IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What information do you leave the screen on?
Blank
0.68%
Outside temp
43.54%
Avg speed
0.68%
Avg MPG
4.42%
Tank Avg MPG
12.59%
Current MPG
7.14%
Tank Range
7.14%
Gear Position
23.81%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

What do you leave the multi info display screen on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-06, 12:05 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about your IS, but when I put mine in S mode, it automatically switches the display to the gear position. No fiddling with buttons is necessary.
Old 05-25-06, 06:39 AM
mikewpu04
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
I don't know about your IS, but when I put mine in S mode, it automatically switches the display to the gear position. No fiddling with buttons is necessary.
Mine doesn't do that at all. I usually make sure I'm in gear position first. I can't use S mode without it. I guess ur car is cooler then mine
Old 05-25-06, 07:06 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

My mistake, I was thinking of the gear SELECTER display, not the gear POSITION display.

I can see how gear position would be helpful in S mode, I never really thought of it much though, I generally do my manual shifting based on RPM.
Old 05-25-06, 10:15 AM
mikewpu04
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
My mistake, I was thinking of the gear SELECTER display, not the gear POSITION display.

I can see how gear position would be helpful in S mode, I never really thought of it much though, I generally do my manual shifting based on RPM.
I use gear position for the simple fact that even when in S, the car does sometimes downshift on you even though your gear window says something diffrent. Annoys me but hey, it is an automatic
Old 05-25-06, 10:40 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mikewpu04
I use gear position for the simple fact that even when in S, the car does sometimes downshift on you even though your gear window says something diffrent. Annoys me but hey, it is an automatic

I've noticed that even when its in gear position it says 6th. I can see / feel the car like downshift for a brief moment and i can see the rev needle go up but the gear selection stays in 6th. Anyone else notice that?
Old 05-25-06, 10:47 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
I've noticed that even when its in gear position it says 6th. I can see / feel the car like downshift for a brief moment and i can see the rev needle go up but the gear selection stays in 6th. Anyone else notice that?
That is probably the torque converter locking/unlocking

Last edited by Ramon; 05-25-06 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 10:53 AM
danis
Rookie

Default Gear

Originally Posted by mikewpu04
Mine doesn't do that at all. I usually make sure I'm in gear position first. I can't use S mode without it. I guess ur car is cooler then mine
When in S mode a numeric gear display, apart from the multi-display, appears and gives the gear position. Now I admit that the numeric display gear position, which I assume is the correct gear, does not always agree with the multi-display gear position.
Old 05-25-06, 10:59 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by danis
When in S mode a numeric gear display, apart from the multi-display, appears and gives the gear position. Now I admit that the numeric display gear position, which I assume is the correct gear, does not always agree with the multi-display gear position.
I think I might know what the confusion is with the gear display automatically coming up or not. There are two gear displays, which provide slightly different information:

The display that comes up automatically, which the small numeric display located between the spedo and tach, shows the gear setting that you have selected with the paddles or the shift ****. This only comes up when "S" or "auto-manual" mode is selected.

The display that you can select from the multi-info LCD shows the gear that is actually engaged.

The difference is that when you "manually" select a gear, you are selecting the highest gear you want the transmission to use. For example, when you select "3", the tranny will choose either gear 1, 2, or 3. It will automatically downshift when you stop at a red light, for example. The display that shows the selected gear displays automatically. The display that shows the actual gear engaged must be seleced with the DISP button on the steering wheel.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by diablo1; 05-25-06 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-25-06, 11:11 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by danis
Ya… that’s cuz the numeric display only shows the highest gear that the car is allowed to shift up to. It doesn’t show what gear the car is actually in.

What I would have prefered was that the highest gear selection automatically updates and follows the actual gear the car is in AND also drops the "highest gear the car is allowed to go into" down. Basically downshifts and stays there… wont upshift again till you command it to.
Old 05-25-06, 11:34 AM
danis
Rookie

Thanks for the information. I don't use sport mode very often but that does clear up my confusion.
Old 05-25-06, 10:52 PM
mikewpu04
Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
I think I might know what the confusion is with the gear display automatically coming up or not. There are two gear displays, which provide slightly different information:

The display that comes up automatically, which the small numeric display located between the spedo and tach, shows the gear setting that you have selected with the paddles or the shift ****. This only comes up when "S" or "auto-manual" mode is selected.

The display that you can select from the multi-info LCD shows the gear that is actually engaged.

The difference is that when you "manually" select a gear, you are selecting the highest gear you want the transmission to use. For example, when you select "3", the tranny will choose either gear 1, 2, or 3. It will automatically downshift when you stop at a red light, for example. The display that shows the selected gear displays automatically. The display that shows the actual gear engaged must be seleced with the DISP button on the steering wheel.

Hope that helps!
I did understand what the diffrent displays did but thank you for clearing up that the IS does indeed use the S mode as the max gear the car will shift up to. I wish it was a true manual when u flicked over (save the clutch lol), but im happy with it still.

And the other annoying thing a little OT...why does it always start in 4th!
Old 05-27-06, 11:09 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
Old 05-27-06, 06:13 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

this is a pointless thread but...gear position...i wish there was a mode for current speed (digital)
Old 05-27-06, 07:58 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I leave it on outside temperature. I don't really feel any of the other readings are all that necessary to be shown 24/7.
Old 06-03-06, 04:41 AM
johnnyboy
Lexus Champion

current mpg, it looks cool

Quick Reply: What do you leave the multi info display screen on?