Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Percentage of Gross Monthly Income spent on Car Payment

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 06:05 PM
Jdmekcivic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Afterall, this is the internet, people don't lie.
I do drive an IS350 and I do make good money. Keep in mind I have another truck and a $900k house payment. I drive an IS because I love the car for the money it costs. Alot of bang for my buck!!
Old 05-21-06, 06:48 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jdmekcivic
I do drive an IS350 and I do make good money. Keep in mind I have another truck and a $900k house payment. I drive an IS because I love the car for the money it costs. Alot of bang for my buck!!
But a truck... a truck... that probably costs less then the IS so its really pennies in your income range. and for whatever its worth... your $900K house at what, at LEAST half a million income a year... and thats with "$300 montly payment" from the prelimiary calculations... so that house should be paied off very fast too.

I know I'll get flamed for this one. but... your handle calls for a Civic. mainly JDM... which is what? a Japanese Civic? Making it sound like you had a civic before.
Old 05-21-06, 06:53 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I dont mean to intrude in personal business but some of these numbers dont make sense for people driving a IS. I mean if it does then **** I'm waaaaaay over my head. and Screwed.

2% of your gross montly income goes into your car payment and you want it paied off at the end of the year so meaning you're paying MORE than you normally would just to pay it off?

So just using $500 a month as a base payment that means you make $25,000 a month? If I made that kind of money I would NOT be driving just a IS.

This ones worse... not even 1% of his/her's monthly income goes to his car... lets say since its on a 5 year term hes paying $300 a month for the car that means his monthly income is $40,000 I would NOT be driving a cheap Lexus... maybe a 997tt
You have to keep in mind, some people have huge bucks because they don't "waste" it on things like cars which are depreciating assets. They let their money make more money. There's a neat book called The Millionare Next Door, or something pretty close to that which basically says that it is very likely that the richest guy in your neighborhood is probably the guy with a modest house driving a 5 year old Buick (not verbatim, but you get the point).
Old 05-21-06, 07:00 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i spend about 150 dollars a month for my gas thats about it =P
Old 05-21-06, 07:04 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by casey225
You have to keep in mind, some people have huge bucks because they don't "waste" it on things like cars which are depreciating assets. They let their money make more money. There's a neat book called The Millionare Next Door, or something pretty close to that which basically says that it is very likely that the richest guy in your neighborhood is probably the guy with a modest house driving a 5 year old Buick (not verbatim, but you get the point).
Oh I know... I wish I can do that and just drive a 5 year old Buick and be happy... Dang I wish I can do that... But since I dont I'm just curious to see why and why people chose to do what they do... so more money making more money and not spending it and just making more money... and living in the most modest house and driving the most modest car... so wheres all the money going?

Oh and I figured people with that much big bucks would be on the net researching stocks to buy to make more money instad of posting on a messageboard.
Old 05-21-06, 07:16 PM
Jdmekcivic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
But a truck... a truck... that probably costs less then the IS so its really pennies in your income range. and for whatever its worth... your $900K house at what, at LEAST half a million income a year... and thats with "$300 montly payment" from the prelimiary calculations... so that house should be paied off very fast too.

I know I'll get flamed for this one. but... your handle calls for a Civic. mainly JDM... which is what? a Japanese Civic? Making it sound like you had a civic before.

Casey225 hit the nail on the head. I am making my money work for me. I can handle a much bigger payment but why waste it on a car that I don't need. I just turned 27 and I would rather have money in the bank then pay a huge payment for a Supercar. I am so happy that I even own a Lexus. I was raised very poor and I am very proud to own a home and have a beautiful car in the garage.

I own a truck because I race mountain bikes and motorcross. I can't tow my toys with the Lex....

As for my name. I used to have a Civic race car that I started building when I was 19. The car was on the cover of Turbo magazine and was one of the fastest FWD cars of that time. We were running high 9's in practice but only ran 10's in competition. I was producing 600whp on a 1.8L motor. The car became way to expensive to maintain and keep running so I had to sell it. I miss the car and I put a lot of blood,sweat and tears into it so I use the screen name to keep it in my memory....
Old 05-21-06, 07:19 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Cool. Sorry didnt mean to intrude... was just curious.
Old 05-21-06, 07:20 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Afterall, this is the internet, people don't lie.
Why is 25k a month soooo unbelievable?? I own 5 restaurants and take home an average of 15 - 20k / month. Upwards of 30k during the good months. Heck I only drive a 250!!!

