IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

air conditioning problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 04:34 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air conditioning problems

so today it got pretty hot, nearly 90 lol and i turned on the ac for the first time.

it never got cold, all it would blow is warm air. has anyone else had this problem....maybe the climate control is confusing and i'm missing something but i did everything i could including setting it to LO.

strange thing is the driver's vents were cooler than the passenger's vents which felt like heat even tho i tried LO LO and dual on/off, whatever. in any case, neither never came close to being cold. could this be a problem with the vents and their possible reinstallation issues?

wanted to check her first before i take it in, i'm sure it is minor but no way i can survive next month without air.
Old 05-23-06, 04:48 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It's gotten warm (90+) a couple times so far and I have to say that the A/C is mediocre at best. It's definitely working but it's not very cold at any fan speed.
Old 05-23-06, 04:55 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

What temperature are you setting it to? You separately set your side and the passenger side. Use the up and down arrows to bring it up (hotter) or down (cooler). You've got NAV too, so you can tell "Lexie" warmer or cooler and temps will adjust that way also, plus the climate control screen. There are three options I know of for lowering and raising temperature.
Old 05-23-06, 04:58 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

All you need to do is to push the "auto" button. If the cabin temp is much higher than set point, the air should be directed up to the vents, the air source should change to recirculate, the fan should come on "high", and the compressor should be switched on.

If the air coming from the vents isn't cool in about 10-15 minutes of driving , it's probably time to bring the car to the dealer.

In most cars, the doors that bypass the heater core (air passes over the evaporator at all times) is behind the glovebox, not by the vents, but I'm not that familiar with the Lexus.
Old 05-23-06, 05:33 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is4me2
What temperature are you setting it to? You separately set your side and the passenger side. Use the up and down arrows to bring it up (hotter) or down (cooler). You've got NAV too, so you can tell "Lexie" warmer or cooler and temps will adjust that way also, plus the climate control screen. There are three options I know of for lowering and raising temperature.
i've spent at least 1/2 hour messing with the controls, i've gone from HI to 65 to LO....on both sides. nothing works.
Old 05-23-06, 05:34 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
All you need to do is to push the "auto" button. If the cabin temp is much higher than set point, the air should be directed up to the vents, the air source should change to recirculate, the fan should come on "high", and the compressor should be switched on.

If the air coming from the vents isn't cool in about 10-15 minutes of driving , it's probably time to bring the car to the dealer.

In most cars, the doors that bypass the heater core (air passes over the evaporator at all times) is behind the glovebox, not by the vents, but I'm not that familiar with the Lexus.
yes i used the AUTO button and it didn't make any difference. Usually when the compressor comes on, it's apparent; either you can hear it or feel it. I'm not sure I got a response. I drove for 1/2 hour and still no cold air. Is there a fuse to check?
Old 05-23-06, 05:46 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

So is it blowing air, just not cold air? I think you should take it in. The air conditioning on a previous brand new car I bought didn't work from day one. They ended up having to replace the unit.
Old 05-23-06, 05:52 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

press climate button and on the screen should popup like your lo thru hi settings. i think there is a button for "ac" if im not mistaken. somewhere on the screen. did you try pushing that button? im not near my car or else i would go out and look for myself.
Old 05-23-06, 05:53 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BlitzIS350
press climate button and on the screen should popup like your lo thru hi settings. i think there is a button for "ac" if im not mistaken. somewhere on the screen. did you try pushing that button? im not near my car or else i would go out and look for myself.
yes i tried that ac button on and off. let me go out again and check since it has cooled down a bit....
Old 05-23-06, 05:59 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I do agree that the AC leaves a bit to be desired. Mine definatly gets cold, but it takes several minutes which is pretty bad since its such a small cabin and we've yet to hit 80 degrees here. However if yours isn't getting cold at all with the AC on and temp set to low, there is something wrong.
Old 05-23-06, 06:18 PM
FastGirl
Driver School Candidate

I find the amount of time it takes to cool very dissappointing. By far the worst car I have had in respect to rapid cooling - a big drawback in central Tx.
Old 05-23-06, 06:23 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

The AC in the 2IS isn't the greatest. It has a hard time keeping the cabin cool on 90+ days.

It could be something as simple as the interior temp sensor on yours Ken.
Old 05-23-06, 06:31 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is4me2
So is it blowing air, just not cold air? I think you should take it in. The air conditioning on a previous brand new car I bought didn't work from day one. They ended up having to replace the unit.
so the left vent is blowing cool air and the right vents are blowing warm air. move it to HI, they both blow hot. all the way to LO, never better than just cool...it never gets cold.

toggle the A/C button and it barely makes a different but I do hear the air conditioning motor going on and off. just ran for 30 minutes and back to my garage, not a drop of water or moisture, nothing dripping. Is that unusual?

I believe something is wrong, to fix this or take or look or whatever just know what you know, do you think they will have to remove the Nav unit?
Old 05-23-06, 06:33 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No brilliant repair tips from me. You've done everything I can think of. Yes, the air conditioning system in my IS is weak. Probably one of the weakest I've ever owned but it sounds like yours is definitely broken. NUTS. Just take a deep breath and visit your dealer. GAG.

I had a new Lincoln Mark VIII and right out of the chute it was NG. I was SO ticked off there were no words. But it did get solved and your probelm will too.
Old 05-23-06, 07:41 PM
pliesj
Driver School Candidate

These complaints about the A/C are interesting. Some of you may recall that last summer BOTH Road & Track and Autoweek magazine complained that the IS test mules had inadequate air conditioning.

Seeing as I also live in central Texas (hook 'em), when Car & Driver magazine sponsored that "ask the Lexus IS engineer a question" forum last fall I sent in a question about the A/C complaints from the automotive press. The Lexus engineer did not respond to my question. Then Edmunds sponsored that live chat with the head of US Lexus marketing last October. Again, I asked about the A/C issue. Once again no response.

While the IS350 is currently at the top of my list for a new car, I think I will wait to see how my fellow Texans with IS's fair this summer. Based on this thread it looks as if things are not looking good.

Quick Reply: air conditioning problems