IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Noob question? car washes at dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-06, 03:36 PM
importbeat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Noob question? car washes at dealer

I read somewhere that you can take your car into any dealer and they will wash your car for you for free? is there any truth to this or did you have to by that protection package to be able to do that...My black 250 looks awfully dirty
Old 05-31-06, 03:43 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by importbeat
I read somewhere that you can take your car into any dealer and they will wash your car for you for free? is there any truth to this or did you have to by that protection package to be able to do that...My black 250 looks awfully dirty
It seems to be dealers specific.

I would not recommend having the dealership wash your car especially since it's black. You can get swirl marks on black with a dirty look.
Old 05-31-06, 03:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is likely that if you take your new lexus to any other lexus dealership, they will probably give you a free carwash if you ask and are willing to wait and they have time to do it.
Old 05-31-06, 04:11 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kensteele
It is likely that if you take your new lexus to any other lexus dealership, they will probably give you a free carwash if you ask and are willing to wait and they have time to do it.
^what he said....It's not a rush job for them, however, the time I have been back to have them wash mine, they told me it would be about an hour wait...only to have it done it about 30......
Old 05-31-06, 04:57 PM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I wont let them wash it if I got Paied $5 per wash for them to wash it... anymore... maybe.
Old 05-31-06, 07:07 PM
Aclarke
Driver

I got nice scratches in my hood from the lovely car wash they provided with my 5K service... next time i know to say PASS!
Old 05-31-06, 08:17 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say a no-no. Not just a matter of trust in dealer's ability but who cares about the car as much as the owners do?
Old 05-31-06, 08:28 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to the advice in this forum, I've never let the dealer wash my car. I either do it myself or take it one of those touchless carwash places.
Old 05-31-06, 10:09 PM
Kavistar
Rookie

Originally Posted by dkaplan435
Thanks to the advice in this forum, I've never let the dealer wash my car. I either do it myself or take it one of those touchless carwash places.
What do people think of touchless carwashes? I used to wash my 98 Accord by hand, then got lazy and started going through the touchless carwashes. I already purchased all of my supplies to wash my IS by hand, but I am still curious what people think about them.
Old 06-01-06, 08:49 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Kavistar
What do people think of touchless carwashes? I used to wash my 98 Accord by hand, then got lazy and started going through the touchless carwashes. I already purchased all of my supplies to wash my IS by hand, but I am still curious what people think about them.
A touchless car wash in the ONLY kind of automatic car wash I'd use. I still prefer to handwash, since I do a better job, and don't subject the paint to the harsh detergents and solvents that a touchless wash uses. But for those times when you can't do it yourself, at least the touchless won't create swirls in the paint.
Old 06-01-06, 08:56 AM
Stanzilla
Driver School Candidate

Don't let Sterling McCall Lexus wash your car.
They scrathed mine all to hell when I took it in. I made them rebuff the car. Mine is black as well.
Old 06-01-06, 12:21 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I also got a bunch of swirl marks with the first wash they did after I had to take it back in a few days after my purchase. I think I will pass too.

If you have a light colored car, you should be OK. If it is dark, then probably should avoid.
Old 06-01-06, 04:05 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends on how **** you are about your car. Dealership wash guys are not very careful. Unless you get a car straight off the boat and ask them not to detail it, you probably already got some scratches on your paint.

The touchless ones are not too much better. If you have an older car that has been through a lot and does not need to be in pristine paint condition, then use the car washes. It is too hard to tell how often they rotate their towels as they can get swirls on your car from drying it. You can also get a meticulous guy one day and a sloppy guy another. Too many variables. Obviously, some places are better than others. The hard part is how would you know. Also, if you have low profile tires, larger rims, and are lowered, skip the carwashes as those rails will be problems for your rims.

If at all possible, do it yourself. I am not saying that you will not cause scratches on your car but you will be more careful with your car and this will greatly minimize paint issues. OTOH, if you are not the ****, careful type, the I guess a car wash should be fine.
Old 06-01-06, 04:21 PM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true for 90% of dealers, the ones who have a car wash (fact based on personal experiance)

well the two in columbus and the two i have been to in the carolinas and the ones i saw in colorado...