the performance filters damaging the MAF sensor. Well there are synthetic filters now that dont use oil, and even though i dont run one right now i plan to in the future. i wil get pictures up on here and you will get a better idea of wat im saying. And the HEAT SHIELD makes a difference, after me and a friend of mine finished fabricating it we took it out for a drive, didnt noticed any heat soak in 90+degree weather. We drove around the block went back to his house. Took off the engine covers and stuck one hand next to the air filter and one hand behind the heat shield in the engine bay. I know it wasnt accurate but i think there was at least a 10-20 degree difference where the air filter was positioned in front of the heat shield and whereas the temp behind the shield in the engine bay. Ill get pics up as soon as possible so u can get a better pic. Heat shield only cost me 1 hour of my time. Also noticed better gas mileage wit the intake
Old 08-15-06, 04:48 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TLP_IS350
alright theres been alot of mixed feelings on SRI's, but my current LMS intake is awesome. One reason is because i used my BRAIN and FABRICATED with my own two hands a HEAT SHIELD! you have to think, when you remove the stock intake system and install the LMS system you notice that the pipe turns and the filter faces towards ur front fender. Now this is the second part, since the factory engine cover will clear the intake perfectly there will be no heat soak from the top. The only heat soak will come from behind the filter and under the pipe leading to the filter. So what you really want to do is fabricate a heat shield that will block the heat from behind and under the filter. Wat i did with my heat shield was i bent part of it toward the radiator fan. So when that fan kicks on if there is any heat where the filter is it actually blows that heat up and out of the filter area. And also at highway speeds if it kicks on it actually acts like a fan blowing extra air in. There's also been concerns about the oiling in the performance filters damaging the MAF sensor. Well there are synthetic filters now that dont use oil, and even though i dont run one right now i plan to in the future. i wil get pictures up on here and you will get a better idea of wat im saying. And the HEAT SHIELD makes a difference, after me and a friend of mine finished fabricating it we took it out for a drive, didnt noticed any heat soak in 90+degree weather. We drove around the block went back to his house. Took off the engine covers and stuck one hand next to the air filter and one hand behind the heat shield in the engine bay. I know it wasnt accurate but i think there was at least a 10-20 degree difference where the air filter was positioned in front of the heat shield and whereas the temp behind the shield in the engine bay. Ill get pics up as soon as possible so u can get a better pic. Heat shield only cost me 1 hour of my time. Also noticed better gas mileage wit the intake
+Rep to you man for actually being the first to do what I've been saying since February. I'm just not crafty enough to make my own. Lets see your photos. BTW.. you should get an OBDII scanner and monitor inlet air temps just for verification and compare it to the stock intake temps.
Old 08-15-06, 06:02 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I'd really like to see some pictures of it too so I can fabricate one for myself.
Old 08-15-06, 11:29 AM
shox
Pole Position

If this heat sheilf works, I would love to see. I'll fabricate one too, but then, I'm trying to figure out how to fabricate a CAI and measuring if there is enough room behind the fender between the wheel well.
Old 08-15-06, 11:50 AM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Get the K&N Typhoon Intake

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232849

It has a heat shield that also incorperates the front air scoop
Old 08-16-06, 02:03 PM
StockIS350
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X

Here is the dyno for the fujita intake. Someone earlier made the statement that it offers no gains. Is there any other actual dyno proof to justify this claim?

I find that hard to believe, even turbo cars don't get 20 rwh from intakes, don't expect that from a n/a car

Quick Reply: LMS vs. Fujita 5 Intakes