IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cooled Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 08:14 AM
Frisco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried sitting on them naked You should feel a breeze then.
Old 06-01-06, 08:21 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can feel the bottom but I have never felt the back part, I wasn't aware there was a fan in the back.
Old 06-01-06, 08:27 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
If you are expecing to feel the cool breeze on your face all the way from the seat you will be dissapointed, but they do work the way they are meant to work.
Not to gross you out, but my expectation is that it would blow through my tee-shirt and evaporate the sweat off my back. In particular, I need this during the 10 minutes between when I first start the car up on a hot day and when the air conditioner has the cabin reasonably cool.

Instead, the only thing it does is cool my crotch, and it only does that after about 1/2 hour of driving, assuming I redirect the A/C output to the floor.
Old 06-01-06, 08:47 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Originally Posted by r6z9r
I can feel the bottom but I have never felt the back part, I wasn't aware there was a fan in the back.
It's on the upper back, you can feel it if you put your hand there. I am 5'7 so it may not be as upper if you are tall. I wish it was a bit lower or I was taller. Both would be nice
Old 06-01-06, 09:53 AM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Turn on your air conditioner but make sure the cold air comes out for both the front vents as well as the foot vents. When you press Auto (A/C), the cold air only comes out of the front vents. When the cold air circulates to the floor of the cabin, it is sucked by the ventilated seats to you tush. It feels a lot colder.

Also, don't forget that the way the seat is positioned and what you are wearing are all factors to how cold your bottom gets.
I'm going to try this today... thanks for the tip.

Because yeah, mine feel relatively weak, too. But I do acknowledge that it's not supposed to be a huge gust of air. Maybe in a year or so there will be be a fix from the dealer to boost the power or something.
Old 06-01-06, 12:06 PM
Turkoman
Pole Position

I was also disappointed with this. This was a feature I was really, really looking forward to and when comparing the IS with other cars, it was in the positive column (not available in the BMW 3, have to jump hoops to order on the BMW 5, and almost non-existent in Infiniti and officially non-existent in the Acura RL). When I first tried this, it was winter and since it recirculates, it had really felt cool then. Now I have to pay attention to notice it is working when it is 95 degrees out.

I figured out the three ventilated settings though:

1. Weakest
2. Weaker
3. Really Weak

I think 1 and 2 are comparable to 0 and 3 really should have been 1.
Old 06-01-06, 04:38 PM
phish2112
Driver

my driver side seat ventilation works fine, but passenger hardly works at all. I wonder if every seat is different depending on how it was made, foam cushion, etc...

I'm pretty upset about the passenger seat not working. I'm even thinking of taking it in to the dealer to look at. I'm goign to have to try it again with Philips suggestion....I might have always had the dual mode on and the different settings were making the difference
Old 06-01-06, 06:54 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I tried Philip's suggestion today, and didn't notice any improvement.
Old 06-01-06, 07:44 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

I tested it too. My Auto was already off, then I turned off the front blowers and pushed legs only. Hardly any air came out. I was trying to feel around while I was driving to see where the vents were as I couldn't feel anything. Just looked now with a flashlight and there is a little white plastic thing above the gas pedal where the air must come from. It is very small and if that is the only vent for legs it is pretty worthless too. I felt a little air from the seats when I had both front and legs turned on and I was wearing shorts and all sweaty from the gym. I would have thought I would have felt it more then but didn't.
Old 06-01-06, 07:59 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frisco
Have you tried sitting on them naked You should feel a breeze then.
that's kinda gross. who would sit naked in their car?
Old 06-01-06, 08:15 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

Damn i hope mine work pretty well like some of you . . . this was one of the best features I thought with the car
Old 06-01-06, 10:46 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

I was very excited about this feature when I bought my IS350 since I live in Arizona. It is anywhere from 105 to 115 June through August. I figured this feature would help cool my backside and the car a little quicker ---- WRONG! It has been about 109 the past few days and when I get in the car and get the air going on full blast, the seat air SUCKS. It is really hot air and makes everything worse. Since there is not anyway to cool the air in the seats, it can only blow the hot air in the car. Granted you can put the floor vents on with the top vents to increase the floor circulation, but that takes way too long. Nice idea by Lexus but it has a very poor implementation. Maybe they will read this thread and change the 2007 or 2008 models? Best part about this submission though - this is my ONLY complaint on the car. I love it!
Old 06-02-06, 03:08 AM
LexusSara
Rookie

Someone told me that if they put a more powerfull fan in the seats for cooling, the holes whistles.
Old 06-02-06, 04:40 AM
phish2112
Driver

all they need to do is run a couple tube to vent straight from the a/c, then you'd get some cooling with freon.

btw my back seat vents don't work at all.
Old 06-02-06, 05:10 AM
Bengalfang
Driver

Originally Posted by is4me2
I tested it too. My Auto was already off, then I turned off the front blowers and pushed legs only. Hardly any air came out. I was trying to feel around while I was driving to see where the vents were as I couldn't feel anything. Just looked now with a flashlight and there is a little white plastic thing above the gas pedal where the air must come from. It is very small and if that is the only vent for legs it is pretty worthless too. I felt a little air from the seats when I had both front and legs turned on and I was wearing shorts and all sweaty from the gym. I would have thought I would have felt it more then but didn't.
We'll have to compare on Saturday.

Seems to me like every seat must be different. Especially after read how the passenger side doesn't work as well as the driver side on the post above. Mine work great, whenever I put it on 3 I always end up getting cold. I leave the A/C on auto the whole time. Never tried the passenger seat before.

Quick Reply: Cooled Seats