IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I just got pulled over for not having a front plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 08:09 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just got pulled over for not having a front plate

I wasn't issued a ticket, though, because I told the cop that Lexus ordered the wrong screws for the front bracket. I even showed him the front plate holder that I had under the front passenger seat, so he let me go.

But what now? I really don't want to drill into the front of the bumper, let alone having the front look ugly with the plate there. I also don't want to put the plate up on the dash, because that looks so tacky. Anyone have any ideas?

I was thinking about putting the plate in the front air damn, behind the mesh covering. It still wouldn't look as nice as no plate at all, but it'd be better than drilling into the front of the bumper where the plate would look even uglier.

Front plate laws are pointless.
Old 05-28-06, 08:12 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Do we really need a new thread EVERYTIME someone gets pulled over?!?
Old 05-28-06, 08:19 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Double sided tape! Too bad my bumper was drilled already... Boooo Its ok. I got Personal Plates so i guess its a good excuse to actually use more than just 50% of what I paid for.
Old 05-28-06, 08:37 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

You know, I just looked at the front air dam, and it's too narrow for the plate to just sit inside of behind the mesh. Is it illegal to bend a license plate, or shear off the top and bottom borders? I mean, if the numbers are visible, wouldn't that do?
Old 05-28-06, 09:04 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

how often do u get pulled over for not having front plate
if it happens again, then put it on. also avoid places where cops usually hang out sniping ppl.
Old 05-28-06, 09:15 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Well, I've only had the car three days, and I've already been pulled over for it.

Putting a plate on the front totally contradicts the point of spending $35k+ on a well-designed car. The rear is different... there is an entire area dedicated to the license plate. But the front's design is not. There's got to be a way I can somehow fit it into the airdam...
Old 05-28-06, 09:56 PM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol front plate laws are not pointless...its obvious they make it a law because what if you never catch a glimpse of the back of the car hmm the front gives them another way to get the plate numbers...obviously its more of an advantage for the cops but hey wtf can we do about it. its a law.
Old 05-28-06, 10:09 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexy250
lol front plate laws are not pointless...its obvious they make it a law because what if you never catch a glimpse of the back of the car hmm the front gives them another way to get the plate numbers...obviously its more of an advantage for the cops but hey wtf can we do about it. its a law.
there are two reasons to have a front license plate. the first is like you said, if there is a robbery or a stolen car, you have another way of identifying the vehicle, police can spot and identify cars coming and going. second, the reflective paint on the plate helps to see those cars at night, especially parked or disabled ones. since a license plate is less than $2, i'm not so sure you can save a ton of money (maybe some) by eliminating them, seems most one-plate states are more likely to go to two than vice-versa despite motorists numerous petitions. kansas is a one-plate state.
Old 05-28-06, 10:15 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

After searching some other car forums, I found some interesting alternative setups for front license plates. One that I liked in paticular involved bending the top 1.5" of the plate and placing it in the air dam. I think if I were to do that, though, I'd instead bend the bottom 1.5" so that the state name is visible. But what do you guys think about that? I know most states that require front plates state that the plate must not be altered in any way, but would a cop be able to tell from a distance?
Old 05-28-06, 10:19 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Like this:

Old 05-29-06, 12:34 AM
x986
Rookie

That's a pretty good looking solution. On a previous car I cared more about, I cut a plate down, and had a frame made. You had to really look at it to see the change. It worked for four plus years.
Old 05-29-06, 12:49 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Reyngel
After searching some other car forums, I found some interesting alternative setups for front license plates. One that I liked in paticular involved bending the top 1.5" of the plate and placing it in the air dam. I think if I were to do that, though, I'd instead bend the bottom 1.5" so that the state name is visible. But what do you guys think about that? I know most states that require front plates state that the plate must not be altered in any way, but would a cop be able to tell from a distance?
Yeah, they probably won't be able to tell and if they do pull you over, just say it was the result of a freak accident.
Old 05-29-06, 01:38 AM
lexy250
Lead Lap

that is a definite solution. they more than likely will never bother you for that...because you have it on period...
Old 05-29-06, 09:13 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I just got done measuring the height of the opening of the air dam, and it's about 4.25". The height of the space that would include the state name and numbers/letters on a Washington state plate is about 4", so it would fit perfectly!

All I'd have to do, I think, is cut a little off the top and a little off the bottom of the plate, add some rubber lining or foam lining to the top and bottom of the plate to prevent scratching the bumper and ziptie to the mesh grill.

I think I'm going to try it out when my plates arrive...
Old 05-29-06, 09:27 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Double sided tape! Too bad my bumper was drilled already... Boooo Its ok. I got Personal Plates so i guess its a good excuse to actually use more than just 50% of what I paid for.
get this! my dealer drilled holes in my bumper, i told them i didn't like them, so, they are filling them, repainting them and redoing my clear bra so there are no holes in that either....for free!!!!

Quick Reply: I just got pulled over for not having a front plate