IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Clear Bra Brand - Avery Dennison vs. 3M

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 09:58 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
I recommend the 3M brand based on my own personal experience with the product. I have it on both of my Lexus vehicles and I also had it on my BMW M Coupe for close to 5yrs without any issues and it's been on my GX for over 3 yrs. I have run all my vehicles through brushless car washes and I lived in Boston with the M Coupe so it saw plenty of abuse during the winter from salt to sand. 3M warranties their product for 5 years and some installers will offer an additional warranty on top of that. 3M is a large and stable company so you know they will be around for 5yrs to stand behind their product. The lifetime warranties offered by smaller more obscure companies are only as good as long as the company is still in business, not to mention the fine print is so ambiguous it gives them an "out." When I was in the car business, I saw plenty of the off brand clear bras go bad (fade and or peel) within a few years only to have the manufacturer claim that the product was misused so it would not be covered under warranty. And more recently despite my recommendation my father had the venture shield installed on his Toyota only to have it fade after 2.5 yrs. It is cloudy/yellowing and highly visible now. You can barely see the 3M on my GX even after 3yrs - it's night and day parked next to my dad's car. 3M is harder to work with because it is a thicker more durable product. After installed it dries clear and is almost invisable from 2 ft away.

If you are going to get the hood and bumper done you should also include the front fenders, otherwise what is the point? They come in kits, but can be custom cut if necessary. Shop around and you will find prices vary from installer to installer, but generally average around $650-$750, which will cover your mirrors, hood, fenders, and bumper. Make sure the installer is a certified 3M installer or you will get no warranty. Check out 3M's website for more info and to fina a local installer in your area. Here's the link...

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3..._the/Consumer/
Wow thanks for the reply! I am just worried, say we keep the car 10 years and the stuff starts to peel off. That would really erk me being I am trying to keep the paint nice and now its peeling. It must be tough to get it off and hard on the paint if ever needed to be taken off and reapplied. Yes, no? This is going on the pearl white.
Old 01-23-09, 10:00 AM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Thanks for the website as well! Here are some good FAQ'S on it.

Frequently Asked Questions

Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film

Purchasing and Installation
Maintenance and Removal
Warranty

Purchasing and Installation
Q. Can I purchase Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film directly from 3M?
A. 3M sells larger rolls of film to selected 3M Authorized Distributors and Converters and not to end consumers. 3M does not manufacture vehicle-specific film kits nor does 3M install kits on consumer vehicles. There are hundreds of professional certified installers throughout the United States that sell film kits who also apply it to your vehicle. Click on "Where to Buy" in the "Consumer" section of this website to search by the city and state to find the nearest professional certified installer(s).

Q. How much does it cost to have Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film installed on my vehicle?
A. This is a question for your professional certified installer. There are many makes and models of cars, trucks, RVs and boats. On personal vehicles Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is most often used to cover the front portion of the hood. 3M film is also commonly applied to painted bumpers, mirror backs, truck bed rails, door handle inserts, door edges, rocker panels, mirror backs, wheel openings, etc. Any painted surface of a car, truck, van, SUV, RV, boat or motorcycle that is susceptible to bug damage and rock chips can be covered with paint protection film. Since the amount of film required and difficulty of application will vary by vehicle model, 3M suggests you contact professional certified installers near you for their recommendations and price quotes.

Q. Can I install Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film myself?
A. 3M strongly recommends that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be installed by a fully trained and certified, professional certified installer. These are skilled certified installers in applying the film around compound curves, challenging grillwork, wheel openings, bumpers and all other areas on today's vehicles.

Q. How can I get additional information about Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. Many professional certified installers have extensive experience and can answer your questions or browse this website for information on Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film and a listing of professional certified installers.

Back to the Top of Page

Maintenance and Removal
Q. Will Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film harm the painted surface if the film is removed?
A. If the film is properly applied to a fully cured painted vehicle, it can be removed, usually in one piece, without damaging paint surfaces beneath the film.

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be applied over a vehicle that has had the paint touched up?
A. 3M recommends that any repainted surfaces on your vehicle be professionally painted and fully cured before applying paint protection film. If you have touched up scratches or chips with a tube of "touch-up" paint and then apply paint protection film over it, the film will protect that area until it is removed. If the paint protection film is removed, it is possible that the area around the non-professional touch-up paint could peel off.

Q. Will the paint smear if Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is applied over a newly painted vehicle?
A. The paint on a newly painted vehicle must be cured according to manufacturer's recommendations. Your body shop should be able to provide you with this information.

Q. Can you paint or apply a clearcoat over the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. No, this is not recommended and is at your own risk. 3M film is supplied with an OEM-approved clearcoat which is not formulated to be over-printed, painted or clearcoated.

