IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I just got pulled over for not having a front plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 04:39 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mr rogers
Why not just attach little suction cups to the license plate and stick it on the top right hand corner of the windshield from inside the cabin? I know three people that have had their front plates mounted this way for the past two years, and they have yet to be pulled over. I would perfer this over placing it anywhere on the front bumper.
(1) that looks like crap. (2) it's still ticketable, regulations state where the plate must be located. You're likey to draw more (unwanted) attention with the plate in the window.
Old 05-29-06, 05:25 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
To be honest that looks like a cheap kit car now. Putting the plate there is also going to affect engine cooling.
I think that specific mounting isn't as clean and neat as it could be, but I'd mount it a lot better than he did.

As far as the plate affecting engine cooling... that's not exactly true. It'd probably affect cooling at the most 1%, if that. It's not like it's mounted to the front of the radiator or anything. Oncoming air would move to the sides of the plate, and into the air dam without any problem.
Old 08-29-06, 09:20 AM
phatboyc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Reyngel
Yeah, I was thinking about bending rather than cutting. We'll see. The problem with bending, though, is that you'd totally be able to see the bends behind the plate if you looked at the car from the front 3/4 position. It would look a lot better all flush up against the mesh. But I'll figure it when the time comes.
Hey Reyngel, Did you end up placing your plate in the front grill? If so any pictures?
Old 08-29-06, 10:35 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've only had the car three days, and I've already been pulled over for it.

Putting a plate on the front totally contradicts the point of spending $35k+ on a well-designed car. The rear is different... there is an entire area dedicated to the license plate. But the front's design is not. There's got to be a way I can somehow fit it into the airdam...
Enough! We sound like a bunch of spoiled children. What makes us so special that we can complain about something that has been affixed to the front of cars for at least the last 80 or so years?!! Having a license plate attached to the front bumper doesn't spoil the appearance of a car. For that matter, I have seen countless Porsches, Ferraris, Aston Martins, Bentleys, and other cars that cost far more than our cars do with license plates on their front bumpers. So, get over it! If the law requires that a license plate go onto the front bumper, then find the best looking license plate holder you can and get on with life. Not to sound like a parent, but there are some serious problems and issues occuring in our neighborhoods and cities that need our attention and concern and this is not one of them.

Sorry about the rant. Thanks!
Old 08-29-06, 10:57 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Putting a plate on the front totally contradicts the point of spending $35k+ on a well-designed car. The rear is different... there is an entire area dedicated to the license plate. But the front's design is not. There's got to be a way I can somehow fit it into the airdam...
Hmm, I disagree. The front end of the IS has a nice flat portion on the front fascia which allows for a plate, without blocking air to the radiator/air box.

When your front end is shaped like the cars below, yes I'd say a front plate is a PITA.

http://www.essai-auto.com/Images/2006_mx-5_grand_1.jpg

http://www.pontiac.com/images/galler...front1_med.jpg

http://images.webkrafters.com/trinit...zda21545-A.JPG

On the IS pictured here though:
http://drivewire.us/blog/wp-content/uploads/IS350.jpg

...there are little to no curves, and nothing is blocked or interfered with. If anything, placing the plate in the front grille would have greater (though probably not much) effect if one had to be picky.
Old 08-29-06, 12:31 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I've gotten a few tickets for not displaying a front plate, but I honestly believe it's worked out in my favor. What I mean by that is that I've been pulled over for moving violations, but they just ticket me for the missing front plate and gave me warnings for the moving violations. I believe that they would not have just given me warnings if they couldn't have found something else to ticket me for. It may not make sense, but I think the locality must get a higher percentage of the ticket revenue if it isn't a moving violation.
Old 08-29-06, 04:10 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
I've gotten a few tickets for not displaying a front plate, but I honestly believe it's worked out in my favor.
So how again does getting pulled over for not having a front license plate work out better than simply displaying a front license plate and driving along about your own business not getting pulled over at all?
Old 08-29-06, 04:30 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
So how again does getting pulled over for not having a front license plate work out better than simply displaying a front license plate and driving along about your own business not getting pulled over at all?
Funny that you editted my post to exclude the explanation of that sentence. I did not get pulled over for not having a front plate. I got pulled over for speeding, but got a warning for speeding when they noticed that I didn't have a front plate.
Old 08-29-06, 05:15 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Sol I didn't edit your post, your words are reproduced exactly. You don't have to get all upset, I was just trying to keep this topic light since it is old and someone above got angry.

