IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Squeaking driver's seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 01:14 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking driver's seat

I noticed this abot a month ago and it still hasn't gone away and I'm not sure what it is exactly. But my driver's seat squeaks when I get in and out of the car.... It almost sounds like a squeaky bed or like a spring that is squeaking. Any one else notice this?? I'm about 200lb btw.
Old 05-18-06, 01:29 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Loose some weight? j/k lol

Mine doesn't do that.. and im just a little lighter than you
Old 05-18-06, 01:35 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Loose some weight? j/k lol

Mine doesn't do that.. and im just a little lighter than you
It's all muscle baby!! lol.
Old 05-18-06, 01:54 PM
dong888
Pole Position

Listen carefully next time you got out of the door. The sound came from the suspension. I was having the same problem and initial I thought it came from the door. But after listening carefully for a few times, I think it came from the suspension. You can actually re-produce the sound - just move up and down couple times on your seat with the door open.

I have sports package - do not know if that makes a difference.
Old 05-18-06, 02:46 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

yea it could be suspension, pot holes and crappy roads are death beds to suspensions
Old 05-18-06, 06:14 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

no, it's actually the seat. I have listened closely with the door open and closed, the sound seems to be coming from the area where the seat adjustment controls are.
Old 05-18-06, 06:33 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Payam
no, it's actually the seat. I have listened closely with the door open and closed, the sound seems to be coming from the area where the seat adjustment controls are.
Having the same problem. I'm having my 5K service next week and I'm going to bring this up. More so to have the problem recorded than anything else. I'm guessing that they'll just torque down the seat anchors. I think that's typically what causes seat squeaks. Mine is VERY subtle. You can barely hear it. But once I noticed it last week it's been driving me CRAZY. I also have a rattle around where my passenger side seatbelt retracts into the b-pillar. I've heard someone else mention this and they said it was fixed when they had their seatbelt recall performed. I'm having that done next week also.

Edit: sweet... no longer a rookie. 100th post. I'm a driver now. One more thing. Payam, I noticed you joined CL about the same time I did back in December. That means that we must have bought our cars around the same time. The seatbelt issue I mentioned I seem to recall someone saying there was a documented QA issue in the Tahara plant that caused this (screws not tightened to spec). I wonder if the seat thing could be the same sort of issue given our cars came from the same plant probably within a couple weeks of each other.

Last edited by ahohnstein; 05-18-06 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-18-06, 07:57 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Having the same problem. I'm having my 5K service next week and I'm going to bring this up. More so to have the problem recorded than anything else. I'm guessing that they'll just torque down the seat anchors. I think that's typically what causes seat squeaks. Mine is VERY subtle. You can barely hear it. But once I noticed it last week it's been driving me CRAZY. I also have a rattle around where my passenger side seatbelt retracts into the b-pillar. I've heard someone else mention this and they said it was fixed when they had their seatbelt recall performed. I'm having that done next week also.

Edit: sweet... no longer a rookie. 100th post. I'm a driver now. One more thing. Payam, I noticed you joined CL about the same time I did back in December. That means that we must have bought our cars around the same time. The seatbelt issue I mentioned I seem to recall someone saying there was a documented QA issue in the Tahara plant that caused this (screws not tightened to spec). I wonder if the seat thing could be the same sort of issue given our cars came from the same plant probably within a couple weeks of each other.
Yeah, you bring up a good point. We're in the same region too, so they probably built our cars right after each other. I was sitting in my car a little while ago just rocking my weight back and forth listening to the squeak, it sounds like it could be a bolt or two not screwed down enough.
Congrats on the 100th post.
Old 05-19-06, 01:14 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

heater assembly is loose. dealer fixed mine, no noise. this was 2 months ago.
Old 07-14-06, 03:36 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Yeah, you bring up a good point. We're in the same region too, so they probably built our cars right after each other. I was sitting in my car a little while ago just rocking my weight back and forth listening to the squeak, it sounds like it could be a bolt or two not screwed down enough.
Congrats on the 100th post.
Just a quick update. Took my 2IS 350 in for the 5K service (actually it's at 7500). Told my service person about the squeaky seat. It's been getting steadily worse. Turns out there was a bulletin out about it. They clipped off some tabs or something like that and it took care of the problem. FYI.
Old 07-14-06, 05:42 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
Just a quick update. Took my 2IS 350 in for the 5K service (actually it's at 7500). Told my service person about the squeaky seat. It's been getting steadily worse. Turns out there was a bulletin out about it. They clipped off some tabs or something like that and it took care of the problem. FYI.

Yeap, same with me, some clips were loose or something....fixed now.
Old 10-02-06, 05:44 PM
pandora
Driver School Candidate

After struggling with the increasing driver's seat squeak for couple weeks - went to see the service department.
Result: driver seat replaced.
I'm 230 pounds, 6'2"
Old 10-02-06, 06:02 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

DUDE>. i'm having the same problem.. when i get in and out.. i thought it was suspension but it's the damn seat.. if you move the back part of the seat side to side you can replicate it easily
Old 10-02-06, 06:12 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm having the same problem in my car...sounds like a bad spring in a mattress everytime i get out of the car
Old 10-02-06, 11:19 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pandora
After struggling with the increasing driver's seat squeak for couple weeks - went to see the service department.
Result: driver seat replaced.
I'm 230 pounds, 6'2"
HOLY CRAP! They gave you a new seat? I was told it was the clasps that hold the leather to the seat, that they're defective and just need to be swapped. Nice work! Did they tell you your whole seat was defective?

Quick Reply: Squeaking driver's seat