Q. Can I cover the whole vehicle with Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. It is possible, but the application would be difficult and expensive. This product is really intended for the most vulnerable areas of the vehicle.

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be applied over graphics?
A. The clear film will not interfere with vinyl or painted graphics and is designed to match the gloss levels of today's automotive factory clearcoat paint systems, providing virtually invisible protection. However, if the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is removed, damage may occur to the underlying graphic during the removal process.

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on headlights, foglights or windshields?
A. No, the Department of Transportation does not allow any film of any kind to be put on headlights, foglights or windshields.

Q. Does Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film stick to bumpers?
A. Yes.

Q. Does Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film stick to plastic?
A. Yes.

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on boats or other watercraft?
A. Yes. Marine requirements are different than automotive, so it is important to contact 3M's Marine Trades Division for information on these applications. For specific information, please call 3M Marine at 1-877-366-2746 for assistance.

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be used on aircraft?
A. Aircraft requirements are completely different than automotive, so it is important to contact 3M's Aerospace Division for information on these applications. Please call 1-888-364-3577 for assistance or use the on-line 3M Aerospace Contact Us form.

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film to used for signs?
A. The film would probably stick, but you would need to test any specific application. 3M has no specific testing data for signs, so no warranty can be offered.

Q. Does Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film resist yellowing?
A. Yes, it resists yellowing because the film is constructed of thermoplastic urethane, a tough, conformable material that is covered by a clear coat layer. The film and clear coat layers contain UV protectants to counteract harmful ultraviolet rays that can cause yellowing.

Q. Does Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film come in colors?
A. Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is available only as a clear film. This feature makes the film virtually invisible while protecting the beauty of your vehicle.

Q. How is Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film maintained?
A. Once applied, refrain from washing the vehicle in an automated car wash for 24 hours. Washing after that time presents no problem, and no special care need be taken for the film.

Q. Can I use wax over Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. Yes. When waxing the vehicle, some wax may build up along the film edges. This can easily be removed when dry with a soft cloth, such as a 3M™ High Performance Cloth. Do not use any waxes containing dyes or waxes that are not recommended for urethanes. Abrasive polishes and/or rubbing compounds are not to be used.

Q. What products does 3M recommend to best maintain Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film?
A. 3M makes a variety of products to help maintain the beauty of your vehicle. 3M™ Car Wash Soap (3M Part #39000), 3M™ Show Car Paste Wax (3M Part #39526 and 3M™ Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Wax (3M Part #39026). The best surface cloth to use is the 3M™ Perfect-IT™ III Detailing Cloth (3M Part #39016) since others may scratch the surface of the film.

Q. How is Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film removed?
A. If desired, film can be removed at any time by picking up a corner of the film and pulling the film off the vehicle surface at a 90-degree angle. If the film has been present a long time, or if the film and vehicle are cold, a heat gun or hair dryer may be used to soften the adhesive, allowing easier removal. If any adhesive remains on the vehicle after removal of the film, it can be removed by using 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M Part #08984), according to the package directions.

Q. If Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is removed from the vehicle, can it be re-used?
A. Once the film has been applied and set, the adhesive will not stick a second time.

Q. After Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film has been removed, how do I get any excess adhesive off my vehicle?
A. If any adhesive remains on the vehicle after removal of the film, it can be removed by using 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner (3M Part #08984), according to the package directions.

Q. What if Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is installed incorrectly?
A. Contact your Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film professional certified installer immediately.

Back to the Top of Page

Warranty
Q. What is the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film warranty?
A. 3M warrants that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film, installed after November 1, 2003, will be free of defects in materials and manufacture — including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking — for five (5) years from date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris.

Q. How do I make a warranty claim?
A. To make a claim under this warranty, simply contact 3M at 1-800-643-0955. 3M will direct you to an certified installer selected by 3M to have your Scotchgard Paint Protection Film inspected and, if your claim is covered by this Warranty, 3M will have the certified installer remove the old and reapply new Scotchgard Paint Protection Film.