It really didn't matter what you said exactly I guess I was trying to point out simply having a plate (and I guess I should now add per you "driving the speed limit") really is what works out in your favor....aw nevermind, doesn't make sense now.
Old 08-29-06, 05:27 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Our members need to pay attention to the emoticons - for future reference, the winking smilie face means the poster is being facetious, sarcastic, humorous, etc . . .
Old 09-07-06, 12:28 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Enough! We sound like a bunch of spoiled children. What makes us so special that we can complain about something that has been affixed to the front of cars for at least the last 80 or so years?!! Having a license plate attached to the front bumper doesn't spoil the appearance of a car. For that matter, I have seen countless Porsches, Ferraris, Aston Martins, Bentleys, and other cars that cost far more than our cars do with license plates on their front bumpers. So, get over it! If the law requires that a license plate go onto the front bumper, then find the best looking license plate holder you can and get on with life. Not to sound like a parent, but there are some serious problems and issues occuring in our neighborhoods and cities that need our attention and concern and this is not one of them.

Sorry about the rant. Thanks!
What gives me the right to complain is the $35k I'm spending on the car. My budget isn't that of a millionaire, so $35k is a lot of money to me. For the money, I'd like it to be as beautiful as possible. And my opinion, which is all that matters since it's my car, is that a front plates detracts from the original lines and design of the car. Thus, I simply don't have one installed. And I'm totally cool with it.

Second of all, who said I preferred that we as a society detract from solving the world's hard-fought conflicts for the sake of adjusting the laws of front license plates? Chill out man, it's a thread about front license plates, so that's what we're discussing. If you don't think it's a valid topic, then check out another thread.
Old 09-07-06, 01:46 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Reyngel,

There was someone in this forum (I can't remember who though) that attached their front license plate holder to the front air dam with wire straps, so that they didn't have to drill holes in the bumper. That's another option you might want to consider.
Old 09-07-06, 04:21 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

What gives me the right to complain is the $35k I'm spending on the car. My budget isn't that of a millionaire, so $35k is a lot of money to me. For the money, I'd like it to be as beautiful as possible. And my opinion, which is all that matters since it's my car, is that a front plates detracts from the original lines and design of the car. Thus, I simply don't have one installed. And I'm totally cool with it.

Second of all, who said I preferred that we as a society detract from solving the world's hard-fought conflicts for the sake of adjusting the laws of front license plates? Chill out man, it's a thread about front license plates, so that's what we're discussing. If you don't think it's a valid topic, then check out another thread.
Again, I apologize for ranting. I merely was attempting to point out that, in the scheme of things, whether to obey the law regarding displaying front license plates would appear to be a relatively minor issue. You believe that having a front license plate detracts from the beauty of your car and you are entitled to that opinion. I happen to have a different opinion on that subject, and I believe that this Forum allows for such a civil exchange of differing opinions.
Old 09-07-06, 06:01 AM
tgara
Pole Position

You are entitled to your opinion and decision about not having a front plate. However, the simple fact is that if your jurisdiction requires a front plate and you choose not to mount with one, you run the risk of being cited for a violation. You better be cool with that.
Old 09-07-06, 06:02 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thankfully my state (Kentucky) does not require front plates. I do get strange looks from the police when I drive deep into Ohio, (which does require front plates).

Quick Reply: I just got pulled over for not having a front plate