IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cooled Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 05:26 AM
IS-250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooled Seats

I picked up my car in the end of March (I cannot beleive it has already been 2 months), and I have been using the cooled seats and I cannot help but notice that they are terrible. They definately do work decently for the first 20-30 minutes but after that, they are completely useless. I even tried putting my hand on the seat as I realize that I probably just got immune to the cooled seats after sitting in them for a while but I cannot even feel any air at all when I place my hand on the seat. Is there a TSB out for this?
Old 06-01-06, 05:32 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-250
I picked up my car in the end of March (I cannot beleive it has already been 2 months), and I have been using the cooled seats and I cannot help but notice that they are terrible. They definately do work decently for the first 20-30 minutes but after that, they are completely useless. I even tried putting my hand on the seat as I realize that I probably just got immune to the cooled seats after sitting in them for a while but I cannot even feel any air at all when I place my hand on the seat. Is there a TSB out for this?
I don't know, but I've been using mine lately and love them. I can def feel the air coming out of them and they also fill the cabin with a funny leathery smell. I'm really not sure how they work, but they do produce cool air, so i'm wondering if it's part of the A/C system. I know I can hear fans of sort blowing when I turn on the seat coolers (fanny freezers)

Hmm I wonder if they are using this technology.
http://www.amerigon.com/technology.php

Last edited by caymandive; 06-01-06 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-01-06, 06:13 AM
LexusSara
Rookie

if you are on a date and gassy, don't turn this on....

guranteed to magnify the puff really fast.

my brother did it and I had to stop the car for a while with the windows down and the moor open
Old 06-01-06, 06:20 AM
ISMaximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusSara

my brother did it and I had to stop the car for a while with the windows down and the moor open
Your car came with a moor option? Wow...that's pretty cool I guess.
Old 06-01-06, 06:25 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LexusSara

This is what would be going on in the car if my passenger did the puff test.
Old 06-01-06, 06:25 AM
PW007
Rookie

A couple of days ago I was waiting in a parking lot for a friend and decided to try my ventilated seats...I was very surprised that when set on the highest setting, I could actually feel the air coming up through the seats and hitting my face...I was very impressed.
Old 06-01-06, 06:39 AM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

i might have to agree with is250 then. cause mine. well i can feel a little bit of air but not much at all on the highest settings.

from what i know its supposed to re-circulate air, and isn't attached tot he A/C. the bottom is supposed to be mroe powerfull thhan the backs.

anyone want to confirm? might be a problem...
Old 06-01-06, 06:39 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Mine aren't working very well either. Wasn't getting any air even though I had it on high and 75 degrees. Been fiddling around with it and it seems that the temperature has to be set about 73 or below and on medium to high for air to come out of them.
Old 06-01-06, 07:01 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The best way to feel the cold air...

Turn on your air conditioner but make sure the cold air comes out for both the front vents as well as the foot vents. When you press Auto (A/C), the cold air only comes out of the front vents. When the cold air circulates to the floor of the cabin, it is sucked by the ventilated seats to you tush. It feels a lot colder.

Also, don't forget that the way the seat is positioned and what you are wearing are all factors to how cold your bottom gets.
Old 06-01-06, 07:17 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

Cool

Thanks PhilipMSPT,

I guess my problem was I had it in AUTO. I kept checking that I had it in front and legs and the picture showed it was, but I wasn't really feeling anything on legs, so it must be because I had it in AUTO. Will test your theory tonight and take it off AUTO
Old 06-01-06, 07:31 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

I've now had the chance to sample the ventilated seats in three ISs. My car, a colleague's IS350, and an IS250AWD loaner. All three were the same, a very weak stream of air that could barely be felt, even with the setting on "3". I agree with the first poster that called them "terrible".
Old 06-01-06, 07:33 AM
jjwalker
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=LexusSara]if you are on a date and gassy, don't turn this on....

QUOTE]

Of course, once you are married you can resume this behavior, LOL.
Old 06-01-06, 07:46 AM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS-250
Mine works fine. I love them. When I first try them, i thought it was very cool feature.
Old 06-01-06, 07:53 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

If you are expecing to feel the cool breeze on your face all the way from the seat you will be dissapointed, but they do work the way they are meant to work.
Old 06-01-06, 08:03 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by uschardcor
from what i know its supposed to re-circulate air, and isn't attached tot he A/C. the bottom is supposed to be mroe powerfull thhan the backs.

anyone want to confirm? might be a problem...
On the AC part of your post, I recently spoke with someone at my local Lexus dealer about these seats and he told me only the LS430 actually has AC hooked up inline with the vented seats (had a name for it, forget what it was) but the other models simply pushed air through them... we spoke specifically about the 2IS and the new ES350

Quick Reply: Cooled Seats