Remedies and Limitations: The 3M warranty and limited remedies stated in this document are exclusive and is made in place of all other express or implied warranties, including any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. 3M shall not be liable for any other damages or costs, including incidental or consequential damages, arising out of the use of inability to use Scotchgard paint Protection Film or any vehicle to which it has been applied.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 01-23-09, 10:26 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy1976
Wow thanks for the reply! I am just worried, say we keep the car 10 years and the stuff starts to peel off. That would really erk me being I am trying to keep the paint nice and now its peeling. It must be tough to get it off and hard on the paint if ever needed to be taken off and reapplied. Yes, no? This is going on the pearl white.
This stuff is not as durable as paint, so don't expect that will wear or last as long. I cannot attest how it will wear over 10 yrs, but I don't think anyone can considering this product technology was first introduced in certain markets just around 10 yrs ago. Even if you have to replace the hood piece which takes the brunt of the elements (sun, rain, snow etc) after 8 yrs for $125 for one reason or another think about all of the stone chips and crap it saved your paint from, not to mention the benefit at resale. That's $15 a year for paint protection. What I do believe though is it will wear better then most if not all other products if it is maintained properly and not subjected to prolonged adverse conditions. I could be wrong here, but I believe 3M first introduced the product. Then others jumped on the band wagon. Will the clear bra look as good as the day you put it on, no, but neither will your paint. You wax it just like paint to clean off contaminents and keep it looking clear and shiny. I remember having it put on my M Coupe in Boston back in '99 and moving back to DC in 2000 and NOT one dealership offered it nor could I find an installer in the area. Actually thought about opening up a shop - coulda shoulda woulda... Now the product is offered everywhere.

Anyway, it can be difficult to remove, but it is not hard on the paint, meaning it will not peel it up or damage it in anyway. Had a piece changed out once after spilling brake fluid on it - ruined the clear bra but protected my paint - that shiet eats through just about anything. That said, an installer should remove it if you ever decide to change out a piece. You will not even see it on the pearl, should look very nice. Good luck and take/post some pics.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-23-09 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-23-09, 12:14 PM
Jeremy1976
Driver

Originally Posted by cssnms
This stuff is not as durable as paint, so don't expect that will wear or last as long. I cannot attest how it will wear over 10 yrs, but I don't think anyone can considering this product technology was first introduced in certain markets just around 10 yrs ago. Even if you have to replace the hood piece which takes the brunt of the elements (sun, rain, snow etc) after 8 yrs for $125 for one reason or another think about all of the stone chips and crap it saved your paint from, not to mention the benefit at resale. That's $15 a year for paint protection. What I do believe though is it will wear better then most if not all other products if it is maintained properly and not subjected to prolonged adverse conditions. I could be wrong here, but I believe 3M first introduced the product. Then others jumped on the band wagon. Will the clear bra look as good as the day you put it on, no, but neither will your paint. You wax it just like paint to clean off contaminents and keep it looking clear and shiny. I remember having it put on my M Coupe in Boston back in '99 and moving back to DC in 2000 and NOT one dealership offered it nor could I find an installer in the area. Actually thought about opening up a shop - coulda shoulda woulda... Now the product is offered everywhere.

Anyway, it can be difficult to remove, but it is not hard on the paint, meaning it will not peel it up or damage it in anyway. Had a piece changed out once after spilling brake fluid on it - ruined the clear bra but protected my paint - that shiet eats through just about anything. That said, an installer should remove it if you ever decide to change out a piece. You will not even see it on the pearl, should look very nice. Good luck and take/post some pics.
Alright! Thanks much for the info bud!
Old 01-23-09, 04:12 PM
ott1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend getting the a pillar done too.
Old 01-23-09, 06:25 PM
vha23
Rookie

i had my whole hood done, along with the usual front end parts. i also made sure they overlapped a little bit on the front edge of the hood, so there would be no line and full protection there. i think the largest roll width is 42 inches, so that leaves about 1 inch uncovered in the top two corners of my hood. 2 small lines at the top are much better then a line all the way across the front of the hood in my opinion.

by the way, its 3M, but i've only had it for like 6 months, so i cant comment on the yellowing.

just my .02
Old 01-31-09, 01:28 AM
outdateboy
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know of good and low cost installer in the bay area that you'd recommend to me? I just picked up my IS 350 today. From what i read here, it looks like it costs $600-$750 to install the 3M film. I want to get it done tomorrow.
Old 02-02-09, 10:52 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by outdateboy
Does anyone know of good and low cost installer in the bay area that you'd recommend to me? I just picked up my IS 350 today. From what i read here, it looks like it costs $600-$750 to install the 3M film. I want to get it done tomorrow.
call Premier. I've had them do all of my cars and very happy with their work. www.premiermobilegroup.com and they do a lot of exotics.
Old 02-03-09, 06:34 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by outdateboy
You can also do a search here.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!...9ggxHRQAm630W/
Old 02-04-09, 10:33 AM
outdateboy
Driver School Candidate

I called Matt (Central Coast Clear Bra) and he did the thing for me for $660 after tax at my garage.

The entire thing includes, 3M 24" 8mil film for:
hood
front bumper
headlight
side mirror
door edge
door handle
top of rear bumper (i love this b/c i can start to side heavy luggage into the trunk without worrying scratching the bumper pain)