IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Urgggg Creaking Back window when sun hits it

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-11, 10:07 PM
scampbell
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, to bring a dead thread back to life, my 06 is doing this, and it is horrible. I can't even drive the car with the music down it is so bad. Did anyone ever try this themselves? I would like to fix it myself but I am not sure whats involved in dropping the headliner, does anyone know of a how to for that?
The following users liked this post:
BCboy (09-18-22)
Old 04-10-11, 10:39 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this few months ago. Don't remember the details. But you need to remove the C-pillar panels, rear dome light assembly and partially drop the head liner. Then remove the antenna assembly to expose a black plastic stopper (2 stoppers total both sides). Follow the instructions on GS recall work (exactly the same layout). You can find a pdf file on this thread somewhere.

No more annoying noise! Good luck.
Old 04-11-11, 05:36 AM
scampbell
Rookie

thanks, i will try to take some pictures while i do this and make a how to since this seems to be so common
Old 04-11-11, 03:31 PM
scampbell
Rookie

well i did the cutting the tab fix on the rear windshield this afternoon by myself... it seems to have fixed the problem but i am not sure because it is usually after my car has been sitting in the sun for a while. I didnt take any pictures because it was hot and humid and the backseat is quite cramped.

I can say that it is quite a pain in the *** process, I have had the interior out of pretty much every car I have ever owned, but this one takes the cake. I took out the rear domelight (easy) the two rear oh **** handles (easy once i figured out how they worked), the two clothes hanger thingies, and then the two c pillar panels, which came out surprisingly easy also. That was where the easiness ended however... i removed all 3 rear headrests so i could crane my neck up in there and see what i was doing, and i ended up just breaking the damn clips off with blunt force using a flat head screwdriver, and one of the bastards broke loose and hit me in the eye. Of course I had to take out the stupid fm signal amp or whatever the hell that thing is back there to get to the clip on the passenger side, that wasnt too bad though just used a ratcheting 10mm wrench and a 1/4" drive 10 mil socket.

Reassembly was much trickier than ripping everything out, but if you take your time and pay attn to how everything fits together you will be fine. It took me about an hour total, dont be scared to try this yourself because it isnt that bad and the rewards are well worth it.
Old 04-15-12, 12:38 AM
yanefski
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spring is here and the creaking noise from my rear windshield of my 07-IS350 is back. This first happened 2 years ago when the vehicle was under warranty, but then went away so I never reported it. Then last April came back and I took it in but my full-meal-deal warranty had just run out a couple months earlier. They were charging 111/hr. to play around and try to find it. That wasn't going to work for my budget. True to form, it seemed to go away and I haven't heard it for a long time till this past weekend. I have been combing the pages to find links and have printed three TSIBs - 2 from Lexus and one from Toyota. I am having some body work done by the dealer and am hopeful to bring in the TSIBs and convince them to honor the work because of the nature of the problem being "intermittent" but also widely know to be a defect. Wish me luck

Here are links

03-07 Lexus front windshield

http://www.lexustsb.com/getattachmen...A2LnBkZg%3D%3D

Toyota front/rear windshield

http://www.toyotapart.com/UPPER_LOWE...SB-0142-08.pdf

There is one more I printed but am too tired to find the source for at the moment. It is the NV002-05. Applies to rear windshield of 06 GS 300 & GS 430.

Note all 3 of these are citing the exact same problem and require you to cut off the heads of those pins.

I will update next week as I discover if the dealer will help or if I have to crawl in the back of my car and do this myself.
Old 04-15-12, 07:30 AM
CCJ22
Pole Position

Add me to the list of shetty rear windshield
Old 04-15-12, 07:44 PM
TTechLexus
Lead Lap

Have the same problem, I'll be doing the GS recall on my car. Hope it works!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hits-it-6.html
Old 05-31-12, 08:52 AM
Thinktwice
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TTechLexus
Have the same problem, I'll be doing the GS recall on my car. Hope it works!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...hits-it-6.html
I'm confused... you provided a link to the same page anyone reading this is already viewing?

Anyway, I'm having this issue again too. Time to fix it once and for all. I had to remove the headliner when I installed my sharkfin and boy is that a PITA!
Old 03-09-13, 12:33 PM
funglenn
Lead Lap

any body have any other fixes? or pictures of what these clips look like? I have managed to kill the dash squeaks by pushing foam in between the firewall and dash pad to keep it from moving with sucess.

Now the back rattle--I really want to try stuff that does not require pulling the headliner. Foam is our friend!
Old 03-09-13, 03:31 PM
unco
Driver School Candidate

I didn't realize there was a thread about this until now.
I had the same creaking issue whenever my car sat in the sun for long periods at a time.
I actually thought it was coming from the sunroof, took it in to my dealer one hot day after work when I knew it would be creaking and had one of their service guys test drive it and listen to it.
He told me to book in for a day when the forecast was to be hot again so I did.

When I took it in on the morning of the booking, they planned to leave my car in the sun until midday and then begin work on it.

When I picked up the car afterwards, he told me it was actually the rear windshield mounting points that was causing the creaking noise, and that they had fixed it.
I've been through 2 more summer seasons and haven't heard the noise again so I'm happy!

Here's what my service invoice said for anyone interested.

Old 05-13-13, 11:00 AM
blubyu
Driver School Candidate

Can anyone snap a pic of where the clips are located that need to be broken off? There is hardly any room to see up in the headliner and I cannot locate these tabs. The creaking is driving me nuts.

Any quick help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-13-13, 02:45 PM
blubyu
Driver School Candidate

If someone could take a min and point out where these clips are located it would be appreciated. My creaking is so annoying I want to run the car off a cliff. This is by far the worst car I have ever owned from a noise standpoint.
Old 05-13-13, 03:20 PM
nastyemu
Driver

add me to the list of people looking for relief. mine started creaking last week too. it aint spring till that back window says so
Old 06-10-13, 04:59 PM
06i
Driver

i've removed the 2 clips from my back window but the creak still persists... are there tabs on the bottom on the rear window as well??

any other ideas? annoying as hell especially now that the weather is nicer

just confirmed that it's not the tabs at the top as posted in the TSB's (i had the liner down, and the power module off but still creaked)

does anyone know if there are tabs along the bottom of the window?

Last edited by 06i; 06-10-13 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-11-13, 05:03 AM
blubyu
Driver School Candidate

I am only getting the creak on the drivers side top. I cut off the tab and its still making noise but it has changed in tone now. It is coming from the same area, guess I need to see if I can remove more or separate it somehow. It is definitely the most annoying noise I have ever encountered in any car/suv I have owned.

Quick Reply: Urgggg Creaking Back window when sun hits it