IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I LOVE MY LEXUS!!!.........But.....(thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 11:46 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by kappy
Just a few gripes:

- Poor choice of location for trunk and filler door release buttons
Also, for some reason they aren't lighted.

- Can't transfer phone book from Verizon phones
How is that a gripe with your Lexus? Disabling the object push profile was a deliberate choice made by Verizon -- your beef is with them.
Old 06-02-06, 01:06 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a few gripes:
- Can't transfer phone book from Verizon phones
Bichon is right. Verizon is the one that neuters phones. Lexus can't do anything about what Verizon deliberately strips off their phones. Protest them like I did and take your hard earned $$ to someone who doesn't neuter their phones.

- No driver 1/driver 2 memory settings
What do you mean with this one? There are 3 driver and 3 passenger memory settings. Do you mean settings for something other than seat/mirror/steering?
Old 06-02-06, 02:22 PM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

Ditto on everything so far.
Additionally I don't like:

1. Too many rattles and squeeks. Interior fit and finish is atrocious (dashboard and center console, there are even some coming from the back seats and front side windows).
2. Knowing the problems with the brake dust I'd say the wheel's design is not the best. Too many spokes make it very difficult to clean the wheels.
3. No driver side left arm rest ability. Ergonomic bad design leaves no easy way to rest your left arm on the door frame.
4. Clock ... for a great one look at the Infiniti G35 for example. The plastic around the clock is also very cheap and scratches easily.
5. iPOD support is lacking. The sound supporting the iPOD is very bad.
6. The IS350 looks no different than the IS250. There should be more distinguishing features. When you come up to the line with someone else they assume that you have the 250 which is as slow as a boat anchor. Every %$%$#$# mini-van wants to race you since they don't respect the performance of the 350 thinking it's a 250.
7. Overall the Lexus NAV is much better than the one in the Infiniti G35. However, there are a few better features in the Infiniti. 3D screen is very nice and the streets/names are much more detailed and visible on the G35. The legal crap needs to go. Let's just sign a waiver and be done with this B.S. When you bring the car in for service you should have the option to sign a piece of paper to avoid having to push that button every time you start the car.
8. For the price of the 350 there should be AT LEAST driver side memory switches for the seats.
Old 06-02-06, 02:35 PM
bnet504
Driver School Candidate

I don't like how the trunk pass through only opens from the inside of the trunk instead of opening from the inside like it does in my dad's 06 Avalon. It's prettry much useless for us in the IS because we use it in the Avalon to stow the sunshade or umbrella or something in the trunk and to enable us easy access to them without having to get out to open the trunk.
Old 06-02-06, 02:53 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you that have 8 or more gripes, assuming you own one, why did you buy the car?
Old 06-02-06, 04:44 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

re: memory seats...it's an option. There are plenty of $35K cars out there without them...if you want them, buy the option or package that includes it

re: brake dust...I invite you to NEVER own a vehicle produced in Germany

re: No integrated radio, satellite and cell phone shark fin antenna - are you f@#$ing joking? I have integrated XM and my antenna is hidden under the rear window. My cell phone has its own antenna. My radio antenna is inside the rear window. My navigation antenna is hidden in the rear-view mirror cluster. Why on earth would I want a shark fin antenna on my roof?

re: no Sirius yet...not the car manufacturer's fault, the car is prepped for satellite - blame the idiots at Sirius and their kit vendor choice and go with XM

re: IS250 underpowered....no one forced you to buy the castrated version

There are plenty of valid gripes in this thread, but I also see a healthy portion of whiiiiiining.

Last edited by conekiller; 06-02-06 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-02-06, 06:17 PM
knox_sport
Driver

re: annoying seat belt alarms.

if you search this forum you'll find the sequence to turn it off listed multiple times. It takes less than a minute!
Old 06-02-06, 06:28 PM
mike841
Driver School Candidate

All I can say is WAAAAAAAAA.

