IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

CD changer what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 05:54 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CD changer what?

Well, cd changer has stopped working, nothing works, not the eject, not the load....says no CD, everything else works just fine. This is the second time it happened, last time it corrected itself or whatever.....hope this isnt going to be a repeat of the 1st gen IS.....not very happy.
Old 05-20-06, 10:57 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusSC430
Well, cd changer has stopped working, nothing works, not the eject, not the load....says no CD, everything else works just fine. This is the second time it happened, last time it corrected itself or whatever.....hope this isnt going to be a repeat of the 1st gen IS.....not very happy.
Did you have any burned CD's in there?
The dealer told me that is a common problem, I guess burned CD's are a little thicker than regular CD's and they can get jammed in the changer.
Old 05-20-06, 11:22 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Payam
Did you have any burned CD's in there?
The dealer told me that is a common problem, I guess burned CD's are a little thicker than regular CD's and they can get jammed in the changer.
Humm if that was the case where do we go buy MP3 CDs and WMA CDs? that are NOT home made?
Old 05-20-06, 11:34 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Humm if that was the case where do we go buy MP3 CDs and WMA CDs? that are NOT home made?
Tell me about it..... That sounded wierd to me too but that't actually what 3 different Lexus techs told me. I don't care, the car says it can play those so I'm going to keep making them and playing them. If it breaks, I'm going to make them fix it. At least for 4 years.
Old 05-20-06, 11:40 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Payam
I don't care, the car says it can play those so I'm going to keep making them and playing them. If it breaks, I'm going to make them fix it. At least for 4 years.

Exactlly! As long as they dont try to pull that on me and go you broke it by inserting a burned CD in there...
Old 05-20-06, 11:59 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think it would have a problem with Burned CDs... unless you put a label on the CD.
Old 05-21-06, 05:36 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
I dont think it would have a problem with Burned CDs... unless you put a label on the CD.
I dare someone to measure a "retail" cd against a "home made" CD (minus the ThickLabel) and tell me they are not the same size please , just a fun challange :P
Old 05-21-06, 07:22 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

That is such BS, I hate excuses. Listen, maybe its a fluke, maybe it was a defect. Sometimes I just wanna hear, "Bro, you got screwed the CD player you got was a POS." I appreciate that so much more. Its not a big deal at all, I just like when responsibility is accepted. Ive been using burned CDs for about 8-9 years now, when the used to be $1 or so a CD, never had a prob that had to do with the CDs. Oh well, I will get it checked out, like I said its prob nothing, and a minor inconvience.
Old 05-21-06, 07:48 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by t0e
I dare someone to measure a "retail" cd against a "home made" CD (minus the ThickLabel) and tell me they are not the same size please , just a fun challange :P
Okay. Using my digital caliper, I grabbed 3 CD's at random.

CD-R (with no label) = 1.18mm
CD-R (with label) = 1.36
Commercial CD = 1.26

So, the commercial CD is .08mm THICKER than an unlabeled CD-R. And the CD-R with glossy adhesive label is .10mm thicker than the commercial CD.

I'm sure these dimensions vary from mfr. to mfr., so your mileage may vary.

But I've used my burned - and labeled - CD-R's in 5 different cars so far without a single failure. I personally feel CD-R's are just a convenient excuse for CD player failures ...
Old 05-21-06, 07:52 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Okay. Using my digital caliper, I grabbed 3 CD's at random.

CD-R (with no label) = 1.18mm
CD-R (with label) = 1.36
Commercial CD = 1.26

So, the commercial CD is .08mm THICKER than an unlabeled CD-R. And the CD-R with glossy adhesive label is .10mm thicker than the commercial CD.

I'm sure these dimensions vary from mfr. to mfr., so your mileage may vary.

But I've used my burned - and labeled - CD-R's in 5 different cars so far without a single failure. I personally feel CD-R's are just a convenient excuse for CD player failures ...
Thanks Mike, that's pretty interesting. This whole thing sounded wierd to me, but they said they have gotten a lot of CD changers with the CD's stuck in there and when they took them apart, it was burned CD's. At least now we know, it was just a coincidence that they were burned CD's.
Old 05-21-06, 08:50 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Our experience has confirmed that burned CD's...

will stick sometimes in the slot type CD changers. Usually the label is the culprit. I was delivering a new LS430 and I watched the owner load her own CD into the slot and it jammed immediately. Luckily one of our experienced service consultants was able to gently coax it out, label and all. It was a problem on the Fujitsu Ten changers in the IS300. The 2nd Gen uses a Pioneer CD/DVD player but I would be leery of any label embossed burned CD's/DVD's. I use a Sharpie to identify my CD's. Sometimes burned CD's will skip too. The MP3 type will give artist information which is a bonus. I haven't tried the Windows Media File (WMA) type. I've used the IPOD plug and that is OK but no ability to control the tracks or give information unless you try the Vaitech adapter which we use now at the dealership for the GS which doesn't offer an IPOD port. The adapter will allow serial playback but not search for tracks. I hope in the future that these issues will be resolved as more experience and feedback is given to the Lexus guys in the white labcoats over in Tahara.....

Rock
Old 05-21-06, 10:29 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you buy a spindle of 100 poor quality cds for cheap, you can be sure some of those are bad.
Old 05-21-06, 11:58 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Ya I've been using burned CD-Rs for a long time since they first came out I think. when it was $24.99 AFTER mail in rebate for 20 CD-Rs. That was expensive. And used it in 5 cars now and never had a problem... *knock on wood for the 2IS*
Old 05-21-06, 05:01 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Well, it is now mysteriously working again. This is the second time, I will have it checked out though. They will prob blame it on solar flares, or humidity or something good. Opps, guess I cant write wtf.....i meant what the fudge anyways lol
Old 05-21-06, 05:54 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

I get an occasional skip too but I haven't verified whether the disk or the source music is to blame. We are fairly lucky where CD's go.

I do a lot of video editing and burning of DVDs and there are tons of issues for compatibility there. Mostly because there are DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD RAM, DVD DL+R disks, along with RW variants and of course stamped commercial ones. Not all players can read all of them and if you encode to too high of a bit rate, the chip in the player can decode it. Sometimes they play the first time but not the second time when the player gets hot. Sometimes they can't read the edges. Sometimes they can't read certain brands. So count your blessings but the player still shouldn't be locking up completely. I've seen that on DVD's too when they won't read the player seizes and cycling the power allows you to eject.

In short for CD's I think the best ones are the Memorex Black disks.

Quick Reply: CD changer what?