IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What information do you leave the screen on?
Blank
0.68%
Outside temp
43.54%
Avg speed
0.68%
Avg MPG
4.42%
Tank Avg MPG
12.59%
Current MPG
7.14%
Tank Range
7.14%
Gear Position
23.81%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

What do you leave the multi info display screen on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 05:38 AM
monkeyfarm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gshb
can people tell me why they have the LCD set to the outside temp? i just dont understand how knowing the outside temperature is useful information...i have mine set on the current gear almost all the time. when im running out of gas i set it to miles left in range.
I haven't got a clue either, but try telling that to my wife. She LOVES that outside temp display.
Old 05-24-06, 07:00 AM
mikewpu04
Driver

Honestly I wish there was a feature like some other cars to let you set it to rotate every like 5 or so seconds to the next screen. Gear position isnt useful when ur going down the highway for 60 miles... your not going down from 6th gear all too much. The outside temp I also find useless, but others love it.
Old 05-24-06, 07:08 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Well, when you live in Florida where it's always hot, I like to know how hot it is exactly. Just so I can be like damn it's a hot day!!
Old 05-24-06, 07:41 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
Sometimes I feel like it is hard to get a very accurate readout from the spedometer, since the numbers are so close together. I guess that's what happens when your spedometer goes up to 160.
It's always hard to get an accurate reading from the speedometer, because the speedometer isn't accurate. Mine reads about 3-4 MPH fast even at 40 MPH. In another thread where I mentioned this, other people indicated that their cars read high too. If your local police use these , check for yourself.

The ideal place for a digital speed readout would be the navi. The GPS would allow computation of an extremely accurate speed reading, unaffected by things like wheel and tire size.
Old 05-24-06, 08:00 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

can people tell me why they have the LCD set to the outside temp? i just dont understand how knowing the outside temperature is useful information...i have mine set on the current gear almost all the time. when im running out of gas i set it to miles left in range.
It's very useful information when you are on the bluetooth phone bragging to the people you are talking to up north
Old 05-24-06, 08:15 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I would have liked to have a digital speedo in there.
Old 05-24-06, 09:58 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
It's always hard to get an accurate reading from the speedometer, because the speedometer isn't accurate. Mine reads about 3-4 MPH fast even at 40 MPH.
So you're saying that when you think you're going 40, you're actually going more like 36-37? That is interesting...

The ideal place for a digital speed readout would be the navi. The GPS would allow computation of an extremely accurate speed reading, unaffected by things like wheel and tire size.
Could the GPS really be used to track speed information that reliably? Wouldn't it be like the nav map, updating say once a second or so? You wouldn't get the smooth needle movements like you do for a spedo linked to the tires. In any case, it seems like it would be harder to get a reliable speed reading from a satellite than from the car's own rotating tires/axles.
Old 05-24-06, 10:06 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine set mostly to miles left in tank because I'm horrible at filling up when I'm low on gas. I have driven my car til there was 1 mile left before but I know that's just to scare me because there's usually a reserve of at least 2 gallons left.

Anyway, I have a question about the outside temp display. Is it just me or is the thing not accurate? Like it'll say outside temp is 77 degrees when it actually feels more like 85. Is the computer accurate or my own estimation of what it feels like is wrong?
Old 05-24-06, 10:09 AM
PinoyBruin
Driver

I leave mine on the gears but i sometimes check my mpg.
Old 05-24-06, 10:15 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

So you're saying that when you think you're going 40, you're actually going more like 36-37? That is interesting...
Exactly. Which is probably good for my license, but I'd prefer it be on the money.

Could the GPS really be used to track speed information that reliably? Wouldn't it be like the nav map, updating say once a second or so? You wouldn't get the smooth needle movements like you do for a spedo linked to the tires. In any case, it seems like it would be harder to get a reliable speed reading from a satellite than from the car's own rotating tires/axles.
You are correct - the GPS display would update less frequently, but be more accurate. That's why I'd drive the speedo needle from the wheels/axles, but offer a separate digital speed readout from the navi.
Old 05-24-06, 10:35 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

You are correct - the GPS display would update less frequently, but be more accurate. That's why I'd drive the speedo needle from the wheels/axles, but offer a separate digital speed readout from the navi.
It would be more accurate as an average speed, but as an instantaneous speed, its slow refresh time would limit its value. Instantaneous speed is more useful to most drivers.

As for all the "termperature gauge" haters... Temperature may be pretty useless, but so is most everything else on that display, except maybe tank range, which is still pretty approximate, and only really useful when your tank is low. Instantaneous MPG display? I'm sure that's not accurate. Gear display? Only really useful if you're paddle shifting. Most automatic cars don't display it at all. Thus, out of all the fairly useless information, I find temperature to be the least useless.
Old 05-24-06, 10:55 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

As for all the "termperature gauge" haters... Temperature may be pretty useless, but so is most everything else on that display, except maybe tank range, which is still pretty approximate, and only really useful when your tank is low. Instantaneous MPG display? I'm sure that's not accurate. Gear display? Only really useful if you're paddle shifting. Most automatic cars don't display it at all. Thus, out of all the fairly useless information, I find temperature to be the least useless.
Nicely said.
Old 05-24-06, 02:16 PM
monkeyfarm
Driver

This is hardly something specific to the IS. Just about every speedo produced is optimistic by about 3-5% (i.e. the error increases the faster you go).
Old 05-24-06, 06:03 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Yeah... Cuz knowing what gear you're in while in auto mode is quite usefull right?
Old 05-24-06, 07:24 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well yes, that way instead of fiddling with the DISP button when you put the car in S mode you can just get it and go...

Quick Reply: What do you leave the multi info display screen on?