IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Becareful what you wish for (debadging topic!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-06, 03:01 PM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becareful what you wish for (debadging topic!)

I finished a round of golf yesterday, and softly closed my trunk after depositing clubs/shoes into aforementioned cubbyhole, and heard a "tink" behind me. Went back to the rear of the car to find the "Lexus" Black Pearl logoed emblem on the asphalt parking lot, and viola!, glanced to my right and saw the "I" of the "IS" sitting sideways. There were slight traces of the gluey adhesive which were easily rubbed off of the paint with no traces, using only the tip of my index finger.

I made a spot decision to rid myself of these unsightly nuisances, and within 20 minutes at home in my garage had everything off except the "L" logo in the center of the trunk lid.

I LOVE IT! Made a mistake in paying for this crap, and let the dealer know, and they're aghast! Want me to fish the bloody mess out of the trash to bring in and show the shoddy quality to the installer, but to heck with it. This is the way I wanted it to look in the first place. And NOT because I've got a 250, but because the entire ..."LEXUS, AWD IS 250" is too much when they've got their logo on the front, back, steering wheel, name on two illuminated scuff plates etc.

I posted pics on the IS gallery. The holes are the size of a decent nail, with a black backing just behind them, so no clear hole through the metal. Judge for yourself whether you can see without being 12 inches away, and know what you're looking for.
Old 05-29-06, 05:33 PM
x986
Rookie

Source of badges?
Old 05-29-06, 05:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solomoan
I finished a round of golf yesterday, and softly closed my trunk after depositing clubs/shoes into aforementioned cubbyhole, and heard a "tink" behind me. Went back to the rear of the car to find the "Lexus" Black Pearl logoed emblem on the asphalt parking lot, and viola!, glanced to my right and saw the "I" of the "IS" sitting sideways. There were slight traces of the gluey adhesive which were easily rubbed off of the paint with no traces, using only the tip of my index finger.

I made a spot decision to rid myself of these unsightly nuisances, and within 20 minutes at home in my garage had everything off except the "L" logo in the center of the trunk lid.

I LOVE IT! Made a mistake in paying for this crap, and let the dealer know, and they're aghast! Want me to fish the bloody mess out of the trash to bring in and show the shoddy quality to the installer, but to heck with it. This is the way I wanted it to look in the first place. And NOT because I've got a 250, but because the entire ..."LEXUS, AWD IS 250" is too much when they've got their logo on the front, back, steering wheel, name on two illuminated scuff plates etc.

I posted pics on the IS gallery. The holes are the size of a decent nail, with a black backing just behind them, so no clear hole through the metal. Judge for yourself whether you can see without being 12 inches away, and know what you're looking for.
so why do you wish to have the lexus removed from your car but you call yourself a "lexus" driver? if i spot your car anywhere around the state, i'll let you know if i can see those holes lol.
Old 05-30-06, 12:18 AM
lexy250
Lead Lap

i removed all my badges and placed only the "L" logo in black pearl...oo sexy at night. anyways yea the holes are small but still pretty easy to spot for me at least...my badges havent had any problems tho. ill post pics sometime =P
Old 05-30-06, 12:18 AM
lexy250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
so why do you wish to have the lexus removed from your car but you call yourself a "lexus" driver? if i spot your car anywhere around the state, i'll let you know if i can see those holes lol.

Dont need it to say lexus when you have a fat "L" in the middle lol...
Old 05-30-06, 05:53 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default EXACTLY, Lexy250

The front of the car and back both have the large, black pearl, distinctive "L" circled logo. Most knowledgeable drivers instantly recognize that symbol and know that they're seeing a Lexus.

My source was my dealer in KC, MO. He had explained that the normal badges are removed, and sent to a contract outsource company in Texas who applies the "black pearl" or "gold" plating, and returns to the dealer for installation. They would not give me back my original chrome badging after the black pearls were installed. I am happy to have both "L" badges in black pearl, and they appear to be securely attached.

Bottom line, is that for those of us who like the cleaner look of a debadged back, I now can vouch for it being possible and barely noticeable. And not hard at all to remove the adhesive. Dental floss, hair dryer and the tip of your finger.
Old 05-30-06, 06:21 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

the funny part about de/re-badging is, the only people who will notice, are the ones who know that its not supposed to be that way. no one else cares

interesting like that.
Old 05-30-06, 07:28 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

i would even venture to guess that people who debadge do so for one of three reasons: they got something to hide/trying to be deceptive, don't like the way the car looks with the badges, or would prefer not to advertise for dealership/brand. my 2 cents.
Old 05-30-06, 08:29 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Default Good point #2...

I like the look without the badges. That's all. Just personal preference, and did it with my prior Lexus GX 470 (04). I wouldn't suggest that anyone else do this, except the posters who, in the past have expressed the same desire that I had, and were worried about very visible, gaping post holes being exposed.
Old 05-30-06, 08:30 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

My dealer said many folks who own a 250 remove the 250 nameplate hoping others will think its a 350. Kind of a cheesey move. But the best are the ones who install the IS350 nameplate on an IS250.
Old 05-30-06, 08:37 AM
Frisco
Driver

Lots of BMW 325 owners do the same thing. Thinking maybe someone will think it's a 330
Old 05-30-06, 08:38 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Wink Understand the 350 for 250 is amateurish

Just wanted the cleanest look possible. There's some pics in the general gallery from Kaileh250 on a new 4Runner, where he's taken everything off of the sides & back, and posts a pic of "alphabet soup"...something like 27 different letters and numbers glued onto the SUV that he has removed. A sleek look in my opinion.

Would also think that someday, those subbing in the 350 badges on a 250 will run into trouble when selling or trading, and have to debadge or put back on the 250...good luck in that endeavor!

I realize this is pure personal preference. I have seen my IS with the original chrome, then the black pearl emblems, and now debadged, so have a frame of reference from which to deal.

It's all good, and to each his own!
Old 05-30-06, 01:16 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Looks good Solomoan! I like the clean look, but I think a nice LEXUS logo license plate frame would look good on it. or would that defeat the purpose?
Old 05-30-06, 02:34 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frisco
Lots of BMW 325 owners do the same thing. Thinking maybe someone will think it's a 330
Lot's of M3 owners do the same thing... Thinking maybe someone will think it's a 330...
Old 05-30-06, 02:35 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
If I could remove the IS350 from my car, and not have holes, I'd do it. (I'd leave the L in the middle and remove the left and right badges... in a moment....) But since I don't like the idea of holes in the trunk, the badges stay.

Quick Reply: Becareful what you wish for (debadging topic!)