IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Jerking and pulling

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 05:50 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerking and pulling

Got a bad problem. When I am sitting at a light, and just idling, the car seems to jerk forward, and kinda pull. Any ideas what that might be, and does anyone think that it might have something to do with my intake????? Hope not.
Old 05-24-06, 06:01 PM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

OK, this is gonna sound stupid but mine did the same thing for about the first 5 months. Then one day I noticed a strange coincidence when the car wanted to jerk when I was stpped. My big *** size 14 foot was on the gas slightly. Seriously. The engine is so quiet I never noticed until then that I always had car revved to about 1100 at stops by slightly being on the accelerator. The car normally idles around 750.
Old 05-24-06, 06:04 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

I know my foot isn't on the gas. I sit and watch the rpms, and they jump a bit, and my foot isn't anywhere close to the accerator. I hope it isn't an electrical problem, cause the other morning I went out and my windows were a 1/4 of the way down, and then it happened again a few nights after. It stays in my garage, and no one has a key but me. And i always make sure that my car is secured and locked with all windows up before i go to bed at night.
Old 05-24-06, 06:08 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
I know my foot isn't on the gas. I sit and watch the rpms, and they jump a bit, and my foot isn't anywhere close to the accerator. I hope it isn't an electrical problem, cause the other morning I went out and my windows were a 1/4 of the way down, and then it happened again a few nights after. It stays in my garage, and no one has a key but me. And i always make sure that my car is secured and locked with all windows up before i go to bed at night.
Blame drive-by-wire. I have and will always hate it...tuning my A4 was finicky because of it. I'm all for technological advancement but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a trusty cable & pulley between the throttle body and accelerator.
Old 05-24-06, 07:13 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

explain what you mean by drive-by-wire
Old 05-24-06, 07:28 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
explain what you mean by drive-by-wire

drive-by-wire = throttle is controlled electronically, usually by a potentiometer wired to the accelerator pedal which sends an electrical signal to the throttle body, rather than the old tried-and-true method of using what is essentially a cable not unlike a bicycle brake cable to open and close the throttle body. On newer Audis, DBW uses lots of guesswork for throttle input...pressing the accelerator halfway down = wide open throttle body input. Put simply, pressing the pedal halfway down is the same as pressing it 3/4 or even mashing the pedal against the floorboard. It makes it more difficult to modulate how much throttle input you actually want at any given time. At least with the old cable throttle car makers used to put in vehicles you had an infinite amount of throttle input to use, depending on how far you put your right foot down. Most new cars use DBW now and it wouldn't surprise me if the Lexus version uses some of the same stupidity prevalent in Audis and other cars.

Last edited by conekiller; 05-24-06 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-24-06, 07:46 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

What you describe is throttle by wire. Drive by wire would include steering and braking.
Old 05-24-06, 08:04 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

so can this be fixed by the dealership easily???
Old 05-24-06, 08:10 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Yeah, thats what I am wondering. Can they fix this easily, and should I take my fujita intake off and put the stock back on????Please advise
Old 05-24-06, 09:43 PM
jinetix
Pole Position

I seriously doubt your intake has anything to do with it. I'd just take the car to the dealer to have it checked out, but take your intake off so they cant blame your intake.
Old 05-24-06, 09:48 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

yeah i would take it off and get it to the service people . . .
Old 05-24-06, 10:04 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jinetix
I seriously doubt your intake has anything to do with it. I'd just take the car to the dealer to have it checked out, but take your intake off so they cant blame your intake.
That's funny, I'll bet it is the intake. No problem before install, problem after install. Hmmm.
Old 05-24-06, 10:13 PM
Dj Rando
Pole Position

Not really. I put the intake on 3 days after I got the car, and it just recently started doing all of this ****. So I don't think its the intake.???
Old 05-24-06, 10:41 PM
shox
Pole Position

Did you by any chance e-shift the car into first gear at last moment. Cause sometimes I find it jerks when I shift the gear down to first just before the car stops. Then when it stopped it felt like it jerked a little, I dunno.
Old 05-25-06, 12:35 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Might want to check all the vacuum lines around the intake and make sure none of them worked their way loose.

I too find throttle-by-wire a bit cumbersome and unnecessary... Kind like reinventing the wheel.

Quick Reply: Jerking and pulling