IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 Top Ten Best Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 09:21 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboRush
Even S4's... early 2001 S4's are famous for dying turbo's, poor connecting clamps, etc... that's why when you look for an S4 you want 2001.5+ as many of these intial bugs were fixed... give the Mazdaspeed 6 a year or 2 and it'll get better... I could go on about other cars too
My 2000 S4 (bought in '99) that was still on it's original set of turbos when I traded it last December. And that was after years of running it WITH a high performace chip that increased boost pressure. I credit Mobil 1 oil, always allowing ample time for the car to warm up before tromping on the gas, and allowing a 2 minute cool-down before shutting it off after hard or prolonged driving. The two times I noticed a drop in performance, I gingerly limped the car home and fixed the problem. (Torn throttle body hose) Way too many people would have responded to the performance drop by flooring the gas to test things out, which is akin to someone who feels chest pains deciding to run the 100 yard dash to see how bad things are.

That said, the main problem with the turbo S4s were that the K03s are a bit too small, even at stock boost levels. If I was looking for a used S4, I'd look for one that was upgraded with bigger (e.g. K04) replacement turbos.
Old 06-01-06, 09:49 AM
TurboRush
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
My 2000 S4 (bought in '99) that was still on it's original set of turbos when I traded it last December. And that was after years of running it WITH a high performace chip that increased boost pressure. I credit Mobil 1 oil, always allowing ample time for the car to warm up before tromping on the gas, and allowing a 2 minute cool-down before shutting it off after hard or prolonged driving. The two times I noticed a drop in performance, I gingerly limped the car home and fixed the problem. (Torn throttle body hose) Way too many people would have responded to the performance drop by flooring the gas to test things out, which is akin to someone who feels chest pains deciding to run the 100 yard dash to see how bad things are.

That said, the main problem with the turbo S4s were that the K03s are a bit too small, even at stock boost levels. If I was looking for a used S4, I'd look for one that was upgraded with bigger (e.g. K04) replacement turbos.
Well, ofcourse when I was considering one I was looking for all the bad. Probably a case, "if something is bad, you tell 10 people, if its good you don't tell anybody"... still, always have and always will love the S4's..