Last edited by mike841; 06-02-06 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-03-06, 10:16 AM
jjohur
Driver School Candidate

My wife's Acura CL has drive side memory settings and we paid $31k for the S type. My old Nissan Maxima and Nissan Pathfinder had driver side memory seats and those cars were below and around $30k.
As far as whining is concerned this should also be construed as constructive criticism and hopefully someone at Lexus is looking at these posts for potential improvements in the future.

Some of these details cannot be found out during any test drives. Only during longer drives do you find out any limitations of a car.

I purchased the Lexus based on Consumer Reports recommendations and the Lexus implied quality. I have to admit, however, that the superior quality is somewhat lacking. I had two Nissan cars before and NEVER had an issue with either of them and drove them until they had 90k miles each. However, I did purchase an Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe and it had tons of problems.

I guess a much more expensive car from Lexus or Infiniti does not guarantee a better product. Even these manufacturers occasionally manufacture cars of bad quality. They might statistically have a better average than other car manufactures as a whole but some people still get burned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy with the engine performance. But when you buy a Lexus you expect a PERFECT car. They have raised the bar and have created a customer expection that perceives anything less of perfect as a disappointment in the minds of many consumers. I guess that's what happens when you strive for excellence.

The mistake was buying the IS350 during its first year introduction. That was my big mistake.
Old 06-03-06, 10:21 AM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jjohur
Some of these details cannot be found out during any test drives. Only during longer drives do you find out any limitations of a car.
Well said, and very true!....
Old 06-03-06, 10:27 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
it has nothing to do with the stereo. the rear view mirror isn't mounted to the glass, but to the roof panel. as speed increase air passing over the roof panel increases its vibration which travels to the rear view.

drive around the interstate at 60,70 w/ no music and it will still shake a good bit
Your rear view mirror is mounted to the roof panel? Mine's mounted on the front windscreen and only vibrates slightly when the volume is turned right up.
Old 06-03-06, 11:10 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Your rear view mirror is mounted to the roof panel? Mine's mounted on the front windscreen and only vibrates slightly when the volume is turned right up.
I know for a fact that the bass from my stereo makes the rear view mirror shake and vibrate more. If I am driving down the freeway at 55 or 60, I can turn the loud music on and off and the rearview mirror will shake and stop shaking in tune with the radio. No question about that, it is a fact.
Old 06-03-06, 07:12 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by uschardcor
it has nothing to do with the stereo. the rear view mirror isn't mounted to the glass, but to the roof panel. as speed increase air passing over the roof panel increases its vibration which travels to the rear view.

drive around the interstate at 60,70 w/ no music and it will still shake a good bit
totally disagree...mine only shakes when the music/bass is booming and it always shakes in time with each pulsation of the bass.
Old 06-04-06, 07:46 PM
Oum'sIS
Rookie

The mirror thing is annoying and I think its more shoddy construction rather than the stereo(eventhough I have to say the stock stereo is much nicer than a BMW or a MB).
Also, brake dust is inevitable in premium cars bc of the high-grade materials in break pads these days. My MB and BMW both had rediculous amounts of brake dust, but the Bimmer probably had it worse.
I personally cant stand the fact that the keyless entry system wont allow the whole car to be unlocked rather than just the driver's door(I think I can change this at the dealer, so whatever)
But hell, for all these gripes, I'm extremely happy with my 250 and wouldnt change it for a 325 any day. I hope al the other owners here can say that, or else they just bought the wrong car.
Old 06-04-06, 08:58 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Oum'sIS
I personally cant stand the fact that the keyless entry system wont allow the whole car to be unlocked rather than just the driver's door(I think I can change this at the dealer, so whatever)
Go to your car and hold down both the lock & unlock button on your key fob until you hear a beep. The next time you hit unlock, all 4 doors will unlock at once.

Quick Reply: I LOVE MY LEXUS!!!.........But.....(thread)