IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Added options versus depreciation/resale value

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 02:34 AM
paeko73
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Added options versus depreciation/resale value

As mentioned in the other thread, I just picked up an IS250 RWD automatic w/ no options added. As I were about to leave the dealership, my saleperson told me that if she was to buy an IS, she would personally pick a "base" model because it will depreciate less when it's time to resell/trade-in. Asked her why and she replied, "Because the Blue Book and MOST used car buyers don't really care much about the added options (unless it's something important like power windows and A/C)." I thought about that on the way home to see whether it makes sense or not. What do you guys think?
Old 05-20-06, 07:28 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

She is right. For instance, a navigation equipped model may sell before an otherwise similar car but will not get more money. Especially on this car where most of the options folks want are already there (power everything, sunrrof, auto, etc.).
Old 05-20-06, 08:01 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

She's right, but if your car buying decisions were driven strictly by economics, you'd go home with a factory-certified used one. Like any other car, your Lexus is going to depreciate more in year one than in any other year.

I buy my cars well-equipped, because that is what I like to drive. When it comes time to sell, I know I won't get much for the options, but so what? I had the pleasure of using them during my time with the car.

If I choose to sell the car privately, I do believe that generally speaking, a loaded car is easier to sell than a bare bones model.
Old 05-20-06, 08:01 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at it that limited way, perhaps she is right. But the little options and accessories are for YOU, not for the next owners, you are not buying them in order to resell them. The fact that you appreciated them and used them up is why they depreciated to $0. I have a trunk mat and net in my car so that everyday for the next several years, I can enjoy $80 worth out of it. If I do, doesn't matter to me if the next owner pays me $0 for it. I just take it out of the car and sell it for $50 on my own so the converse is also true: all those accessories that you reasonably paid for you don't have to leave them in the car when you resell your car according to the Book. My last Acura, since Acura comes standard with everything except Nav, I stripped it down and didn't lose a penny in resale value due to the absense of "options", but I sold several hundred dollars worth of accessories. Do what you want that pleasing and helpful to you. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of extra money on options but try to buy things that you will use and that may work in your next car or things that are easily resold. While it is nice to have a great resale value, it's not everything.
Old 05-20-06, 12:32 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
If you look at it that limited way, perhaps she is right. But the little options and accessories are for YOU, not for the next owners, you are not buying them in order to resell them. The fact that you appreciated them and used them up is why they depreciated to $0. I have a trunk mat and net in my car so that everyday for the next several years, I can enjoy $80 worth out of it. If I do, doesn't matter to me if the next owner pays me $0 for it. I just take it out of the car and sell it for $50 on my own so the converse is also true: all those accessories that you reasonably paid for you don't have to leave them in the car when you resell your car according to the Book. My last Acura, since Acura comes standard with everything except Nav, I stripped it down and didn't lose a penny in resale value due to the absense of "options", but I sold several hundred dollars worth of accessories. Do what you want that pleasing and helpful to you. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of extra money on options but try to buy things that you will use and that may work in your next car or things that are easily resold. While it is nice to have a great resale value, it's not everything.
Yes, you are right in term of the options are for me (first owner) to enjoy! However, not all the added options on the IS can be removed. For example, in this package I was looking at,

Choice "E" ($4,815):
(HW) Headlamp washers with headlamp cleaner
(LT) Premium Luxury Plus Package (18" RWD)
Wood interior trim
225/40R 18+255/40R 18" alloy with summer tires
High Intensity Discharge + Adaptive Front Lighting System w/Auto Level Headlamps
Heated & Ventilated Front Seats
Memory
Illuminated scuff plates
Perforated leather seat upgrade
(PA) Parking Assist

... I don't see anything that can be removed. Maybe I wasn't clear on this, but the term "options" here meant big $$ options like the ones above, not mini ones like trunk mats, trunk net, wheel locks, etc.
Old 05-20-06, 01:38 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paeko73
Yes, you are right in term of the options are for me (first owner) to enjoy! However, not all the added options on the IS can be removed. For example, in this package I was looking at,

Choice "E" ($4,815):
(HW) Headlamp washers with headlamp cleaner
(LT) Premium Luxury Plus Package (18" RWD)
Wood interior trim
225/40R 18+255/40R 18" alloy with summer tires
High Intensity Discharge + Adaptive Front Lighting System w/Auto Level Headlamps
Heated & Ventilated Front Seats
Memory
Illuminated scuff plates
Perforated leather seat upgrade
(PA) Parking Assist

... I don't see anything that can be removed. Maybe I wasn't clear on this, but the term "options" here meant big $$ options like the ones above, not mini ones like trunk mats, trunk net, wheel locks, etc.
Ok, options not accessories....I see. I would think that options would increase the resale value of your car. No way a car with choice E and a lesser car without choice E go for the same price, both cars being more of less similar in all other factors.
Old 05-20-06, 01:45 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Options will increase the resale value of your car, but, nothing near what you paid for it. Just go to edmunds or kbb and if you want to value a used car it will list trade-in and resale values for options. These include such things as spoilers, prem. wheels, power seats, etc. When you try to trade, the salesman will probably tell you he can't get any more for it, but, he's just trying to screw you. They will definitely mark up for these "extras". If I wasn't going to keep the car long, I would probably minimize alot of the bells and whistles, but if you're going to keep it for quite a few years, load it up! IMHO, of course.