IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What information do you leave the screen on?
Blank
0.68%
Outside temp
43.54%
Avg speed
0.68%
Avg MPG
4.42%
Tank Avg MPG
12.59%
Current MPG
7.14%
Tank Range
7.14%
Gear Position
23.81%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

What do you leave the multi info display screen on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 08:18 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll keep mine on outside temp unless I'm driving in manual mode, then I'll switch to gear position. I'll check on mpg and distance left in tank once in a while just to see where I'm at.
Old 05-22-06, 08:30 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Gear Position.
It helps me to know what gear I'm in just in case I decide to use paddle shift and I know if I need to shift or not. Sometimes I switch to MPG avg and tank avg just to see how my gas mileage is.
Old 05-22-06, 10:52 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Gear all the time. Came from a manual car I like to know what gear the car is in.
Old 05-23-06, 04:47 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Gear all the time. Came from a manual car I like to know what gear the car is in.
Ditto. My car stays in S mode with ECT PWR on... I'm basically doing the shifting most of the time, so it stays in gear display mode unless I'm really trying to conserve fuel, in which case I like to watch tank avg.
Old 05-23-06, 07:46 AM
acl15
Lead Lap

I rarely look at outside temp because I think it's really off. I remember this one day it read 85 when the high that day in the entire Bay Area was only 74. This kind of thing happens often so I dont even bother to look at it anymore.
Old 05-23-06, 08:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acl15
I rarely look at outside temp because I think it's really off. I remember this one day it read 85 when the high that day in the entire Bay Area was only 74. This kind of thing happens often so I dont even bother to look at it anymore.
I think it takes time for the temp gauge to adjust properly. I think the sensor is on the front windshield, so if you left a car baking under the sun, it will read the outside temp incorrectly. Only when you turn on the car and start driving will it be able to tell the wind/air temp. Otherwise, it will take into account the temp of the cabin or glass itself...
Old 05-23-06, 09:52 AM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tmirk
Current MPG bar.

Although I really really wish there was a current MPH on that display.
So what is the use of the MPH needle stick?
Old 05-23-06, 10:24 AM
Nicelex13
Pole Position

i cant get these options??? Mine only tells me miles left till empty and if i toggle through the options, it only says tire pressure...????
Old 05-23-06, 10:51 AM
Tmirk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by paeko73
So what is the use of the MPH needle stick?
It'd just be much quicker to see an analog number there. As great as the speedo lighting is and how nice the even numbers are, the ticks between the big numbers are small, even for the odd "10s" and smaller "5s". So you really can't glance at it and know how fast you're going, you gotta really look.

And when you drive on LA freeways, it's not a bad idea to know instantly how fast you are going when that CHP jumps in your rear view mirror.
Old 05-23-06, 12:37 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
i cant get these options??? Mine only tells me miles left till empty and if i toggle through the options, it only says tire pressure...????
you are pressing the wrong button. please read your manual. you will find some cool things.
Old 05-23-06, 12:55 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Mine is on outside temp, until I fall under 1/4 tank of gas...then I switch over to tank range.
I pretty much do that too. Sounds like they should make an option to have it automatically switch to miles left when you have less than a certain amount of gas in the tank!

I test drove one car (Audi S4 maybe?) where the salesman said you could have it automatically display gas stations when your remaining miles is < 100, 50, whatever. Cool idea.

For the person pressing the wrong button - you have to press the DISP button - it is on the right side of the steering wheel next to the voice command button. That will cycle through all of the displays.

I also wish you could have it display your speed digitally. Sometimes I feel like it is hard to get a very accurate readout from the spedometer, since the numbers are so close together. I guess that's what happens when your spedometer goes up to 160.
Old 05-23-06, 05:34 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think it takes time for the temp gauge to adjust properly. I think the sensor is on the front windshield, so if you left a car baking under the sun, it will read the outside temp incorrectly. Only when you turn on the car and start driving will it be able to tell the wind/air temp. Otherwise, it will take into account the temp of the cabin or glass itself...

Why the heck would they put it there? They shuold put it somewhere hiddin in the bumper where its not exposed to any other souces of heat.

And a temp prob should not read wind temp. Wind chill is only for humans or living creatures... that can feel the difference. a temerature guage doesnt care what the wind chill is.
Old 05-23-06, 06:21 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I keep mind on outside temp to gauge if I have my AC on needlessly, and when it does get warmer out I tend to take it very easy on the car.
Old 05-23-06, 07:48 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nicelex13
You need to press the "Disp" button on the right side of the steering wheel.
Old 05-24-06, 01:21 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can people tell me why they have the LCD set to the outside temp? i just dont understand how knowing the outside temperature is useful information...i have mine set on the current gear almost all the time. when im running out of gas i set it to miles left in range.

Quick Reply: What do you leave the multi info display screen on?