Override DVD player function

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 01:30 AM
s0l0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Override DVD player function

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if there is a way to override the DVD player function of having the e-brake on and car in Parking? Can I make it play DVD while the car is moving ? I'm tired of reading the owner's manual for that, I can't seem to find a way to make it play while car is in motion. Thanks for the help in advance.
[/FONT]
Old 05-31-06, 04:43 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

search the forums. there's a mod but it takes some wiring cutting/binding
Old 05-31-06, 06:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 268 Likes on 238 Posts

You won't find it in the owners manual, since it is a violation of federal law to display video on a screen visible to the driver while the vehicle is in moion.

People are modifying their units to get around this restriction, but I can't help but wonder whether they are giving their insurance company an "out" in the event of a big liability judgement, especially one alleging driver inattention.
Old 05-31-06, 07:56 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
You won't find it in the owners manual, since it is a violation of federal law to display video on a screen visible to the driver while the vehicle is in moion.

People are modifying their units to get around this restriction, but I can't help but wonder whether they are giving their insurance company an "out" in the event of a big liability judgement, especially one alleging driver inattention.
Each state has their own laws on this topic. Here's the 2005 state laws for your reference. Still lots of NONEs for many states. I'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that an insurance company wouldn't be able to hold you liable if the state didn't. Since some states have laws, Lexus must implement for everyone.

Watching TV in your car is only a ticket in most states, you most likely won't go to jail or get arrested or get a reckless driving. In most states, you can get the same ticket for watching your nav if your driving is inattentive but you cannot get a ticket simply for having your nav ON in the front seat while driving. However, you can get a ticket in some states for simply having your tv ON in the front seat while driving.

Driver inattention has already been cited and determined as the cause for many accidents, so if you are watching TV illegally in your car and you get cited for this, you will face the same problems that anyone else would face. However, if you are not watching TV and you are not cited for it and you are not the cause of the accident, you don't have to worry about the insurance company changing the facts and making you responsible just because you have a mod. It would be the same thing if you have any other mod on your car, like one for speed. You don't get blamed for speeding and causing an accident if you were going 35 in a 40 and someone else hit you and you had the speed limiter defeated on your car.

This is a pretty good article from 2003. And here is an article from just a few months ago showing how states are scrambling to update laws to enhance the ineffective ones they already have. Seems most laws already in place exempt GPS displays and are weak on driver intent and only include television broadcasts (not dvds, playstations, etc).
Old 05-31-06, 08:00 AM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Does the "NONE" mean no laws prohibiting TVs??? Or does it mean NO TVs whatsoever?