IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

LMS vs. Fujita 5 Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-06, 03:08 PM
kramo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LMS vs. Fujita 5 Intakes

Anyone know the diameter of the flange on the air filter with the LMS intake kit? I know that fujita's is 3.5 inches -- is this also the case with the LMS?

Also, any idea on what an LMS kit will run me?
Old 05-17-06, 03:20 PM
mlee21
Lexus Test Driver

no idea about the diameter... but the kit will run you about $255 at l-tunedparts.

have you considered the JOE Z intake?
Old 05-17-06, 03:30 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

JOE Z has been proven to make power, even tho its just a pipe still using the stock airbox, stock piping is not smooth
Old 05-17-06, 03:39 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic but someone should just make a plastic (same material as the OEM) tube shaped like the joe z and sell it for $80. You won't have the heatsoak issues with metal and it'll be lighter (not by much but every bit helps especially in the front of the car.) You could also use the OEM clamps. Tooling up might be somewhat expensive but after that, you probably have $2-3 in materials.

Last edited by al503; 05-17-06 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-17-06, 06:51 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I may be slightly off topic as well, but, the Japanese are such masters at maximizing efficiency, I don't understand the design of the stock intake pipe with the ribbed outpouchings. Secondly, what is the horshoe shaped thing on the side? Both of these would seemingly produce great amounts of turbulence, but, I am no engineer. Would the ribs somehow eliminate the slower moving air along the wall of the intake and by some stretch of the imagination, improve the flow centrally? Seems easier just to make a smooth pipe - I ordered the Joe Z, myself. Any engineers want to chime in on this one?
Old 05-17-06, 07:10 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Engine Efficiency vs. Cost Efficiency..... The engineers greatest battle!
Old 05-17-06, 07:17 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tmirk
Engine Efficiency vs. Cost Efficiency..... The engineers greatest battle!
ding - unfortunately the beancounters often have the last word
Old 05-17-06, 07:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by casey225
I may be slightly off topic as well, but, the Japanese are such masters at maximizing efficiency, I don't understand the design of the stock intake pipe with the ribbed outpouchings. Secondly, what is the horshoe shaped thing on the side? Both of these would seemingly produce great amounts of turbulence, but, I am no engineer. Would the ribs somehow eliminate the slower moving air along the wall of the intake and by some stretch of the imagination, improve the flow centrally? Seems easier just to make a smooth pipe - I ordered the Joe Z, myself. Any engineers want to chime in on this one?
resonator to make the intake quieter, and yes the ribs slow the intake charge, caymandive dynoed his joez intake and it gained 7whp throughout. Most of the gains were at higher rpms which makes sense, as the ribs would slow high rpm air flow
Old 05-18-06, 07:27 AM
kramo
Rookie

I haven't considered the JOE Z because it uses the stock air box. I like the look of the cone filters and also the "growl" that the open filter gives the engine.

Any difference in the addition power made between the fujita and LMS?
Old 05-18-06, 07:45 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Both the fujita and LMS are a total waste of money IMO. Terrible design and does not give you any power, just the opposite. If you feel 306HP is simply too much and the car needs to be louder, then i'd recommend it.
Old 05-18-06, 07:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
resonator to make the intake quieter, and yes the ribs slow the intake charge, caymandive dynoed his joez intake and it gained 7whp throughout. Most of the gains were at higher rpms which makes sense, as the ribs would slow high rpm air flow
Actually got little over 5whp and 5tq throughout. I also dyno'd the LMS intake and was losing 10hp and 10tq until I added an additional fan that brought my power back up to +1hp over my baseline and +5 tq and actually was still making less power than stock at the top end.

LMS DYNO:

JOE Z DYNO:

Last edited by caymandive; 05-18-06 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-18-06, 08:28 AM
kramo
Rookie

So the LMS and Fujita actually rob power?!

If I hadn't hacked up my stock air box, I think I would still with that. Lexus wants $680 for a new one!
Old 05-18-06, 08:31 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not trying to burst your bubble and I definitely appreciate your time/$/effort in bringing this info to the board, but because you took the dynos several months apart, it could be that the car is just continuing to break in. For the best accuracy, someone is going to have to try both tubes on the same day and conditions, if possible.
Old 05-18-06, 08:44 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
I'm not trying to burst your bubble and I definitely appreciate your time/$/effort in bringing this info to the board, but because you took the dynos several months apart, it could be that the car is just continuing to break in. For the best accuracy, someone is going to have to try both tubes on the same day and conditions, if possible.
Car break in or not, the car is now making more power than my baseline with the JOEZ intake pipe. Also if breakin was an issue then my LMS intake should have yielded better gains over my baseline as it was dyno'd a few thousand miles after my baseline. I'm very confident in the JOEZ pipe for many reasons and not too confident in anything that draws in warm engine bay air and uses an oil filter such as K&N, which has already been shown to have negative affects on the MAF sensor.
Old 05-18-06, 08:51 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

the stock intake is more of a cold air intake than the LMS Fujita intakes are (taking engine bay air), which is what you want for the most gain.

JoeZ and a K&N drop in filter would be close to what a true cold air intake would be, without the hacking of metal like you have to do to install some CAIs

Quick Reply: LMS vs. Fujita 5 Intakes