3.35%
Voters: 747. You may not vote on this poll

Percentage of Gross Monthly Income spent on Car Payment

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-06, 09:51 PM
slowandlow
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i make 3k a month and am saveing up to buy a is 350 i have 6 in the bank and wish to have the rest buy october for my car.
Old 05-22-06, 10:21 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I still live at home with an engineering salary, so my % can be higher 50-60% at least
Old 05-22-06, 10:24 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Cool Well...

I'm fortunate to have traded in a fully paid for GX 470 for my IS , and own clear title. I also am in the > $25m/month income range, but chose it (250 AWD) because I wanted the increased mileage, new styling and to stay with Lexus reliablity. It's called living below your means. Practical but not overly flashly.

2% of your gross montly income goes into your car payment and you want it paied off at the end of the year so meaning you're paying MORE than you normally would just to pay it off?

So just using $500 a month as a base payment that means you make $25,000 a month? If I made that kind of money I would NOT be driving just a IS.

This ones worse... not even 1% of his/her's monthly income goes to his car... lets say since its on a 5 year term hes paying $300 a month for the car that means his monthly income is $40,000 I would NOT be driving a cheap Lexus... maybe a 997tt[/QUOTE]
Old 05-22-06, 12:02 PM
sailing217
Pole Position

I guess that I've had enough stressfull times where lack of money was a terrible point. So if I can avoid it by living way below my means, then that's a priority for me. I think I'm a true car enthusiast to the point that I could buy a 911tt or Lambo, but could not do it justice only driving on the weekend sunny days and only getting to the track once or twice a year. If you've had a rare car wasting away in your garage, then what I believe a real enthusiast would do is sell the car to someone that will use it the way it was meant to be. I don't understand trailer queens at the car shows. It's not that I can't afford more, it's that the IS is something I'll drive the wheels off whether it's highway or in the turns. It's an all around great car for the money. If I never had to drive on the highway, I'd have an M3 cause I need a backseat. If I didn't need a backseat, lived where it was sunny and had a short commute and time to track, no way would I buy a lexus.

One also has to think that a Camry and a Pontiac G6 when loaded goes over 30 grand. IMO the IS is the best bang for the buck. Just don't tell everyone.
Old 05-22-06, 01:34 PM
Bengalfang
Driver

I think everyone on here makes more than I do..................

Some people make what I do on a yearly basis in a month!
Old 05-22-06, 03:33 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who was the person who said that his/her car payment was 80-90% of their income?
First, was it a joke?
Second, If not, why?
Old 05-22-06, 03:35 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sailing217
I guess that I've had enough stressfull times where lack of money was a terrible point. So if I can avoid it by living way below my means, then that's a priority for me. I think I'm a true car enthusiast to the point that I could buy a 911tt or Lambo, but could not do it justice only driving on the weekend sunny days and only getting to the track once or twice a year. If you've had a rare car wasting away in your garage, then what I believe a real enthusiast would do is sell the car to someone that will use it the way it was meant to be. I don't understand trailer queens at the car shows. It's not that I can't afford more, it's that the IS is something I'll drive the wheels off whether it's highway or in the turns. It's an all around great car for the money. If I never had to drive on the highway, I'd have an M3 cause I need a backseat. If I didn't need a backseat, lived where it was sunny and had a short commute and time to track, no way would I buy a lexus.

One also has to think that a Camry and a Pontiac G6 when loaded goes over 30 grand. IMO the IS is the best bang for the buck. Just don't tell everyone.
same, if i didn't need a backseat, i would prob. go for a SL or corvette or a porsche...
Old 05-22-06, 05:36 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Clublexus members, unlike most other sites, traditionally stay away from these kind of threads. Besides it being very personal, it always seems everyone is doing great and no one made an impulse buy or made a questionable decison, based on emotion, where the IS could be 90% of the person's income, if they are happy, they are happy.

I will move this to our poll section soon
Well I'm being honest, I am doing well! But its more debt then I am comfy with at the moment.... because I dont like consumer debt.

It was a semi-impulse buy, but also a good choice because this car had so many more features then a Honda and/or a Pontiac for not that much more money. I woulda been plunging myself into debt anyway, so might as well do it for a car i absolutely treasure. And you know what, no one has to know that I paid LESS then a fully loaded Pontiac Grand Prix....

im in the 10% category btw.
Old 05-22-06, 06:22 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Clublexus members, unlike most other sites, traditionally stay away from these kind of threads. Besides it being very personal, it always seems everyone is doing great and no one made an impulse buy or made a questionable decison, based on emotion, where the IS could be 90% of the person's income, if they are happy, they are happy.
1SICKLEX couldn't be any closer to the truth. I've seen these sort of threads degrade extremely quickly at other sites other than CL. This is a good example about the quality of CL and 2IS members. A lot of good points were made. But keep in mind however that CL is not FDIC Insured.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 05-22-06, 07:56 PM
tgara
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I still live at home with an engineering salary
HAHA!!!! Dude, unless you're in high school, that's nothing to brag about.

Mine is quite low (<3%) because my gross monthly income is high. If you factor taxes out, the percentage goes up of course. Then again, I pay more in taxes per year than many of you make as a total annual salary. But don't get me started on that.... it won't be pretty.
Old 05-22-06, 11:35 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I dont mean to intrude in personal business but some of these numbers dont make sense for people driving a IS. I mean if it does then **** I'm waaaaaay over my head. and Screwed.

2% of your gross montly income goes into your car payment and you want it paied off at the end of the year so meaning you're paying MORE than you normally would just to pay it off?

So just using $500 a month as a base payment that means you make $25,000 a month? If I made that kind of money I would NOT be driving just a IS.

This ones worse... not even 1% of his/her's monthly income goes to his car... lets say since its on a 5 year term hes paying $300 a month for the car that means his monthly income is $40,000 I would NOT be driving a cheap Lexus... maybe a 997tt
Well, if the world's second richest man drives a 40k car, I dont think there is anything wrong with somebody who's worth much less to be driving a car around the same price range. If I had a lot more money I think I still would have bought an IS 350 (unless IS 500 was out), although I would have modded it way more than I currently can afford. -- Although I do get your point -- I find it hard to believe when somebody on the net claims to be filthy rich.

BTW the photo is Warren Burffet in his Lincoln Towncar (from School Trip)
Attached Thumbnails Percentage of Gross Monthly Income spent on Car Payment-1.jpg  

Last edited by NINEZeRO; 05-22-06 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-22-06, 11:55 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
between my lexus lease and new mercedes truck i have ordered i'll be paying about 4%-5% on car payments
wow, aren' t you like 23 (i thought I saw you state your age on some other thread)? So you must make 150K +/- 25K?
Old 05-23-06, 05:13 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
Well, if the world's second richest man drives a 40k car....

BTW the photo is Warren Burffet in his Lincoln Towncar (from School Trip)
Certainly not his only car. Probably one a dozen.
Old 05-23-06, 05:51 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
wow, aren' t you like 23 (i thought I saw you state your age on some other thread)? So you must make 150K +/- 25K?
my boyfriend and i are doing very well right now i'm 24 and he is 26
Old 05-23-06, 06:48 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

When I went to pick up my car, the salesman said he had had an older guy in last week who had filled in $250k as his monthly gross salary. I wonder what Lexus he was buying... Anyway, he owns all of you.

(Then the salesman asked me if I had meant to put an extra zero after my monthly income. I was like, jeez man, if that were true, I wouldn't be leasing the second-cheapest Lexus, that's for sure...)

Quick Reply: Percentage of Gross Monthly Income spent on Car Payment