I think the IS is plenty of luxury for me and at 40k it has everything most expensive cars have plus more (technology wise). Eventually though I do plan on getting a Ferrari!!!! Can't imagine how much my insurance would be though, maybe I'll wait 5 years to reach 30 and be married.
Old 05-21-06, 07:30 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hashs99
Why is 25k a month soooo unbelievable?? I own 5 restaurants and take home an average of 15 - 20k / month. Upwards of 30k during the good months. Heck I only drive a 250!!!

I think the IS is plenty of luxury for me and at 40k it has everything most expensive cars have plus more (technology wise). Eventually though I do plan on getting a Ferrari!!!! Can't imagine how much my insurance would be though, maybe I'll wait 5 years to reach 30 and be married.
Must be nice.... I wish I made that much.
Old 05-21-06, 07:44 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep 25k a month is not too terribly high but not likely someone is on salary (not bonus) making that amount and driving an IS as their only car. Not very likely at all.
Old 05-21-06, 07:44 PM
Scooter24
Rookie

Originally Posted by casey225

Great point

BTW - The Millionare Next Door is a great read - would recommend it to anyone just starting work after they graduated from school. Save young, save lots and invest wise.
Old 05-21-06, 07:54 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
Yep 25k a month is not too terribly high but not likely someone is on salary (not bonus) making that amount and driving an IS as their only car. Not very likely at all.
I don't understand your reasoning. I make a lot (for me), however, I am continually reinvesting. I'd rather purchase something that will make me more money than lose money for me. I know plenty of people that make 2 or even 3 times as much as me and drive Dodge Caravans around (my dad, haha).

Can you believe it??? The guy owns a chain of motels and could care less about his cars! This is unlikely though huh?
Old 05-21-06, 08:30 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I don't understand your reasoning. I make a lot (for me), however, I am continually reinvesting. I'd rather purchase something that will make me more money than lose money for me. I know plenty of people that make 2 or even 3 times as much as me and drive Dodge Caravans around (my dad, haha).

Can you believe it??? The guy owns a chain of motels and could care less about his cars! This is unlikely though huh?
I think Ken's reasoning is something like this:

If you are reading and posting on a car enthusiast website, cars are probably a priority for you. It's fine to come on here and say, oh I don't care about cars that much, I don't want to spend money on them. But, it doesn't make that much sense... If that is the case then what are you doing here?

If you *are* a car enthusiast and you are seriously raking in around $400k, most people would expect you to drive a higher-end car than the 2IS. It's great if this is the car you sincerely want, but there are plenty of cars out there with more of everything that the IS has: bigger engines, more luxury, more prestige, etc.

Lastly, given the fact that people lie on discussion boards all the time, it's understandable for people to be a little skeptical. I'm not saying you're not telling the truth. It's just an unlikely situation. Unlikely, but not impossible.
Old 05-21-06, 09:22 PM
hashs99
Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
I think Ken's reasoning is something like this:

If you are reading and posting on a car enthusiast website, cars are probably a priority for you. It's fine to come on here and say, oh I don't care about cars that much, I don't want to spend money on them. But, it doesn't make that much sense... If that is the case then what are you doing here?

If you *are* a car enthusiast and you are seriously raking in around $400k, most people would expect you to drive a higher-end car than the 2IS. It's great if this is the car you sincerely want, but there are plenty of cars out there with more of everything that the IS has: bigger engines, more luxury, more prestige, etc.

Lastly, given the fact that people lie on discussion boards all the time, it's understandable for people to be a little skeptical. I'm not saying you're not telling the truth. It's just an unlikely situation. Unlikely, but not impossible.
I now see what Ken is trying to say. I guess I am an enthusiast, just working my way up the car chain. To each his own I guess, I must confess though, I did check out a E 55 AMG this past friday and have a test drive set up for Tuesday.

Don't think I'm going to buy one, especially not for $90500, didn't even know why I stopped to look at them. Maybe the IS isn't truly everything that I want. I think it'll get me through a couple of years though
Old 05-21-06, 09:38 PM
LexFather

Clublexus members, unlike most other sites, traditionally stay away from these kind of threads. Besides it being very personal, it always seems everyone is doing great and no one made an impulse buy or made a questionable decison, based on emotion, where the IS could be 90% of the person's income, if they are happy, they are happy.

I will move this to our poll section soon
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Percentage of Gross Monthly Income spent on Car Payment